Obama v. Romney: God’s Hands or Our Hands?

“Well, it’s in God’s hands.”

I’ve heard that expression a lot lately. I’m hearing it from Catholics and Christians generally who are extremely worried about this presidential election. They pepper me with questions on polls, voter turnout, media bias, independents and moderates, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, and how Catholics and evangelicals might vote. They are deeply concerned. “Well,” they sigh, “I guess it’s in God’s hands.”

But is it? I think it’s in our hands. I think God has left it in our hands. Just as God has given us free will, the power to choose right over wrong, good instead of bad, and even to accept or reject God, so, too, I imagine, God wants to see how we choose this November 6, 2012.

Consider a Scripture verse as precedent, 2nd Chronicles 7:14. It states: “If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.”

That Old Testament passage happened to be President Ronald Reagan’s favorite. It was so significant to Reagan that he literally had his hand on that verse at his inaugural ceremony in January 1981. The Bible he used was his mother’s. Next to the verse, his mother had scribbled: “A wonderful verse for the healing of a nation.”

In response, Reagan, as president, personally committed himself to helping advance a spiritual renewal in an America that had declined so precipitously in the 1960s and 1970s. Reagan believed that America was truly a blessed nation, that God had shed His grace on thee. He feared what might happen to such a nation that turned its back on that generous God. Those Americans had a choice, just as Jews did in that 2nd Chronicles passage. If Americans chose wrongly, then they earned whatever lack of graces or protections God might provide.

This November 6, 2012, it will be left to Americans, not to God, to vote for or against so-called “gay marriage,” for taxpayer funding of abortion and Planned Parenthood and contraception and embryo destruction, for violations of their own religious liberty, and much more. Those choices are left not to God but to Catholics.

This election isn’t in God’s hands; it’s in our hands.

Paul Kengor is professor of political science at Grove City College. His books include God and Ronald Reagan, God and George W. Bush, and God and Hillary Clinton. His latest is The Communist: Frank Marshall Davis, the Untold Story of Barack Obama’s Mentor.

20 thoughts on “Obama v. Romney: God’s Hands or Our Hands?

1. Concerned says:

Yes the people won. I am glad its not the Supreme Court, or the corporation or the churches that won or got to rule this country. We the people should decide who our president is, not the organizations with special interests. We all should be happy that a non white, got to rule this country. That is what Jesus wanted us to do, church should keep away from politics, like Jesus never fought with Ceaser.

2. Julie T. says:

Joshua Mercer, *please* do something about these trolls. You will lose community members because of them and that is exactly what they want. Close down the comments section entirely if that is what it takes. Thank you.

3. afrommi says:

No, it is not in God’s hands. Jesus did not want anything to do with politics. He made that point clear during His life on Earth as a man. God has nothing to do with US politics. It would be unclean for Him.
    Our destiny as a nation with conscientious citizens is in our hands. Using our education in Christianity and our moral education as well as our secular education we can have this country in the hand of people who love this country more than they love their party. They must also love the people whom they believe to be their “neighbors” as in the parable of the “good neighbor”.

And that will not be anyone in the GOP including Romney. Romney caused the poverty of thousand. I know a couple who killed themselves. They were in their fifties and couldnt find a job after Bain Capital’s Romney close their place of work and move it overseas. “The pioneer of outsourcing”, he calls himself. I called him a causer of poverty. And he did that being fully aware of what he was doing, but the bottom line was more important. He wanted more and to feed his avarice and the greed of those who are stock holders of Bain.

I wonder if people know why does he want to send government programs to the states, instead of continuing those in federal government. It is to save the average American federal taxes. Just think, according to him 46% do not pay taxes. And the middle class pays taxes, that comprise 35% of the population. So, do you think he is trying to save the middle class from paying more taxes. 81% of the population shares only 7% of the financial wealth while 19% controls 93% of the financial wealth.

If you were part of the 19% where would you live. You could move anywhere in the US. Wouldn’t you choose to live in a state where you do not have to pay more taxes to cover for programs like Medicaid and Food Stamps. Considering that you have the power to change the law so your friends would have the same advantage and if you like to take full advantage of all those loopholes in the tax code, wouldn’t you do it? Now, think about Romney. Why does he want to send those programs to the state? So the top 19% do not have to share in the sacrifice.

So the destiny of our country is in our hands. Do not waste that opportunity to put it in the hands of people who would think of all instead of the 19%. Of course if all of you are part of the 19% then I pretty much have wasted my time in typing my conscientious thoughts.

Even when I believe it is not in God hands, I pray that your conscience is trained well in the teachings of Jesus and helps you make a good decision.

1. Serious says:

Human beings are not perfect but a well formed conscience knows that before we can care for the dignity of any person, care, shelter, food,medical etc we actually have to allow them life. What about the dignity of the unborn child. Still human even if not wanted by mother. What about the ‘reproductive rights’ of the unborn? Jesus did stay out of politics but spoke a lot about how to live. Moral decisions are made by all in order to live out a ‘holy’ life. Morality inevitably does get politicized. What if i stated it is ok for everyone to start stealing? I think our society would have a say in that? (and does!) What than about the more challenging issues – we are called to address them with reason and provide and promote thoughtful discourse not name calling.and spins.

