Amazing Wyoming Catholic Video: The Country’s Most Unique Catholic College

The movie wizards at Grassroots Films have created a wonderful promotional video for Wyoming Catholic College. As usual with Grassroots Films productions, it’s an audio and visual banquet:

Tim Drake at the National Catholic Register explains the substance behind the scenes:

Wyoming Catholic College is the country’s most unique Catholic college. I’ve visited, and it’s true.

Located in Lander, Wyoming, it’s the only “campus” I’m aware of that doesn’t have a campus. Presently, the school utilizes Lander’s local Catholic Church for its chapel, the parish school for some of its classrooms, and temporary buildings as residence halls. The other classes take place in rented space in downtown Lander, approximately a mile away. Wyoming Catholic College’s greatest classroom, however, is the outdoors.

What makes the school truly distinctive are its immersive Latin program, the year-long horseback riding program, and the outdoor leadership program. Freshmen begin each academic year a month before classes begin with a three-week outdoor excursion. Accompanied by a priest, college employee, and someone from the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS), the freshmen learn outdoor, survival, and leadership skills. The students then begin the year with an unparalleled bonding experience and leadership skills that they can then bring into the classroom and into their future careers.

942 views

6 thoughts on “Amazing Wyoming Catholic Video: The Country’s Most Unique Catholic College

1. Ted says:

Thanks for posting this Thomas. My son is a current student and this college is everything that the video portrays. It gives me hope for the next generation! Thanks again.

2. drmikeberry says:

Now this makes sense and gives me great hope for the future of Catholic education and moral based leadership of our nation. What a great program.

And I appreciate professors wearing ties and looking professional in the classroom.

Keep up the good work folks, I only wish I could teach there.

Dr Mike Berry
    Chapel Hill, NC

3. GREG SMITH says:

Wow! I would think that any employer in any industry would love to hire one of their graduates. Professional skills, understanding other cultures, even foreign languages (especially with Latin as a good base) can all be taught on the job. If I were a military officer section officer in the Wyoming region, I’d be trying to set up a presentation there ASAP.

4. ragingcatholic says:

Amazing video, but I have to say that I’m underwhelmed by the coursework…

1. cowboy says:

I dunno–4 years of theology, reading the Gospels, the Church Fathers, the Church councils, etc.; 4 years of logic and philosophy, reading Plato, Aristotle, and Aquinas; 4 years of studying the greatest thought in western civilization, such as the writings of Homer, Virgil, Sophocles, Aechylus, Dostoevsky, Dante, Shakespeare, and Chaucer, to name a few; learning how to speak Latin as a living language; studying Euclid, Apollonius, Descartes, and others in math and sciences; and finally, also including the perfection of the whole person by teaching equestrian, rhetorical, musical, and outdoor skills–I don’t think it gets much better than that… May God continue to bless Wyoming Catholic College…

2. Everett says:

Attending a school like WCC is definitely a calling, due to its “otherness” but it fill a very valuable place in Catholic higher education. I’ve spoken with a number of WCC students at various times and have always come away impressed by their maturity, confidence and ability to articulate their thoughts.