“I spent two years defending Obamacare … I have now learned that I was wrong.”

Meet Sue Klinkhamer.

She worked in the office of Representative Bill Foster, a Democrat from Illinois. Her boss voted for Obamacare and she was a proud defender of Obamacare, too.

klinkhamer2“I spent two years defending Obamacare. I had constituents scream at me, spit at me and call me names that I can’t put in print. The congressman was not re-elected in 2010 mainly because of the anti-Obamacare anger. When the congressman was not re-elected, I also (along with the rest of our staff) lost my job. I was upset that because of the health care issue, I didn’t have a job anymore but still defended Obamacare because it would make health care available to everyone at, what I assumed, would be an affordable price.”

First, a quick point on civility. Whether it’s Customer Service for Verizon or a staffer working for an elective official, we must treat everyone with Christian dignity and respect. So, I’m sorry that Sue had people spit at her or call her names.

But Sue isn’t defending Obamacare anymore. She noted that President Obama had promised many times: “If you like your health plan, you will keep it.”

She now knows the truth. She admitted: “I have now learned that I was wrong. Very wrong.”

When voters fired her boss in the 2010 elections, she had to get another job and that meant she had to shop for health care, too. Three years ago, she got a plan that cost $225 a month with a $2,500 deductible. But then her health care company sent a letter a few weeks ago.

“Blue Cross,” she said, “stated my current coverage would expire on Dec. 31, and here are my options: I can have a plan with similar benefits for $647.12 [or] I can have a plan with similar [but higher] pricing for $322.32 but with a $6,500 deductible.”

She went on, “Blue Cross also tells me that if I don’t pick one of the options, they will just assume I want the one for $647. … Someone please tell me why my premium in January will be $356 more than in December?” …

“And I was excited that previously uninsured people could now get insurance on the open market. But this is not affordable to me.”

You can argue facts and figures all day long. You can mention that 500,000 Californians will lose their current healthcare insurance plans. And you can often get into a shouting match about this fact and that fact.

Sometimes it’s better to simply tell a story that brings the policy fight to life.

And while I doubt I’ll agree with her 100%, Sue Klinkhamer has a story to tell.

Obamacare is driving up the cost of health care for millions of Americans, including people like Sue Klinkhamer who were working full-time to get this horrible legislation passed.

Categories:Health Care Politics

30 thoughts on ““I spent two years defending Obamacare … I have now learned that I was wrong.”

1. insurancebroker says:

I feel bad for Ms. Klinkhamer, too, because she’s either not very bright or she’s a stone liar. The options she lists are the ones that BLUE CROSS is offering her, not every plan that is available to her. She can and will get a far better deal on the exchanges once she dumps the insurance company that is patently trying to swindle her.

1. Chester says:

She’s neither lying nor unintelligent. The promise was made that those who had insurance would be able to keep their plans if they like them. However, that is not the case.

2. Captain America says:

. . . I hate to see the vitriol at this woman; the plain fact of the matter is that (a) very few political leaders are really studying the complicated issues anymore—they rely on proxies to tell them what to do, based on ideology or battle position, and (b) even fewer media sources bother reading the details of tough stuff, and (c) EVEN fewer Standard American Citizens demand the press covers tough issues.

1. Paul Sadek says:

Sorry, Captain. There was PLENTY of information out there; and in the position which she held, she was only repeating what she knew–or at least had no good reason NOT to know–were lies. While I do not wish her ill, I think that it’s quite fair to say that she is experiencing natural consequences of her–and her former boss’s–actions.

2. Question? says:

Most of the problems were published in the federal register and by the congressional budget office. Both publications break down the issues into manageable parts. As a congressional staffer, she had access to both of theses sources. It is not a sin to recognize that the woman is incompetent and should never be allowed to hold a position of responsibility again. Her blind support and willful refusal to educate herself about the law has economically damaged millions of her fellow Americans.

3. Kristi says:

Where is CNN???? How come her story isn’t on the nightly news????

4. kems says:

it’s too bad she didn’t listen to all the people who told her she was wrong.
    How many has she led astray while finding herself?

5. Alice Amelia says:

She might do well to drop insurance altogether and put her money into concierge medicine, ie paying for medical care directly. And don’t pay the fee; the IRS cannot collect it unless they can withhold it from a tax refund (so don’t overpay taxes).

6. margretto says:

All o the useful idiots that screamed “healthcare or all” are now all upset because it wasn’t supposed to affect them just the rest of us. I DO NOT feel sorry for Sue, it’s communists like her that have ruined this nation.