NFL Star Passes to Pope Francis

Philip Rivers is the quarterback for the San Diego Chargers. But you probably knew that. He’s also Catholic. You might have known about that. (It’s not a secret.) What you probably didn’t know about, unless you read the L.A. Times, is this charming little episode involving Pope Francis and the youngest of Rivers’ six kids.

The Times has the story:

SAN DIEGO — The most meaningful pass of Philip Rivers’ life wound up in the arms of the pope.

It happened in May, when the San Diego Chargers quarterback and his extended family visited the Vatican and were in a crowd of thousands for a Wednesday papal audience. Rivers, a devout Catholic, had a prime spot in the crowd and was holding the youngest of his six children, Pete, who will turn 2 in October.”
I was about 10 yards away, and the crowd kind of opened up,” Rivers said. “Pope Francis just kind of motioned like, ‘Bring him to me.’ Pete was like, ‘No! What are you doing?!” But we passed him to the pope. It was awesome. The pope kissed him, blessed him. We got great pictures of it.”
Not the most consequential story, I know. But given the alternatives in the news these days, I’ll take it.

Categories:Culture Pope Francis Vatican

15 thoughts on “NFL Star Passes to Pope Francis

1. ESTHER CHAMBARD says:

MORE STORIES LIKE THIS MAKES ONE HAPPY & UPLIFTING. GOD BLESS THE POPE, RIVERS & AMERICA.

2. DumbOx says:

Maybe I should rethink and draft Rivers for my fantasy team. ;-)

3. Ken Danz says:

Check out CAC (Catholic Athletes for Christ) which Phillip is a part of !

4. Lea Black says:

We have the most amazing Pope! What a gift o the world he is! How wonderful an experience for this family, too!

5. I bet the pictures are priceless…Happy for Pete and Philip…A memory they can share forever…God bless you!

6. Peggy Mattia says:

Beautiful story and although I’m an Eagles fan…I might just have a cheer or two in me for River’s this year..it’s nice to see someone living the true Faith and Proud of it….nice story

1. Richard MacWilliams says:

Great story! So nice to see a person who is not afraid to demonstrate his faith and love for God So very sick and tired of the way the media treats those who are willing to share their faith with others. The way they try to run God out of this country is why it is having so many problems.