The bad consequences of Obamacare are on full display in Pennsylvania, but the lessons that the situation provides should motivate us all into taking action nationwide.
Jeffrey Lord at American Spectator has done us all a service by calling attention to the scandal in PA:
Can you say “October Surprise”? A mushrooming political battle over ObamaCare involving the White House, two incumbent Pennsylvania congressmen, three Catholic hospitals and a nun has just exploded in, of all places, Scranton, Pennsylvania. Charges from the Scranton medical community of intimidation by the Obama White House and its allies are filling the air.
It is a long, complex story, which I encourage you to read, but I’ll summarize as briefly as I can:
- 3 Scranton-area Catholic Hospitals are shutting down because of Obamacare regulations that are set to go into effect soon. The CEO of the hospitals, Kevin Cook, is on record saying Obamacare is “absolutely” responsible for their painful decision to shut down. There’s a strong posibility the hospitals will be sold to a secular organization which would perform procedures against Catholic teaching. In other words, it is becoming more and more difficult for Catholics to have access to ethical health care.
- Sr. Carol Keehan – the nun and President of the Catholic Health Association, who famously received a “thank you pen” from President Obama for her work in turning Catholic congressman to give up their opposition to Obamacare, has been trying to bully Kevin Cook into changing his story about why his hospitals are closing, because she knows what a political powder keg the headline “Catholic hospitals closing because of Obamacare” will be in this critical election season
- CatholicVote has entered the fray: we’ve recorded a powerful radio ad to air in the Scranton market, so that Catholics and other citizens can know about the harmful consequences of Obamacare in their own district. Congressmen Paul Kanjorski and Chris Carney both voted for Obamacare, and both are facing tough challenges from pro-life alternatives this November.
Here’s what you can do to help our mission to educate Catholics and other citizens about the harmful consequences of Obamacare, and about the need to elect responsible, pro-life representatives….
1. Watch the ad
2. Help us with a small (or large!) donation so we can buy airtime for the ad by clicking HERE.
3. Share this message with your friends and family!
I believe this story is important because it shows in real-life terms that the flawed legislation pushed through Congress and signed into law by President Obama is already hurting the quality of health care offered in this country, and especially hurting Catholic hosptials. It is therefore especially scandelous that some high-profile Catholics, such as Sister Keehan, continue to attempt to obfuscate the truth of the matter because of ideological commitments. Again, I would encourage you to read Jeffrey Lord’s full exposition of this story.
Let’s stop what is happening in PA from happening to other Catholic hospitals across our country!