POLL: Your Favorite Catholic Movies

Benedictine College’s Catholic Hall of Fame wants to know your favorite “Proudly Catholic” movies.

Think Les Miserables, For Greater Glory and The Rite: The Gregorian Institute promotes Catholic identity in public life, and so we are looking for movies that do that. In my classes, I like to show movies that thoughtfully critique Catholic identity. Those movies (Doubt and Breach, for instance) are great, but not what we’re looking for here.

catholicmoviearticleWhen I was first brought into the fold of practicing Catholicism by friends in college, movies were a big part of my informal instruction. I was given Chesterton to read, a Rosary to pray, mortal sins to confess … and movies to watch.

My new Catholic crowd could quote lines from Beckett and A Man for All Seasons. Their favorite Hitchcock was I Confess. Watching these movies helped me understand (and enter) the culture of Catholicism in America.

Now, as a father raising children, I reinforce Catholic identity with my own children through movies. The Trouble With Angels for vocations, The Scarlet and the Black for moral courage, Angels With Dirty Faces for mercy, Heaven Knows, Mr. Alison for perseverance. There are “Proudly Catholic” B movies for every sport: The Perfect Game for baseball, The Mighty Macs for basketball, Rudy for football.

Vote here and look to the Gregorian Institute for follow ups on winners and where to find the movies on the list.

Categories:Culture Media Poll

7 thoughts on “POLL: Your Favorite Catholic Movies

1. mominvermont says:

My family loves “White You Were Sleeping” which isn’t on this list. It isn’t preachy at all and the characters aren’t always “good Catholics” (especially the scene at Mass), but it is fun and sweet and we watch it every year at Thanksgiving time to get in the festive mood for Christmas.

2. Mary says:

My and my children’s favorite is The Bell’s of St Mary’s.

3. TM says:

“A Man For All Seasons” is fixed at the top of my list – but “Lilies of the Field” with Sidney Poitier always touches my heart and makes me laugh. The perseverance of faith in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds, and the ability of one person’s faith to carry another person forward. It’s a gem.

4. Paul Sadek says:

“The Song of Bernadette” touched and inspired me MANY years before I became Catholic. It remains one of my favorites today. It never fails to strengthen my pride in being a part of the “Church Militant,” one with the “Church Triumphant” and the “Church Suffering.” While we worship God alone, “The Song of Bernadette” is a beautiful reminder that we are in communion with the saints.

5. Julie T. says:

Eduardo Verástegui’s beautiful pro-life movie “Bella” is one my favorite Catholic films.

6. Teep says:

No Babette’s Feast on the list? It is the Pope’s favorite!