“If you’ve got a Church, you didn’t build that.”

Last night at the Al Smith dinner, Mitt Romney showed a keen sense of humor with an edge. As he roasted President Obama, he got in some classic digs that were as much true as they were funny.

I was actually hoping the president would bring Joe Biden along this evening, because he’ll laugh at anything.

Among the zingers, he delighted the largely Catholic audience with a reference to St. Peter:

Your kind hospitality here tonight gives me a chance to convey my deep and long held respect for the Catholic church. I have special admiration for the Apostle St. Peter, to whom it is said, “Upon this rock, I will build my church.” The story is all the more inspiring when you consider that he had so many skeptics and scoffers at the time who were heard to say, “If you’ve got a church, you didn’t build that.”

His delivery was fantastic, and you could clearly see and hear President Obama laughing harder than anyone.

I never thought I’d laugh out loud – several times – at anything Romney had to say, but I did. I recommend watching the entire video.

Categories:Politics

41 thoughts on ““If you’ve got a Church, you didn’t build that.”

1. Jennifer Lambert says:

President Obama didn’t belong there. Period.

1. ROMNESIA says:

That’s OK, at last no one came down with Romnesia and forgot what their positions on the issues were.

1. Joe M says:

Does Obama really think that making fun of peoples names is compelling?

2. St Joseph (JC's step-dad) says:

better than coming down with Obamnesia!

3. Mike M says:

Obama’s campaign is so bankrupt of new ideas that they even have to steal their one liners!

2. Majority Catholic says:

So you disagree with the bishop. I don’t think your hatred and intolerance belongs in the Catholic Church. And it’s un-American. But I care about your happiness. I am going to try to invent a time machine so you can be transported back to Falangist Spain.

1. abadilla says:

Disagreeing with a bishop on a prudential judgement matter has nothing whatever to do with hatred and intolerance.

3. abadilla says:

I, like you, do not believe the President belonged there either. If I’m mistaken, so was Cardinal O’Connor who refused to invited a pro-abortion President. I just don’t want to see the Left using Dolan and believe me, they will. I can read them already, saying “Well, if Obama was attacking the Catholic Church as the bishops say, Cardinal Dolan would not have invited him for dinner.”

2. Randall says:

And of course, Zer0bama’s jokes, every one of them, fell flat. I guess when you ARE a joke, you can’t TELL a joke.

3. Mary says:

Nationalreview.com has Romney’s whole speech. It is worth a listen. Fr. Z has the Cardinal’s and Obama’s as well.

1. jokerman says:

This is hilarious. Romney sure has a great sense of humor and a great tax plan:

1. Joe M says:

What is Obama’s plan for anything?

4. Embarrassed by YOU says:

I see that you are writing for this website that accepted a $10,000 donation in 2010 from the hate group that said they wanted to “fan the flames of hostility” against blacks and gays and would “drive a wedge” between Americans. CatholicVote has decided to partake in divisive, partisan, anti-minority hate. I’m ashamed that you decided to as well.

1. The TRUTH Hurts says:

CatholicVote accepted a donation from a hate group that wants to fan hostility against minorities.

1. LOL says:

Your hate and intolerance hurts. Or just makes me laugh. Mostly the latter.

2. abadilla says:

Is it that any group you disagree with a “hate group?” Would that include the Catholic Church, the Pope, and all the bishops, priests, and deacons?

1. sandra says:

If you are “fanning hostility” against others, then you are engaging in hate. That’s a simple fact.

2. abadilla says:

Since when is telling the truth as one sees it “fanning hostility?” If you don’t see the difference, I guess that says a lot about you.

3. Tim says:

The group in question said the were interested in fanning hostility. It’s their quote. They said it.

4. Dr. Fu says:

No quote. They never said that and you cannot prove otherwise.

5. abadilla says:

Really Tim, and you expect me to believe that?

1. Soros Troll Alert says:

Please BAN this liberal troll, paid by George Soros and the troglodytes at Media Matters to come here and spew anti-Catholic venom.

2. Radical Homo Intolerance says:

Seriously dude, you really need to find something better to do. At least try and propose a credible argument or something we can discuss. Throwing the word “hate” around makes you sound really, really dumb, and full of hate, incidentally. I presume you have something more interesting to say.

1. Sandra says:

I’m sorry, but this Catholic believes it actually is hate.

3. abadilla says:

If you feel so negative about this site, why are you here?

4. Robert says:

Provide the link where it says this so-called group that you mention wants to”fan the flames of hostility”. I would like to read the exact words and the context in which they were written.

1. Carol says:

Is there any context in which the words “fan the flames of hostility” are good? I think you should go read the scriptures again.

1. Dr. Fu says:

Prove that this organization you refer to actually said “fan the flames of hostility”. I looked and could not find it. Provide the link.

1. Dr. Fu says:

I looked at the website you have linked to. It is someone’s blog. NO WHERE, and I mean NO WHERE is it shown that NOM has said “fan the flames of hostility”! So you are a LIAR. NOM never said “fan the flames of hostility”.

5. Nathan says:

Romney crushed it. All three, including Cardinal Dolan, were very good. Dolan was superb in going from comical to poignant. NY Times says it raised $5M for Catholic Charities. It was a great night for everyone.

6. Claire Adams says:

Loved the Catholic and LDS jokes. So truly hilarious and yes, great delivery. The joke about the Press’s job versus his was pure Reagan. I agree, the video is A MUST SEE!