12 Must-Read Quotes From Bishop Paprocki’s Same-Sex Marriage Exorcism

Paprocki3In a much-publicized event on Wednesday that coincided with Governor Pat Quinn signing gay marriage into law in Illinois, Bishop Thomas Paprocki of Springfield led the faithful in “Prayers of Supplication and Exorcism in Reparation for the Sin of Same-Sex Marriage.”

In his homily at the service, Bishop Paprocki demonstrated once again why he is emerging as one of the most articulate, steadfast, and intrepid defenders of marriage in the Catholic Church in America.

Bishop Paprocki’s entire homily is worth reading.  Here I’ve excerpted some of the highlights.

A few of the quotes are longer than others, but worth it.  Some contain quotes by Pope Francis, the Catechism, or Scripture.  Some of the quotes are poignant and direct.  Some are explanatory and edifying.  Some show Bishop Paprocki’s courage.  Others show his humility.  Others, his compassion.

They all show charity, and they all show a shepherd who loves Christ, the Church, and the souls he is charged with with apostolic zeal.

1.   I wish to preface my reflections by saying that I am conducting this prayer service and am speaking to you now with great reluctance. I did not seek to enter any controversy and I don’t relish being part of one. But I have given this matter a great deal of thought and prayer, which has led me to the conviction that God is calling me to speak out and conduct these prayers.

2.   Our prayers at this time are prompted by the fact that the Governor of Illinois today is signing into Illinois law the redefinition of civil marriage, introducing not only an unprecedented novelty into our state law, but also institutionalizing an objectively sinful reality.

3.   It is not hateful to say that an immoral action is sinful. On the contrary, the most compassionate thing we can do is help people to turn away from sin. To ignore another person’s wrongful actions is a sign of apathy or indifference, while fraternal correction is motivated by love for that person’s well-being, as can be seen by the fact that our Lord Jesus himself urged such correction. Indeed, the call to repentance is at the heart of the Gospel, as Jesus proclaimed, “The Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent and believe the Good News” (Mark 1:15).

4.   The Good News is that God’s mercy and forgiveness extend to those who repent. Mercy does not mean approving of something that is sinful, but does absolve the wrongdoer after a change of heart takes place in the sinner through the gift of God’s grace.

5.   I do not stand here before you as a self-righteous saint who has achieved spiritual perfection, but as a sinner who has received Jesus into his heart as his Lord and Savior.

6.   This is a key point which the secularists are missing: they think that stressing God’s mercy means that sins are no longer sins. On the contrary, God’s mercy is a great gift of grace precisely because sins are sins and they call for repentance and forgiveness.

7.   The fact is that a “minor exorcism” takes place in every Baptism and Confirmation ceremony when we renounce Satan and all his works and empty promises. This prayer service will be along those lines. I’m not saying that anyone involved in the redefinition of marriage is possessed by the devil, which, if that were the case, would require the remedy of a “Major Exorcism,” but all of us are certainly subject to the devil’s evil influences and in need of protection and deliverance from evil.

8.   Our prayer service today and my words are not meant to demonize anyone, but are intended to call attention to the diabolical influences of the devil that have penetrated our culture, both in the state and in the Church. These demonic influences are not readily apparent to the undiscerning eye, which is why they are so deceptive.

9.   The deception of the Devil in same-sex marriage may be understood by recalling the words of Pope Francis when he faced a similar situation as Archbishop of Buenos Aires in 2010. Regarding the proposed redefinition of civil marriage in Argentina, then-Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio wrote on June 22, 2010, “The Argentine people must face, in the next few weeks, a situation whose result may gravely harm the family. It is the bill on matrimony of persons of the same sex. The identity of the family, and its survival, are in jeopardy here: father, mother, and children. The life of so many children who will be discriminated beforehand due to the lack of human maturity that God willed them to have with a father and a mother is in jeopardy. A clear rejection of the law of God, engraved in our hearts, is in jeopardy. . . . Let us not be naive: it is not a simple political struggle; it is an intention [which is] destructive of the plan of God. It is not a mere legislative project (this is a mere instrument), but rather a ‘move’ of the father of lies who wishes to confuse and deceive the children of God.”   The Pope’s reference to the “father of lies” comes from the Gospel of John (8:44), where Jesus refers to the devil as “a liar and the father of lies.” So Pope Francis is saying that same-sex “marriage” comes from the devil and should be condemned as such.

10.   The work of discouragement by the Devil in same-sex marriage is apparent in the message being conveyed to defenders of traditional marriage that the universal redefinition of marriage is unstoppable, so we might as well just stop trying. But the legalization of abortion on demand forty years ago did not silence those who believe that abortion is contrary to God’s law. On the contrary, Roe v. Wade only heightened the need for more concerted efforts to protect all human life from conception to natural death. So, too, the legal redefinition of civil marriage does not put an end to the need for discourse and action to defend natural marriage in accord with God’s plan, but only serves to heighten the need for greater efforts in this regard.

