Is a vote for the Democratic Party a vote for the dictatorship of relativism?

The United States is a nation where 73% of the population adheres to some form of Christianity. It is a nation that, according to its currency, trusts in God. And it is a nation that believes individuals are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights. How, then, could such a country not have a God-fearing man as its president? Well, for the second time in less than a year, a Gallup poll has found that a majority of Americans would be comfortable voting for an atheist for president.

Photo by Tom Pennington/Getty Images

Though it might seem surprising that a majority of Americans would elect an atheist for president, it shouldn’t be. Americans have been supporting atheistic politicians for quite some time, it’s just that they don’t call themselves atheists. They call themselves liberal Democrats.

Take Vice President Biden for instance. When asked about abortion during the vice presidential debate, Biden said he personally supports the Catholic Church’s teaching on when life begins, but because he lives in a pluralistic society he can’t “impose” those views on others who might disagree with him. He has to, in other words, leave behind his religious convictions when he enters the public square.

The political philosophy Vice President Biden – as well as President Obama – adheres to is that of the late John Rawls, a long-time Harvard professor. Rawls’ theory posits that people are going to disagree about moral and ethical questions; therefore, the best way to govern a pluralistic society is to construct a framework that allows everyone to pursue their own understanding of the best way to live insofar as they respect everyone else’s right to do the same.

Rawls’ core belief is that there is no preferred way of life the state should promote. The public square must be completely devoid of religious-based arguments and the government must remain neutral when it comes to, say, abortion and gay marriage. Rawls is highly esteemed by modern liberals and was presented with the National Humanities Medal by President Clinton in 1999.

But Rawls’ desire to vanquish moral arguments from the public square because they emanate from a particular worldview is not only wrong, it’s downright impossible. While Democrats like Joe Biden claim they don’t want to impose their views on people who might disagree with them, all laws reflect some set of values. And when liberal Democrats typically pass legislation, they rely on Rawls’ values. Just look at the HHS mandate. The notion that women have an intrinsic right to contraception is a direct result of Rawls’ belief that the state must expand the civil liberties of its citizens as much as possible while remaining neutral on how best to exercise those liberties.

Rawls’ aspiration to neutrality, therefore, is anything but neutral. It is fueled by a conception of the human person – albeit a deeply flawed one – and is adamant about dictating to individuals, civil society and religious organizations that the only truth there is is that there is no truth at all.

This view is the animating force behind the modern Democratic Party. Recent polling indicates that roughly 70% of Democrats prefer that the state not promote any one set of values. In other words, most Democrats – perhaps unknowingly – favor Rawls’ philosophy. What that means is that we can expect the political left to continue to attack religious freedom, the dignity of human life, and traditional values for the foreseeable future. Think not? Just look at what’s going on in France and Canada (countries the U.S. is on track to become). France is set to ban the words “mother” and “father” from government documents and Canada basically disallowed Catholic schools from teaching Catholic doctrine on homosexuality. If there was ever a clear indication that the dictatorship of relativism is upon us, this is it.

44 thoughts on “Is a vote for the Democratic Party a vote for the dictatorship of relativism?

1. GodMyJoe says:

As an athiest, I feel right at home in the Democratic party.

1. BufordJr says:

Hello again Randall.

2. BufordJr. says:

I have been deceived by Satan and his army of followers into believing the lies and distortions of the Democratic Party which has become the party of Death. I need prayers to save me from eternal damnation. Pray for me.

1. BufordJr says:

Hello Randall.

1. Randall says:

LOL I didn’t do that but whoever did is hilarious! BufordJr if you want to do a 12 step program to rid yourself of liberalism, saying that above sentence out loud would be a great first step.

1. BufordJr. says:

I was a huge drug addict in my youth and still partake of the occasional weed, but mentally, I have been damaged. I am a damaged soul in need of salvation. I saw the face of Satan and it is the Democratic party. God help me.

