AmP Weekend Poll: What’s your vocation?

As we wrap up National Vocation Awareness Week 2011 I’m interested to find out: “what do you think is your vocation?”

Obviously if you are IN a vocation you are pretty sure – but asking the question this way allows us all to participate.

Please share this poll among your friends, feel free to add comments below (and let me know if I need to re-write any of the options to be more precise!)

903 views

25 thoughts on “AmP Weekend Poll: What’s your vocation?

1. Justin says:

Marriage

2. Brother Augustine says:

As a Religious Brother I prefer to describe my vocation simply as that; rather than by what I am not,ie; “an unordained religious man”.
    Even in the best of times the vocation of a Religious Brother has been the most misunderstood and underrecognized vocation in the church. Today we are on the verge of extinction. How sad! It is such a rich and beautiful way to respond to Christ’s love and to live the Gospel. Many, perhaps most Catholics, do not even know we exist. Not that we brothers ever looked for the recognition—-Christ alone is our reward!

1. Rebekah says:

+JMJ+

Praying for you, Brother Augustine.

3. Curious says:

Thomas,

Our parish had a Mission recently where as a wonderful priest from your area led it. Father Dave Pivonka led the Mission on Spiritual Freedom. He first thanked our parish for being actively involved in PRAYER for vocations. Our parish gets together oftn to pray for vocations, and as he pointed out, our prayers have been blessed with 6 young men from our parish currently studying to become priest. He then asked us how many of us were asked as children what we wanted to be when we grew up? He asked how many of us ask our own children and other children this question. Of course, we all raised our hands. He then pleaded with us to stop asking that question because of the pressure it places upon children as that question does not include God. He challenged us to start telling our children to pray for their vocations and ask God what He wants them to be when they grow up. He asked us to pray for our children’s acceptance of God’s vocations that He wants us all to follow. That struck us all so profoundly. I think back to myself. I have three degrees and was not happy in any profession until the one that I ended up in, the one that God called me to from the beginning of my adulthood, but I allowed others to talk me out of because of the long hours and little pay. Today, my spouse and I have 5 children and one on the way. Three of our children are in heaven. The two that are living on this earth with us, we pray they follow God’s callings always. We pray they answer God’s callings of their vocations. It is not easy with our college age student to sit back and allow her to figure it all out, but we know she LOVES God with her whole heart, and we trust He will guide her to her blessed vocation, not the one we choose for her. I, myself, ended up being a teacher. I have been a teacher of all types of students (handicapped, “regular ed”, and accelerated learners) for a long time now, and this is my first year of teaching with the theme of “FROG” (Fully Really On God). It is so very rewarding, especially this year. My students and parents are all “frogging” right there with me, and this year has been exceptionally blessed both academically and behaviors. Vocations are God given, and we can’t allow our own arrogance to set us apart from God’s plans. As Father Pivonka speaks of, Our FREEDOMS come only from our Lord. Freedom comes with following God, not trying to override His plans for us. Thanks for bringing that Mission back into my mind with your post. of vocations It is a good reminder for me to revisit this daily, especially as our daughter now goes back to school. God Bless

4. maureen says:

Divorced, not remarried or dating.

5. Yvette says:

I don’t know where this would fit in, but what about the Secular Orders? (Used to be known as Third Orders.)
    I’m about to take my definitive promise as a Discalced Carmelite Secular. It has been a six year process, and we seculars are considered as part of the Carmelite Order.
    I know less about other seculars, but I have friends that are Benedictine Oblates, and Franciscan seculars. And there are more.
    Seculars can be either single or married, and live in the world, so I guess we have more than one vocation…?

6. greg smith says:

I’m pretty sure I’m called to marige and fatherhood and God is not calling me to the Diocanate. If he were, I’d probably need the full 4 year program to be effective. OTOH, I suspect my friend Dave IS being called. He is very knowlegable and has served in every lay liurgical ministy. With the vocations crisis upon us why now, have an “OCS” type program of a year or year and a half for advaced candidates. Naturally, admiting women (why not?) ad allowing deacons who are sadly widowed to have the possiblity of remarriage would help

1. Greg Smith says:

After reading the post about Dr. Peters theory of No Sex for Deacons, I’m now REAL SURE I’m not being called to that ministry.
      As for my friend Dave , his wife Cathy (Who in effect runs our parish when Father’s away) would respond “ARE YOU CRAZY?”