America’s unhealthy football addiction

As the sweltering days of summer give way to the cool, brisk evenings of fall, one thing you can expect in the weeks and months ahead is that on every Saturday and Sunday from now until December, millions of Americans will be tuning in to their television sets to support their favorite football team.

Among other things, what that means is that millions of Americans, for hours on end, will be throwing back beers, slamming down brats, and pigging out on their favorite nacho dip while gathered at their local watering hole or sprawled out on their couch.

Football

Monday through Friday, these same people, instead of talking about the sermon they heard Sunday morning – that is, if they even went to church – will spend countless more hours discussing ad nauseam the latest fine-inducing hit and how well their Fantasy Football team did.

Football, it seems, is everywhere. And it’s about to take over our lives.

If you caught the NFL’s season opener last Thursday between the Baltimore Ravens and the Denver Broncos, chances are you saw country music artist Keith Urban’s special pre-game kickoff concert. To most of the viewing audience, the celebration was probably nothing out of the ordinary – just another electrifying performance by one of the nation’s most popular musicians. I, on the other hand, was left scratching my head. What are all these people so excited about? I thought to myself. All this for football? It’s just a game. Fewer Americans associate with organized religion, right? Maybe this is their new god.

In many ways, Mr. Urban’s uninspiring lyrics, the audience’s hypnotic behavior, and the fireworks display at the end of the show served as the embodiment of the larger spiritual lobotomy taking place in America today.

Now, to be fair, football (and sports in general for that matter) can build character, instill a hard work ethic and teach self-sacrifice. But my goodness, can anyone deny that football has become an inseparable part of America’s civic religion and that it has had a caustic effect on our spiritual well being? Seriously, it seems like more and more people are dedicating inordinate amounts of time to this stuff. It’s not uncommon, for instance, to witness our neighbors spend hours upon hours shopping for and making sure that their fifteen dollar steak is cooked to perfection before reclining in their favorite la-z-boy for a twelve hour NFL triple-header. Nor is it out of the ordinary to see folks spend all day running around looking for the perfect combination of craft beer, pizza rolls and tortilla chips to satisfy the urges they get while watching those enticing commercials. Talk about profligacy.

Moreover, look at how much football franchises spend on their cathedral-like stadiums and how NFL broadcasts rely on catchy songs and slogans to get their viewers excited for the onslaught of half naked women that are about to appear on their screen. Barely anyone in the mainstream media raises an eyebrow about any of this. It’s business as usual to them. Yet, Catholics are constantly criticized, even by some within the faith, for building ‘extravagant’ churches, not selling the Church’s highly-prized possessions, and holding (at least in the past) lavish, time-consuming ceremonies. Please. The Catholic Church has every right to be triumphalistic. Pop culture and its false gods do not. They drag us down into the abyss by elevating the frivolous to the divine.

So, as football season heats up, keep in mind that Catholics are required to keep holy the Sabbath. To be sure, there’s nothing wrong with enjoying sports in moderation. Anything beyond that, though, is idolatry. You cannot serve two masters…God and football. America, it seems, has already made up her mind.

Categories:Culture

30 thoughts on “America’s unhealthy football addiction

1. David J. White says:

Playing sports “can build character, instill a hard work ethic and teach self-sacrifice.” Sitting on your duff all weekend watching sports, not so much.

As Jerry Seinfeld observed, people like to go around saying, “We won! We won!” when their favorite team wins. No, remarked Seinfeld, they won. You watched.

2. Rob says:

Football brings great joy to my life. Football brings together my family over a common bond (Bears vs. Packers). How would you describe spending an entire Sunday with close friends or family, sharing in a common joy? A waste of time or a celebration together?

Football unites my college friends spread around the country; yes, fantasy football brings us together over something simple, a way for us to bond, laugh and commiserate from thousands of miles apart.

Football is so desired because it is so limited; you only get 17 Sundays and four playoff weekends. That leaves approximately 342 days without it. That’s why we celebrate it; that’s why we come together, because it is something special unlike the other sports.

I’m sorry, but I see nothing wrong with the concept of football. Yes, the NFL has its problems, but it brings joy to me, my friends and my family. And celebrating the joyous parts of our life is part of what it means to be a Christian!

3. Jason L Esposito says:

Just because football is building huge Cathedrals doesn’t mean that Catholics should. God’s creation is much grander than anything we as Catholics can build. Personally, I think we can find a better way to congregate, pray, and celebrate. Have you ever been to an Easter Mass sunrise service on the Atlantic Ocean? That being said I am guilty of many of the things stated here. I find it more and more difficult to stay focused, thankful, and a servant to our Lord and God. I often find myself obsessing/stressing over work, the future, day to day obligations, and many other things. I am grateful to my wife for forwarding me this article so I could take a few minutes to refocus and try to put God first.

4. Tim Shaughnessy says:

If ever Stephen Kokx is considered a candidate for canonization, I will suggest this writing as proof of his sanctity (at least sanity). Amen!
    When people discuss sports, my mind mentally flashes back to this gem: http://www.theonion.com/articles/you-will-suffer-humiliation-when-the-sports-team-f,10804/

And a relevant but shameless plug: http://truthandcharity.net/the-new-sacred-cows/

5. Christine W. says:

I absolutely love football. Watching the weekly game has been a family tradition since I was in diapers, and now I share it with my growing family. We go to church AND watch the game. I find it exhilarating, relaxing and not a deterrent from my faith.

I gather that you do not like football, and I think your distaste is coloring your judgement. Of course, anything that is out of moderation is a problem, but that does not mean it serves as “the embodiment of the larger spiritual lobotomy taking place in America today.” Seriously?

6. Kim says:

I’ve long thought Americans’ obsession with football (and sports in general) is extreme. People will endure many discomforts to attend a sporting event, that you know they’d use as a quick excuse to avoid going to church. It’s pathetic.