Pope Michael: Weird Things Happen When You Split from the Church

I came across this guy a few years ago.  He lives in Delia, Kansas (no idea where that is – sorry Kansans). Apparently, he decided that all the popes after Venerable Pius XII were in fact heretics.  Note to self: bad idea to stand in judgement of the Holy Catholic Church. So, he and 5 other people held a conclave and he was elected “pope.”

Anyway, I recently found that a young film major from Notre Dame had discovered David Bawden (Pope Michael) and set about making a documentary on this man and his bizarre story.

Now maybe I’m just mean, but I find this quirky trailer fascinating and, in a strange way, humorous.  It’s sort of Napoleon Dynamite meets schismatic Catholic.

Enjoy!

There’s also a longer version available here.

24 thoughts on “Pope Michael: Weird Things Happen When You Split from the Church

1. Glorianne says:

It is unfair that you crticise this man. I watched the two vids and he makes strong arguments. Pity I do not know how to contact him.

2. Linus says:

I notice that he is located near St. Mary’s, Kansas. The Jesuits had a seminary or something there about 30 years ago. Then they sold it or part of it the the Lefeverites and I think this has degenerated to the present situation. I knew a pro-life catholic, very active, who sold her home and moved to St. Mary’s to join the Lefeverites.

3. Lynn says:

Watching this short video made me feel kinda sick. I think that this man, his mom (or Grandma..not sure which she is…in her moo moo, no less) and new recruits have a mental disorder of some kind…seriously. It would be interesting to see some IQ numbers on these folks.

4. Howard says:

Pope Michael is outmatched by the sedevacantist Brother Michael Dimond at http://www.mostholyfamilymonastery.com.

5. Philippus says:

Certainly not humorous, but a heartbreaking insight into the life of someone who has been tricked…and is taking others with him.

6. Chamber says:

This is essentially what happens when someone leaves the Catholic Church. They now become their own pope. This is also a good figurative example of what occurs when people split away from their particular protestant denomination. And it goes on and on forever until they are cast out into the fire.

1. Brandy Miller says:

Yup. Exactly. The minute you “made yourself Pope” you’ve just become protestant. Surprise!