Photo: Disrupter at Pope Benedict’s Wednesday Audience removed

And it looks like the papal security used a “nose hold” to subdue him:

Photo caption: Getty Images – A man (C) is stopped by security guards as he tried to shout at Pope Benedict XVI during his weekly general audience in Paul VI hall at the Vatican on January 26, 2011. The man was far away from the Pope in the middle of Paul VI hall.

645 views

21 thoughts on “Photo: Disrupter at Pope Benedict’s Wednesday Audience removed

1. WillyJ says:

For a while there I thought it was a scene from the Three Stooges.

2. Zach says:

As a somewhat conservative Catholic, if this man was yelling at Benedict XVI to slow down on the JPII cause, I’d be there with him. I mean, where/how else can we fully engage in dialouge with our hierarchy these days?!

1. Greg Smith says:

Certainly not by disrupting a public event and presenting ones self as a possible threat.

3. Jame says:

I wonder what he said that got the Vatican so upset that they felt they had to silence him. Censorship is not a virtue that Jesus taught. He listened to all that came to him. What a shame for a once great church.

1. ren says:

Jame, let us know when you find out what happened.

2. Rich says:

Why do you assume the worst?

The Church is great. And continues to be so. We have the Holy Spirit who continues to guide great men as the vicar of Christ. She is great in her sacraments. Great in her faith. Great in her teaching. Great in her treasury of Holy Men and Women. And great in her daily service to mankind.

In case you forgot, we had a Pope shot not too long ago. Pope Benedict has had multiple occasions of people threatening his life by jumping at him from the crowds. I think it is quite prudent for the Vatican to be cautious.

3. The Pinoy Catholic says:

@Jame – Where in the Gospels did Jesus meet a heckler? Oh yeah I remember, those that were possessed by demons! And what did Jesus do? He silenced them!

And Jesus also cursed the Pharisees… And so I quote “You white washed tombs!”

Rudeness has no room for a civilized society! Even non Catholics believe that.

Read your Bible before you start your anti-Catholic bashing!

4. Len says:

I’m sorry – you got the King of Kings and Lord of Lords mixed up with Buddy Christ. Common enough mistake.

He would’ve done better to emulate Job:

“I am unworthy–how can I reply to you? I put my hand over my mouth.”

5. Quanah says:

Ah, once again free speech is held above all else no matter what. What about respect and “For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven?” Not the right time, not the right place, and not the right way to go about saying whatever it is he wanted to say.

6. uhhuh says:

Give me a break, Jame. Yelling at the Pope when he’s trying to give his regularly scheduled address isn’t an appropriate way to communicate displeasure. You can be civil when disagreeing.

If he was that bothered about something he should have written a letter or organized a petition.

7. Pam T says:

What he said is not so important as his lack of manners at such an event. He was disruptive to more than just the Holy Father. He was rude and discourteous to every person in that room. There is a time and a place for behavior of that nature and the middle of the Papal Audience is neither.

8. Bruce says:

Censorship? You must not be familiar with His “Get behind me, you Satan” smack down censorship of Peter’s objection to His death. Perhaps you missed that one, among others. I recommend the Bible. Good reading!

9. Steph says:

Most of the time it’s not a matter of what’s being said, but if there’s the potential of violence as well. Who knows his demeanor or the way he was stating his opinions. They may have felt him potentially violent. The Church will always listen to those who bring their words respectfully and openly.

4. Jeremiah says:

What did he yell at him about?

1. greg smith says:

Givn the attacks on US presidents over the last two centuries the Secret Service has by custom been granted informal leeway to deal with possible tgreats to the president. Given the the attempts on JP-2 I expect the Vatican Security Service would assume the same stance.

1. greg smith says:

Moreover, from the photo, it’s not clear if they’ve had time to cuff him and search for weapons. While the tactic is not taught in American police acadamies, restraining his arms and ending the disruption with the “Nose hold” till they can move him away from the audience and get him on the ground, seems to be working pretty well. These guys look like they know what they’re doing.

5. Bruce says:

Jesus was yelled at and spit upon as well. Nothing ever changes for those who follow Him. Ah well, God bless this man with a spirit of repentance, humility, and obedience to Christ, His Church, and His Vicar on Earth, Pope Benedict XVI.