2. BufordJr. says:

3. Brigham Young says:

Romney stands side by side with the Catholic Church in defending Religious Freedom, traditional marriage, and the right to life.

1. Joseph Smith says:

CatholicVote.org stand in lockstep with the Mormon Church, the true American Church. We even have that pretty little Catholic altar boy they wanted us to pick so that we can get all the Catholics to vote for us.
      What is so great about you Catholics is that we only have to lead you for a while, and then we can change directions without you even carings. Like we ever intended to end abortion laws. That isn’t a big deal for us.
      We are even changing our position on Gays and you guys have no where to go.
      We are just paying you back for chasing us into Utah.
      Now with your help, we can get our tradition of marriage back with Mormon marriage being between one man and a few women. (Mitt’s grandfather had 6 mommies.) No more of that Catholic marriage “no divorce, but anullments are available” crap. We get marries in the Temple (you are not invited, the insides of our Temple is a better kept secret than the Catholic priests who are currently at risk to abuse children, or Mitt Romney’s plans.) and we can get married for Eternity.
      Oh silly Catholics, you are so easy to fool. Even MItt Romney can do it, and he is not one of our best. After calling us non-christian for so many years, you now come crawling for our leadership, and all we had to do is have Mitt say he was Pro-Life. You don’t even bother to look at his history. So we push Ann out to seal the deal. No one expects her to seal the deal with a sweet little lie of her own about her husband being pro-life. Of course you believe her, she says what you want to hear.
      Anyway, thanks for giving us the presidency. Better a Mormon that the Black Guy. (Code words – Muslim, foreign born, etc.)
      And thanks again for all the ex-Catholics you give to us each year. Our Missionaries really love your folks.

1. Randall says:

Soros troll! Trying to create a divide between Catholics and Mormons. we don’t believe you.

1. Stg says:

Dude, we can all see that your IP address is Steubanville college. I wonder which CatholycVote writer you are.

1. Stg says:

My high school buddies and I are commenting here on your website. We are not Catholics and we hate Catholics. The Catholic Church wants to control us- we were taught that in school. We don’t need God. We are our own God.

2. Joseph Smith says:

I was born on the planet Tron. I am the great wizard behind the curtian. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtian!

2. STOp THAt LYINg says:

Romney is trying to use our laws and constitution to ban people from religious freedom.

1. STop THAt LYINg says:

I hate religion. I support the legalization of pot and other drugs. Obama is da man. He gonna give me the drugs I need along with my free Obamaphone.

4. JoeMyGod says:

Obama has been a huge disappointment. I voted for him in 2008 but I am voting for Romney in November.

5. Mara says:

Stephen, your first paragraph gave you away. “God fearing” is a relative term, in my opinion. There are some who believe that to fear God is not to know God, as God is considered all loving. In other circles, it’s believed that you can not love someone that you fear. Your “God fearing” belief is considered an Old Testament concept that was updated by Jesus in the New Testament. The fact that the Catholic Church believes in fearing God is proof that the Catholic Church is stuck in the past and that the Catholic Church uses fear rather than love to promote its beliefs. One need only read the posts on this blog to confirm this.

1. Julie T. says:

Everything is *relative* to you, Troll, and you know less than nothing about orthodox Christianity. There is no word-for-word transliteration from ancient Hebrew to modern English, so you have *no* idea of what it means to “fear” God. If you *were* a Christian, especially if you were a properly catechized Catholic, you would know what is meant is an *acknowledgement* of God as our Creator and the Author of Life and a *reverence* toward Him.

1. Randall says:

Mara is a liberal Katholyk who loves going to the Church buffet, taking a little of this, a little of that, and rejecting 90% of the rest.

6. Randall says:

I will not vote for a foreign-born Muslim socialist. I will instead vote for a Christian and a Catholic to lead this Christian nation.

1. Brigham Young says:

Do you mean the son of a foreign born Mormon?

1. Brigham Young says:

Of course, I meant it is better than being the son of a foreign born Kenyan!