Author Danielle Bean Records Pro-Santorum Call for CatholicVote.org

Alexander Burns at Politico has the story (and the audio:):

The organization Catholic Vote is running automated phone calls in New Hampshire to support Rick Santorum’s campaign for president, saying the former Pennsylvania senator will “fight for us” and is the only candidate “talking about the family.”

Catholic Vote, which endorsed Santorum last week, recorded a message from Danielle Bean, a Catholic mother in Center Harbor, N.H. A source received the call on Sunday; Catholic Vote spokesman Joshua Mercer said it has gone out to 130,000 homes.

Here’s the script: “I’m Danielle Bean and I live in Center Harbor. I’m calling because I’m worried. There’s something missing in our country. No one’s talking about the family, and we need to. We need to address it head-on. Only one candidate is talking about the sanctity of life and the value of the family — Rick Santorum. Senator Santorum is one of us, and he’ll fight for us. Don’t forget to vote this Tuesday. It truly does matter. And please… vote for Rick Santorum. I’m a member of CatholicVote.org, which paid for this call. Not coordinated with any campaign or campaign committee.”

Mercer said the group is exploring the possibility of running pro-Santorum TV advertisements in South Carolina, and intends to stay fully positive in its messaging.

“Our robo-call and as we plan our ads over the next week or so, they’re all striking the pro-Rick Santorum positive message,” said Mercer, who explained that Catholic Vote looks favorably on a number of the Republican contenders. “We just think Rick Santorum stands out above and beyond the others.”

Danielle Bean, mother of eight and a great Catholic author, should be familiar to you. If she isn’t, get thee over to her website!

Thanks so much to Danielle Bean – a proud New Hampshirite and a wonderful woman I’ve had the privilege to meet – for helping us get this important message in front of voters before tomorrow’s primary!

25 thoughts on “Author Danielle Bean Records Pro-Santorum Call for CatholicVote.org

1. Chris S. says:

Tom, I wasn’t sure how to contact you, but i figure this is the best i got. But would you mind writing an article on Santorum’s comments on the Iranian scientist getting killed? I’m a supporter of Santorum, but this is something I don’t know if i can get behind.

1. Consistency says:

Chris,

I applaud your honesty. Unfortunately Mr. Peters seems to have paid very little regard to the full spectrum of life issues in his support of Mr. Santorum. If we can’t count on balanced coverage from the mainstream media you would hope that we could at least get it from a Catholic institution. Mr. Peters has not touched the death penalty issue either despite it being a prime position on the CatholicVote website.

2. Pat Korten says:

Exit polls in New Hampshire showed Santorum winning only 8 percent of the Catholic vote. Romney and Huntsman together got 62 percent of the Catholics. I’m a big Santorum fan, but that worries me.

3. BELINDA says:

If all us Catholics stick together we can vote in a prseident. So all of us Catholics out there need to step up to the plate and show that there is power in numbers.!!!God bless!!! In God we trust!!!

4. Leticia Velasquez says:

You can tell this woman got a solid Catholic education. . . at St Anselm College.
    I was just there at a Santorum event, and was never prouder of an authentically Catholic college with a BIG role to play in the national spotlight.
    Go Danielle!
    Go Rick!

5. Tess says:

All the anti-Santorum comments all talk about “just war” and “torture”. Can’t you guys come up with new talking points? This is getting boring.

1. Consistency says:

Absolutely, we just tend to focus on those issues since they are most relevant to our Catholic faith.

To begin with Santorum has a long history of ignoring the constitution. He supported the PATRIOT Act, which allows for gross violations of individual liberty including reading private e-mail and wiretapping phones without a warrant. The NDAA actually just passed last month codifying the indefinite detention of US citizens with Santorum’s support. The act effectively repeals the Fourth Amendment.

Economically, Santorum has claimed to support a balanced budget but has voted to raise the debt ceiling five times. He also voted to double the size of the department of education. Finally he has accepted huge sums of money from lobbyists. Is there anything else you would like to discuss?

2. Everett says:

Except that they’re more than just talking points. They’re actual issues that have not been properly addressed. Just because Santorum’s positions on “just war” and “torture” (either he thinks torture is acceptable, which is absolutely wrong, or he thinks that some things aren’t torture, which makes me question his approach in other ways) aren’t any different than Obama’s doesn’t make them ok. As a previous commenter mentioned, politically Santorum seems more committed to the Republican first and Catholic second on certain issues, which sounds remarkably like the same problem I have with many so-called “Catholic” Democrats. Yes, he’s got the abortion issue right, and yes he’s better than Obama, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his own issues.

1. Chris says:

Actually i agree with Tess, the issues have been discussed and it has been clearly stated in other threads that Santorum is clearly Catholic and in no way has ever contradicted the teaching of the Catholic Church. He is and always has been aligned with the Catholic Church. Working within the US political system is not morally wrong, which includes every politician including Ron Paul which many say is more Catholic than Santorum (which is false.) Santorum is focused on the most important issues which is life, family, economy, and foreign policy (not in a particular order). Don’t bother commenting back to me, because i’ve done my research on the candidates, i would hope you have done the same.

1. Everett says:

So, we’re all ignorant fools, and you’re the enlightened one? Give me a break. Sometimes I worry that this site is as interested in Republicanism as it is Catholicism. On the issues of war and torture, Republicans in general have it wrong (though many Democrats, including Obama, also do), and Santorum specifically does. Just because Santorum is a better candidate than Obama doesn’t mean we should just ignore his failings in regards to Catholic teachings. Unjust war is wrong, and torture is wrong. You can argue that the things Santorum supports aren’t torture (I guess), but you’re on pretty poor footing. Let’s not confuse being a Republican with being a Catholic.

3. Chris says:

Am I advocating the Republican party? I intended to defend Santorum’s beliefs as consistently Catholic. I apologize if that was unclear. And that was a poorly worded conclusion, reading it back, i can see how it can be taken as arrogant (I don’t actually think an opposing view is foolish) – back to the topic, I am not defending torture or unjust wars, I am however defending Santorum’s views on the issue as still consistent with the Catholic Church. On torture, this is a loose term that can apply to every coercive method to extract info. But in my mind (definition) i apply it to more of the cutting off toes and fingernails or on a stretching device. I haven’t researched waterboarding, but from second/third hand info, it seems to me that it keeps the dignity of the person intact. I maybe wrong, and so i will give Santorum the benefit of the doubt as well until proven otherwise. On just war theory, there is never an excuse for starting a border war for pure expansion and/or power, but i will defend Santorum on this because in his own defense of the possible situation of an iranian facility building a nuclear bomb (which is clearly not meant for self defense), He believes that this is the first strike, because waiting for a first strike will be too late, and there is no excuse to live in fear (the middle east countries wouldn’t have to live in fear if they stopped threatening Isreal and those around them) So Santorum believes that preventing Iran from building a nuclear bomb will in fact save lives. So from my understanding, what is uncatholic about that? ( honest question)

6. tex says:

The reason no one is talking about the family is because there is little to talk about. The Church has failed to convince even those who call themselves Catholic to stay married, and now we’re supposed to take our ‘message to the streets’? Please. Republicans who advocate for a Marriage amendment aren’t fooling themselves when they feed this line to the masses. They know it will never happen, and that the electorate isn’t smart enough to know it. Instead, it buys them votes. And since Santorum doesn’t have a conservative record to show, and wants to invade Iran, his campaign and supporters are back to beating the old ‘social conservative’ drum. But, to their own admission, no one seems to be listening.