CatholicVote and a coalition of organizations have announced their support of legislation authored by Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-TN.
The legislation is called the Title X Abortion Provider Prohibition Act or H.R.61, and it would “prohibit the Secretary of Health and Human Service (HHS) from providing any federal family planning assistance to an entity unless the entity certifies that, during the period of such assistance, the entity will not perform, and will not provide any funds to any other entity that performs, an abortion.” [Full text of the bill]
Planned Parenthood’s annual report, released on January 7, makes clear that our taxpayer money should not go to this organization:
- Planned Parenthood committed 333,964 abortions during their 2011-2012 fiscal year, representing a record-high number.
- Their annual report notes that they received a record $542 million in total taxpayer funding (federal, state and local governments) in one year, making up 45% of their annual revenue.
- With our country’s continued debt problem, Planned Parenthood should not be receiving federal aid. Their own annual report declares an excess of $87.4 million in revenue from the past year and over $1.2 billion in assets.
Call Capitol Hill today at (202) 224-3121 and tell your Representative to co-sponsor H.R. 61. (You can look up your Representative here.)
“Not only is Planned Parenthood getting richer by collecting public bailouts for abortion services, they’re also profiting off the taxpayer by making abortion services the core of their so-called family planning support – they try to push abortions on women so they can make more money,” said Brian Burch, President of CatholicVote.org. “The time has come to end federal funding for Planned Parenthood.”
- “Planned Parenthood Sees Record High Abortions, Taxpayer Funding,” LifeNews.com, 1/7/13.
- SBA List Fact Sheet on Planned Parenthood’s 2011-2012 Annual Report, SBA List, 1/7/13
- “Planned Parenthood Now Receives Approximately $1.5 Million Dollars a Day in Taxpayer Funding,” AUL, 1/8/13
- “Planned Parenthood Sets Record for Abortions and Government Funding,” Heritage, 1/9/13