A school has been stripped of its Catholic status? Good!

Pontifical Catholic University of Peru

Attending a university that actually upholds the teachings of the Catholic Church is becoming an increasingly difficult task. I wrote about my own experience in grad school a while back, but it seems that I’m not alone in my dissatisfaction with Catholic higher education.

According to the Catholic News Agency, the Vatican has stripped the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru of its Catholic identity for refusing to comply with their requests over the past 22 years.

The first thought that popped into my mind was, “it’s about time!”

In fact, there are a few institutions here in America that should undergo the same treatment. I won’t name names, but it’s common knowledge that attending a Catholic university in this day and age doesn’t necessarily mean you will receive a Catholic education.

One of the problems with Catholic higher education today is that many colleges make the mistake of hiring faculty and staff who are a) not Catholic or b) don’t support the mission of the Catholic Church.

I don’t think it’s necessary to have all employees take a pledge similar to the Diocese of Arlington’s “fidelity oath,” but there should be a preferential option for practicing Roman Catholics.

Hiring practices aren’t the only problem, though. University presidents and boards of trustees deserve some of the blame as well. Their refusal to adhere to John Paul II’s Ex Corde Ecclesia has weakened the Catholic identity of many institutions and has allowed for a slow and creeping secularism to infiltrate Catholic campuses.

Whatever the case may be, far too many Catholic universities have flown under the radar for far too long; it was just a matter of time before the Vatican took a stand.

I just hope it doesn’t take them 22 years to do it again.

Stephen Kokx is an adjunct professor of political science and a featured columnist at RenewAmerica.com. Follow him on twitter @StephenKokx

27 thoughts on “A school has been stripped of its Catholic status? Good!

1. Sean says:

I nominate St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia as a school which is deserving of being stripped of it’s Catholic status. It has something called “Unity Week” every year. It used to be called “Rainbow Week,” until the Catholic community caught on.

If it has a gay-pride week which includes the celebration of the Mass, don’t expect pro-life professors. St. Joe’s is as aggressively secularist-fundamentalist as Temple or Penn, but it gets to fool people by calling itself “Catholic.”

I don’t expect that LaSalle, Villanova, Rosemont, Chestnut Hill, Cabrini, Newman, or Holy Family are much better.

2. christina says:

AMEN!!! My oldest son attended a “Catholic” University in San Diego …. to make a long story short — he is now an aethiest, to my greatest heartbreak :( I was a naive parent and thought that I was getting a Catholic environment for my child — NOPE.

1. Francis says:

I agree, it is heartbreaking to have your child leave the faith. I hope that when he has a family he will understand the importance of establishing a strong foundation for his children, as you did. I would not, however, blame the university, your choices, or other factors. Your son has been presented with the teachings of the church. If he rejects them, that is his decision. Plenty of people rejected Jesus when he was in their very midst. We are going through the same thing. I refuse to blame his Catholic education or ourselves as parents – he is responsible for either embracing or rejecting the faith. He is not “done” yet. I just hope he doesn’t experience a sudden death before he has a chance to figure it all out. I have not given up hope – God works in mysterious ways.

3. CAROL M ALESIA says:

IF THE VATICAN (READ THAT: THE HOLY FATHER) WERE TO START REALLY CLEANING HOUSE OF EVERY PRIEST, NUN AND TEACHER WHOSE MISSION IS TO UNDERMINE THE TEACHINGS OF ROMAN CATHOLICISM, THE CHURCH WOULD BE BETTER FOR IT. CHICAGO HAS A SO-CALLED “PRIEST” WHO IS PROMINENT AND WELL KNOWN FOR HIS RADICAL POSITIONS. BUT, BECAUSE HE HAS INGRATIATED HIMSELF WITH THE ALL-BLACK PARISH BY ADOPTING A PSEUO BLACK PERSONA IN SPEECH, WALK AND PREACHING STYLE, THE PARISHONERS CONTINUE TO DEFEND HIM AND BECOME MILITANT WHENEVER THE CARDINAL THREATENS TO REMOVE HIM FROM THAT PARISH. HE IS ONLY ONE OF MANY PRIESTS AND NUNS WHO SUPPORT ABORTION, HOMOSEXUALITY, ORDAINING WOMEN AS PRIESTS, ETC. THE CHURCH WOULD ONLY BECOME STRONGER IF THESE INDIVIDUALS WERE EXCOMMUNICATED.

1. ccmnxc says:

Not sure why you got a thumbs down. I agree with you. You may have been a little blunt, but then again, Catholics don’t sugar coat to merely “be polite.”

4. Barry says:

Image Chevrolet hiring Henry Ford Great grandson to manage the marketing department and the ads are all in favor of Ford. It would be dumb of Chevrolet to keep him around, wouldn’t it? It is a Catholic School so it should people who will not teach against the belief. Let’s not forget if it weren’t for the Catholic Church we wouldn’t have education as we know it.

1. SCREAMING CAPS says:

Since Steubenville has less than 400 freshmen students, maybe they will get a few more by this and all the other university closings you seem to advocate. Less than 400! That’s really an incredible testimony to the success of the “truth” you folks are trying to spread.