Today, Pope Benedict continues his apostolic journey to Brazil for a third day, celebrating the canonization Mass of Brazil’s first native-born saint (Bl. Fr. Antonio Galvao) and then spending the night near the famous Shrine of Aparecida. Once again, this post will be updated and expanded throughout the day, so keep visiting!
Highlights of Friday’s papal itinerary (all times EST):
8:30 AM Canonization Mass of Blessed Frei Galv?at Campo de Marte in S?Paulo
3:00 PM Vespers with the Bishops of Brazil in the Catedral da S?n S?Paulo
7:00 PM Arrival at the heliport of the Shrine of Aparecida; Welcome by the local Authorities; Transfer by “popemobile” to the “Bom Jesus” Seminary in Aparecida [where he will spend the night]
Top News & Breaking Reports:
- Breaking: Benedict XVI’s Address to Brazil’s Bishops // Papal Meeting With Religious Leaders Fraternal
- Photos: Canonization Mass of Bl. Galvao (AmericanPapist selections)
- Information: Primer explaining the consequences in canon law for being a pro-abortion politician
- Noteworthy: Vatican tones down papal remarks on pro-abortion Catholic politicians (CNS): “Pope Benedict XVI’s comments on excommunication for pro-abortion Catholic politicians touched on huge and sensitive issues — so sensitive that the Vatican issued a toned-down version of his remarks the following day.”
- Audio: Vatican radio on Latin America’s missionary challenge + pope’s meeting with brazil’s bishops
- Humor: Today’s Papist-picture-of-the-Day.
Important general links:
- AP Photo feed
- EWTN’s video coverage (starts today @ 8AM, 9PM encore)
- Vatican video feed
- Vatican complete itinerary of the journey
- Vatican overview page of the journey
- Official Latin American Bishops’s conference page (spanish)
- Official Archdiocese of San Paolo welcome page (some english)
- PapaRaziForum coverage thread
- AmericanPapist(this blog)’s complete pre-visit coverage.
Papal texts and transcripts:
- Today: Benedict XVI’s Address to Brazil’s Bishops
- Today: Pope’s Address at Canonization of 1st Brazilian
- Text of Pope’s Meeting with Youth
- Welcome ceremony at the International Airport of S?Paulo/Guarulhos – Address (May 9, 2007)
- Greeting and blessing from the balcony of the Monastery of S?Bento in S?Paulo – Greeting (May 9, 2007)
- John Allen’s transcript of the Pope’s conference aboard his plane
Notable St. Blog’s coverage:
- New: Bettnet: Pope Benedict votes for US president
- New: WDTRPS: The Pope?s talk in the Cathedral of S?Paolo
- New: Zaodk Romanus: Pope to Brazilian Bishops: It’s about Christ!
- Zadok Romanus: Mis-reporting surely… (re: the “internet Mass proposal”)
- WDTPRS: Hell?s Bible coverage of the Pope in Brazil
- Related post: What about those Galvao “miracle pills”?