11.   Politicians responsible for enacting civil same-sex marriage legislation are morally complicit as co-operators in facilitating this grave sin.

12.   We must also affirm the teaching of the Catholic Church that homosexual persons “must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.” The Church loves homosexual persons and looks upon them with compassion, offering assistance through support groups such as the Courage Apostolate to live in accord with the virtue of chastity. Indeed, all people all called to chastity, which for a man and woman united in matrimony means for the husband and wife to be faithful to each other.

69 thoughts on “12 Must-Read Quotes From Bishop Paprocki’s Same-Sex Marriage Exorcism

1. Donald Butler says:

Your are brave man and I respect you very much for your comment. I am happy 4 U and pray the love of God will keep U safe.

2. eileen gallo says:

I find great understanding in your comments. Thank you for sharing. May God bless you daily. I know I will pray for you.

3. F.R. Duplantier says:

BAD SAMARITANS
    When a brother has wandered astray,
    Those who love him will show him the way;
    Those who follow the fashion
    Of corrupted compassion
    Will assure him his sin is okay.

4. Philip says:

I lie what you said. I am also a homosexual and I find my happiness through the Lord in prayer and peaceful talks. I am so against gay rights and gay marriage. Marriage is a sacrament and applies to a man and a woman. When I discovered that I was attracted to the same sex I use to cry at night and pray from deep in my heart that God would change me. I am old now and I don’t know why I am this way and I try to live my life the way I know God would want me to. Some people were born with a heart defect, etc. Why? We don’t know. We aren’t suppose to know. Look up at the heavens in the dark of night and look to infinity and explain that to me. I trust in Jesus Christ and I love the Lord Jesus Christ. I know I was made by him. I had one love relationship with another man when I was young. It lasted for seven years. It never worked. I am glad that my faith is strong enough to keep me at peace with myself. I don’t need a partner. God is my love. Sexual desires can be a struggle. Life is full of struggles. Amen Amen

1. Dr K says:

Good for you Brother! I want you to know that there are countless people praying for you every day. We love you, and we want to see you in Heaven! Your faith and pure abandonment to God’s will is a wonderful, shining example to us all!

5. lisag says:

Becoming a follower of Jesus requires a change of heart and life. It requires one to pick up their cross and carry it. This is difficult for those attached to any sin. If a person has based their whole life around a sin, a lie, there would be traumatic consequences to repent. Courage is a truly Catholic group that helps homosexuals leave their sinful lives.

6. B. says:

Hi. In the worlds eyes I am gay, but the truth of it is, I am not reducible to my sexuality. Not only am I body and soul, but I am a child of God, by right of my baptism. I am a Catholic who struggles with same sex attractions, and I am very happy

The best way to help someone that struggles with same sex attractions is to love them. Most of us think Catholics hate us, but that is a misconception. If you love and make long term, meaningful relationships with them, that is what changes people. It is the love of God that changes people. If someone just hears that homosexual actions are wrong they won’t stop anything, but if you introduce them to the love of God they will break their own idols.

A big fear of a person that has same sex inclinations, that are thinking about not giving into them, a big fear I had, is that I will never be loved. This is a lie.

Let the ones that are afraid that they will never be loved be overwhelmed by it. People need to know there is a place in the church for them. That they have the most loving and understanding brothers, sister, fathers, and mothers in Christ waiting for them and most importantly a God willing to die for them. That the most Holy Trinity is waiting for them.

I understand that a lot of people want me to find someone and be at peace and happy. I am happy! I have found perfection! I have found God! What a treasure! No one loves me like he loves me!

We all have a cross and I know telling people with same sex attractions this is tough, but its the truth. It is true, I must die. I must die to my wants and desires, but so do all who follow Christ. But I have a promise. If I die in him I will rise with him and he has my best interest at heart.

So in conclusion, I suggest, like Pope Francis says, witnessing to the love of God to us who struggle. That does not mean remain silent about the same sex marriage issue, but when you encounter a person, a person like me, make sure they leave feeling loved and knowing that you are Catholic. start a relationship if you can and it might take years, but once they are open then introduce them to Christ. Once they love Christ, they will become convicted against sin. Don’t just tell me the Catholic Church thinks that Homosexuality is wrong, Most of us already know that ;) .

1. Alan D. says:

Thank you, B., for your comments. I can’t think of anything that needs to be added on the matter. May God continue to bless you!

2. joey says:

B. I too am gay, although I left the Church. I am not seeking a conversion back at all, so please do not respond with any such language. While I agree that the Church needs to better show its love to people, respecting people for their choices is also necessary. If a same-sex couple is happily married, don’t preach that they need to turn to God to be free from sin. Just respect them as people and understand that they chose that, and move on.

1. Albert says:

The Church by virtue of its purpose – HAS to clearly speak out truth, As always, doing this will cause gnashing of teeth – that’s always been the price.

Beyond that its your life and your wish. You are answerable to God, not to the Church.