“I spent two years defending Obamacare … I have now learned that I was wrong.”

Meet Sue Klinkhamer.

She worked in the office of Representative Bill Foster, a Democrat from Illinois. Her boss voted for Obamacare and she was a proud defender of Obamacare, too.

klinkhamer2“I spent two years defending Obamacare. I had constituents scream at me, spit at me and call me names that I can’t put in print. The congressman was not re-elected in 2010 mainly because of the anti-Obamacare anger. When the congressman was not re-elected, I also (along with the rest of our staff) lost my job. I was upset that because of the health care issue, I didn’t have a job anymore but still defended Obamacare because it would make health care available to everyone at, what I assumed, would be an affordable price.”

First, a quick point on civility. Whether it’s Customer Service for Verizon or a staffer working for an elective official, we must treat everyone with Christian dignity and respect. So, I’m sorry that Sue had people spit at her or call her names.

But Sue isn’t defending Obamacare anymore. She noted that President Obama had promised many times: “If you like your health plan, you will keep it.”

She now knows the truth. She admitted: “I have now learned that I was wrong. Very wrong.”

When voters fired her boss in the 2010 elections, she had to get another job and that meant she had to shop for health care, too. Three years ago, she got a plan that cost $225 a month with a $2,500 deductible. But then her health care company sent a letter a few weeks ago.

“Blue Cross,” she said, “stated my current coverage would expire on Dec. 31, and here are my options: I can have a plan with similar benefits for $647.12 [or] I can have a plan with similar [but higher] pricing for $322.32 but with a $6,500 deductible.”

She went on, “Blue Cross also tells me that if I don’t pick one of the options, they will just assume I want the one for $647. … Someone please tell me why my premium in January will be $356 more than in December?” …

“And I was excited that previously uninsured people could now get insurance on the open market. But this is not affordable to me.”

You can argue facts and figures all day long. You can mention that 500,000 Californians will lose their current healthcare insurance plans. And you can often get into a shouting match about this fact and that fact.

Sometimes it’s better to simply tell a story that brings the policy fight to life.

And while I doubt I’ll agree with her 100%, Sue Klinkhamer has a story to tell.

Obamacare is driving up the cost of health care for millions of Americans, including people like Sue Klinkhamer who were working full-time to get this horrible legislation passed.

Categories:Health Care Politics

30 thoughts on ““I spent two years defending Obamacare … I have now learned that I was wrong.”

1. Deb Marovich says:

Advocates of Obamacare continue to say they are providing Americans with “minimum coverage”. What they are really forcing Americans to do, is buy coverage they don’t need or want (“maximum coverage”) to help pay for Americans getting subsidies.

2. Diana says:

My parents had the same plan Leslie and they couldn’t afford it anymore being they only have Social Security as income so they had to change their plan as well to something else…

3. KC Kiser says:

Sorry Sue, I am not feeling bad for you! I am paying more for health care than you are. Thanks to all of the ObamaCare voters, my monthly healthcare costs went from $360 a month to $780 and that does not include eye or dental!! You know the country has gone mad when they have more faith one man than they do in God! We all need to pray that God can be restored into our government or this country is doomed!

4. Chris Bowen says:

The “Affordable Health Care Act”. . .aaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

5. Dean Sueck says:

We kept hearing that lefty screed that 37,000,000 people were uninsured.

But the reverse of that was that 290,000,000 people WERE insured and WERE happy with it. It was a system that evolved (yeah, I know) over hundreds of years and it worked! No protests of mlilions of people marching on washington demanding differences in health coverage.

It’s due to her and millions of people like her that there are now tens of millions of people in addition to those 37,000,000 of people are now without insurance. Her and the people who pushed this through over the objections of the millions who were covered ought to be taxed extra to cover those tens of millions who are no longer covered!

Let the punishment fit the crime!

6. Leslie T says:

The truth is that in reality her health plan probably had a low deductible, but didn’t actually cover anything. My sister had a similar cheap plan with a 2,400 deductible, and a 5,000/ year maximum benefit. That doesn’t insure you against anything!

1. Melinda Smucker says:

No, the TRUTH is that you have no clue what type of policy she had previously, you are just grasping in desperation at the latest lie you have been told by the administration! Yes, some people, such as your sister, opted to purchase a worthless policy, but still YOUR SISTER chose….it was not forced upon her by her government and she was not told she could take it or leave it or be taxed percentage of her income to receive nothing at all! We had a excellent policy, one of the “top tier” policies and paid $832 a month. We have now received a letter letting us know that our policy ends at it’s renewal date, Dec. 1. And were offered a choice of two policies, both of which have far higher premiums ($1,098 and $1,200), has almost three times the deductible and almost double the co-pays of our previous policy. Insanity! That is money that could and would be going into our retirement account to take care of us in our old age. So now what are we supposed to do now? Just accept that we have earned the money to live well in our retirement, but our government stole it away from us? Or work far longer, far harder, just to support someone who has not worked at all and still expects part of MY labor’s reward? Our government already takes far too much from those who do the right things and gives FAR, FAR too much to those who do not. It is time to cut the entitlements to the bone and let everyone know that poor life choices results in very poor outcomes!

1. Jennifer H. says:

Amen! I am sorry that your situation is what it is. I will find out next month what my employer will be forced to do with my family’s insurance. The so called “Affordable” Health Care Act is a joke and among other things will ruin this country!!!! Very sad times we live in! :(

2. lonely libertarian says:

Great comment Melinda. Lost in all of this kerfufle is the basic truth that Justice Roberts wiggled his way to what he thought was the “right” outcome at the expense of the Liberty that every American should cherish – but far too few do. I wonder how he feels about what is going on as a result of his bending of the Constitution.

2. RAnn says:

It is possible that she had one of those policies that didn’t cover anything; what is more likely is that she was relatively young and had no pre-existing conditions or flags that would make an insurance company charge her high rates. Now that insurance companies have to cover pre-existing conditions and can only rate policies by age (and even then can only charge the old three times what they charge the young) people in the young and healthy demographic are paying more; those who are older and have pre-exisiting conditions or other indicators of bad health are paying less.