2. Nerinab says:

The fact that a couple felt suicide as their only option following a job loss is a tragedy. But you make it sound like Mitt Romney personally chose that couple and didn’t care what happened to them. Do you know how private equity firms work? They come in and rescue companies that would other wise go bankrupt and result in even more people losing their jobs. That couple had options other than killing themselves. The reason most conservatives advocate returning programs to the state level relates to the idea of subsidiarity – problems are better addressed closer to home. When levels of bureacracy are added, corruption becomes more likely and people fall through the cracks. You want to see astonishing numbers? Check out the amount of fraud related to Medicare and Medicaid!

3. Chris says:

This is more of a side point to the larger issues, but one I thought I’d mention.

What’s wrong with outsourcing? We think of it as taking away “our jobs” which we are “entitled” to. Jobs for Americans. Well, that’s a very nationalistic way of thinking about it. But what about morally? It’s easy to see outsourcing as taking away jobs, when in reality, it’s simply transferring jobs. Though not on purpose, a real effect of outsourcing is providing jobs to those of us (mankind) that are truly living in poverty, not this, ‘oh gosh I can’t afford to get my nails’ done type of poverty, but the parents who starve themselves to that their children can eat once a day poverty. It is not immoral to outsource, in fact, outsourcing has boosted the economy and living conditions of many 2nd and 3rd world countries. While outsourcing may not provide Americans jobs, its still lowering the cost of foods and services to the whole nation, while proving income to the truly poor in other countries.

I’ve seen a lot of folks who seem to have the mindset that outsourcing is evil or morally wrong. Fact is, there is nothing immoral about it.

Tying this back to politics, Romney, according to my knowledge, has never been an advocate of outsourcing. He is a patriot, He loves this country and wants to do the best he can for the American people. He is not the monster mainstream media play him out to be.

He may have outsourced, I don’t know, I have read a couple blogs/articles/news stories that defend and accuse Romney of outsourcing. But at the end of the day, even if Romney loved outsourcing american jobs, the issue isn’t a moral one, but an ideological one.

Let me know if this helped or made any sense.

Godbless,

4. paul says:

I spent last weekend volunteering at an abortion clinic and talking to women that were considering abortion. I think I managed to convince one woman to consider adoption. She did not want the baby. I hope I was successful. I managed to save a child. What have you done to help women in this situation?

Banning women from having legal abortions won’t prevent abortions. Just because people see things differently, doesn’t mean that they agree with abortion. I am prolife and also pro-choice. I just think there are different solutions that are more effective. Labeling people as evil just because they see the world differently doesn’t make it true.

1. afrommi says:

You are right, to criminalize abortions will open the door for illegally performed dangerous abortions. They were prevalent during the 1940s thru 1960s. Young women were found dead. Black market abortions killed both the woman and embryo but made a lot of unscrupulous people rich who later they invest in the market and became powerful by wealth.

1. Laura M says:

“Young women were found dead” guess what, women are dying after abortions now too, in “safe, legal and clean” abortuaries.

2. Nerinab says:

Prevalent? Do you have some stats to back up this claim? You do know that abortion statistics were made up out of whole cloth by leaders of the nascent pro-abortion movement? Read something by Bernard Nathanson, former abortion rights leader to learn some interesting history.

2. Laura says:

” I am prolife and also pro-choice” –> oxymoron

3. Joe M says:

paul. Did you cut and paste this comment from the one you posted under a woman’s name a few days ago? Getting tired of your own propaganda?

5. paul says:

6. Goode is Good says:

Virgil Goode, presidential candidate of the Constitution Party, has actually taken non- Romneyesque (wishy-washy and half-hearted) stands against gay marriage and against abortion. Goode says what he means, not whatever it takes to impress this or that group like the Republican candidate does. Virgil Goode is on the ballot in quite a few states and is running as a valid write-in candidate in most other states. Bring your pencil just in case. Romney is not going to win the electoral vote. Make sure you at least vote in non-cooperation with evil. Don’t vote for any candidate who supports abortion under certain conditions. The non-negotiable needs to be non-negotiable if you care about your own soul.

1. JoAnna Wahlund says:

I’d rather use my vote the limit the evil that Obama WILL do instead of throwing it away, thanks. I don’t know what statistics you’re seeing, but there’s an excellent chance of Romney winning both the popular vote and the electoral college as well.

1. afrommi says:

Can you site one evil that Obama will do?

1. leogirl87 says:

Give federal tax money to planned parenthood to pay for abortions, and spread more lies about their fake mammograms. Also, with the HHS mandate, a lot of schools, hospitals and charities will either close or limit their good to only Catholics.

2. Nerinab says:

Do you mean in addition to suppressing the moral conscience of millions of people? Or maybe you mean the continued support of Planned Parenthood, as mention by leogirl87 which currently conducts about 1/3 of total abortions every year? How about the unfettered use of drone attacks even if they kill innocents (a list the president is proud to claim he supervises personally)? Hypocritically continuing the interrogration methods of the Bush Administration?

3. Nerinab says:

2. Laura says:

Not voting for Romney is a vote for Obama, so you are voting for evil.