Catholic media coverage/analysis:
- AsiaNews.It: Teach the faith and Christian morality in this age of ?of worrying disorientation,? says Pope
- Zenit: Benedict XVI’s Address to Brazil’s Bishops // Pope Proclaims Brazilian Saint a Model // Enzo, a Miracle Attributed to Blessed Galv?lt;/a> // Papal Meeting With Religious Leaders Fraternal // The Pope and a Farm of Hope // Benedict XVI Shows a Jubilant Style
- CWNews: Pope proclaims first Brazilian saint
- CNS: Pope canonizes Brazilian friar renowned for charity, healings // Brazilians in need, physical or spiritual, seek St. Galvao’s pills
- CNA: Pope Benedict canonizes First Brazilian Saint and makes call for reconciliation with God // Pope meets with President of Brazil at Sao Paulo governor?s mansion // Pope Benedict XVI to distribute 10 millionth copy of Child’s Bible
- AsiaNews.it: Only from God does true revolution come, says Pope
- CWNews: Pope Benedict in Brazil: Thursday roundup // Pope Benedict in Brazil: Friday roundup
- CNA: Miraculous conception paves way for canonization of first Brazilian saint
Mainstream coverage (linked not necessarily for accuracy, but to remain informed):
- Reuters: Pope decries hedonism to Latin American faithful
- TIME: Pope Canonizes First Brazilian Saint
- TIME: Benedict and Latin America’s Catholic Leftists
- BBC: Profile: Saint Antonio Galvao
- UK Telegraph: Pope canonises saint in front of a million
- Pope canonizes 1st Brazilian-born saint (AP)
- Pope’s outdoor mass in Brazil draws huge crowd (Reuters)
- BBC News: Pope creates Brazil’s first saint: “Following the Mass, the Pope was due to meet some 430 Brazilian bishops at a Sao Paulo cathedral.”
- Audio: Pope Makes Appeal to Brazil’s Youth (NPR)
- Bishops at odds with Pope over internet Mass (Telegraph UK)
- BBC News’ Reporter’s Diary
- Associated Press: Pope to Canonize First Brazilian Saint
VATICAN CITY, MAY 11, 2007 (VIS) – Today in Sao Paulo’s “Campo de Marte” field at 9.30 a.m. (2.30 p.m. in Rome), the Pope will preside at Mass during which he will canonize Blessed Antonio de Santa Ana Galvao O.F.M., known as Frei Galvao, who will thus become the first native-born Brazilian saint.
At 4 p.m. (9 p.m. in Rome), having bid farewell to his hosts at the monastery of Sao Bento, the Holy Father will meet and address Brazilian bishops in Sao Paulo’s “da Se” cathedral.
At 6 p.m. local time, the Holy Father is due to depart by helicopter from Campo de Marte airport and fly to Aparecida, site of Brazil’s most famous shrine which each year welcomes around eight million faithful.
The origins of the Aparecida shrine date back to the discovery of an image of the Virgin in the year 1717. Three fishermen, after various fruitless attempts at a catch, threw out their nets once more and drew up a small statue of Our Lady, dark in color and without a head. Casting their nets again, they discovered the head and, at the third attempt, drew in their nets full of fish. The three recognized in this event a sign of the divine protection of the Virgin. From that year on, veneration of Our Lady started to spread among the people who called her simply “Aparecida.”
Having landed at the shrine’s heliport Benedict XVI will go to the “Bom Jesus” missionary seminary where he will dine and spend the night.
Special thanks to Amy Welborn, Domenico Bettinelli, Gerald Augustinus and Rocco Palmo for inviting their readers to my coverage. Special thanks also to Teresa Benedetta and the other regular contributors of the PapaRatzingerForum for their incredible industry and dedication to all things Papa Benny!
Note: For the especially-motivated, even more interesting facts, photos & video here.
Note 2: tba
[photo credit & captions: (1) Pope Benedict XVI celebrates mass in the Campo de Marte military airport i
n Sao Paulo May 11, 2007. Friar Galvao, born in 1739 in the nearby city of Guaratingueta as Antonio de Sant’Anna Galvao, ordained a Franciscan priest and considered the author of many miracles during his lifetime, will be canonized by the Pope during the mass. REUTERS/Caetano Barreira (BRAZIL) (2) Pope Benedict XVI carries a censer during his visit to Campo de Marte in Sao Paulo. Hundreds of thousands of pilgrims have filled a Sao Paulo park for an open-air mass during which the pontiff canonized Brazil’s first saint. (AFP/Antonio Scorza) (3) A priest watches an image of Jesus in front of a picture of Brazilian Franciscan monk Antonio Galvao before a mass for his canonization by Pope Benedict XVI in Sao Paulo, Friday, May 11, 2007. (AP Photo/Dado Galdieri)]