“Same Love” Ain’t About Love

ryan_lewis_macklemore

Maybe you’ve heard it on the radio. Or maybe you saw Ellen Degeneres laud the singers of “Same Love” as her “heroes” for being the first hip-hop musicians to speak out in favor of gay marriage. Or maybe you’re new to the game and only heard about the song “Same Love” after Macklemore and Ryan Lewis performed the hit on Sunday Night’s MTV Video Music Awards.

“Same Love” was originally released back in February, but only made it to number 89 on the top 100 charts back then, but the song rose in popularity after the SCOTUS decisions on gay marriage back in June.

I heard “Same Love” month’s ago when it was first released and was captivated by the smooth vocals of the female singer in the chorus. She sings,

“I can’t change,

even if I try…

even if I wanted to.

My love, my love, my love…

She keeps me warm.”

I know what you’re thinking. How could I hear a female singing those lyrics and not think something was up? Well, I guess I thought it was one of those songs that was written for a man, but sounded better with a woman’s voice? Or maybe the girl accidentally put a “sh” in front of “he”?

Nevertheless, I caught the ear worm from this song and couldn’t get it out of my head. I had to listen to it every time it came on the radio and sang along.

Then one day, shortly after I had been standing up for traditional marriage on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court in June, I was singing along to the song and it hit me. “Wait, is this… What?!? I’ve been singing along to an anthem for gay marriage?”

*The awkward moment when you realize the song you’ve been singing along to is an anthem to gay marriage.*

First of all, I guess I should stop being a hypocrite and stop singing along to a song supporting something that I’ve been standing up against. But, the major issue that I have with the song is not that it’s an anthem for gay marriage, in fact that has very little to do with it.

While there are many issues that I have with the song, and you will too if you take a few minutes to listen to the lyrics, the main issue that I have with the song is it is completely hypocritical and it attacks our faith and the same freedom that the song claims to support. Let me explain.

Since this is a Catholic blog site, let’s start with Catholicism. One of the most upsetting parts of the song, the video, and Macklemore’s MTV VMA’s appearance this week, occurs during this part of the song:

“When I was at church they taught me something else.

If you preach hate at the service those words aren’t anointed.

That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned.”

The video follows a gay man, and when it get’s to the words “preach hate”, it shows the man’s mother making the sign of the cross. Then, at the VMA’s Macklemore makes the sign of the cross as he sings into the words “preach hate”. Why is it necessary to bring the “Catholic” sign of the cross into this at all? And even more importantly, why must it be attached to the words “preach hate”? I have been Catholic my whole life and I have never heard any words of hate against homosexuals or people who believe in gay marriage from the Church or anyone who represents the Church.

Macklemore goes on and claims that traditional marriage supporters “paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago”. When in reality, Macklemore is the one who is paraphrasing the Bible and trying to break it down in ways to support his message. Catholics believe in the unity of scripture, so we actually don’t have an issue with paraphrasing the Bible. Maybe Macklemore should spend some time at a Catholic Church, he might like it.

Catholics are all about love thy neighbor and unity of Scripture.

Macklemore is quick to play the blame game and claim that the Church and traditional marriage supporters are the hateful ones. When in fact, traditional marriage supporters are under the most (and worst) attacks in the world today. The song goes,

“If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me.

Have you read the YouTube comments lately?

“Man, that’s gay” gets dropped on the daily.

We become so numb to what we’re saying.”

Obviously Macklemore has never been on Twitter and watched the attacks against marriage advocates.

The vitriolic attacks against traditional marriage advocates are a million times worse than the attacks against gay marriage advocates. I get attacked constantly simply because my friends and I are outspoken marriage advocates in the public eye.

And maybe Macklemore should see the hate mail (or worse) that groups like the National Organization for Marriage receive on a daily basis. And what attacks like the gunman who sought to kill members of the Family Research Council, simply because they were vocal supporters of traditional marriage.

The song continues with references to bullying, more attacks on religion, and even more claims that traditional marriage supporters are hateful. Macklemore also asserts that the same-sex marriage movement is the present day civil rights movement. The song continues,

“Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment.

The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins.

It’s human rights for everybody, there is no difference!”

In the video, this part of the song is played during footage of Martin Luther King and the civil rights protests. Comparing the same-sex marriage movement to the civil rights movement is appalling. There are so many issues with this, but I’ll just leave you in disgust on that point.

“Same Love” attacks traditional marriage supporters and calls us “haters” while hating on us. The song attacks the Church and conservatives for standing up for our beliefs, and claims we’re oppressors while striving to oppress us.

The truth is, the Catholic Church and traditional marriage supporters everywhere are all about love. There is no hate in the Church or in the marriage movement towards anyone who disagrees with us. We’re just standing up for what we believe in and striving to do it in the most loving of ways.

Now, I’m just hoping that Eminem steps in to do the heterosexual version of “Same Love”, and it can be our anthem for the traditional marriage movement.

Categories:Marriage Media Youth

137 thoughts on ““Same Love” Ain’t About Love

1. Eric says:

Neil Patrick Harris is gay and married, by the way. Your attempt at snarky pop culture imagery makes a mockery of your own ignorance. This post is laughable. Your theology is toxic. Go to a church with intelligence. You might like it.

1. Kelly says:

Umm. They have it’s called the Catholic Church. I don’t know if you’ve heard but it’s the true church…ya know the one Jesus created…Eh alright not everyone likes to know their facts.
      Your comment had absolutely nothing to back itself up.

2. Paul says:

I just have to say that I grew up Catholic and am no longer Catholic because Catholicism is not a forgiving faith. Get divorced and go to hell. Love someone of the same sex and go to hell. We all have our own faiths and our own Gods per say, but some are more loving than others. What is wrong with a God who loves homosexuals. They ARE people too. How is the fact that people are homosexual have anything to do with you? Would you like someone to tell you who to love? Or who you could love? And it is not love of mankind to be against gay marriage. It is hate for people who are not like you, who don’t have your same set of values and morals, and for people who love others of the same sex. Who cares! Just let them live. You don’t have to agree with it, but you don’t have to keep them from being happy either do you? This is why we live in America today. Things change. Views change, but love is love. Period. I love the song and what it says. It points out the ignorance in the world about the homosexual culture. Maybe if you had homosexual friends, you’d understand, but I highly doubt you do. Do no speak of what you have little knowledge on other than a book that holds true only to those who put their faith into it. Realize that we are not all the same and love each other that much more for it.

1. Kelly says:

Okay how to put this. We as humans don’t know EXACTLY how God will judge us on judgement day. Now yes it isn’t recommended to remarry after a divorce or divorce really. And you shouldn’t look forward to that in a marriage anyways. But the Catholic church has gone through reforms and they no longer are strict with reasons to why you’re going to hell. It’s really left up to the person. If you think you might be going to hell than that’s sort of a sign that you’re not doing something right. The Catholic church is a sturdy rock for you to hold onto and to learn from. You relationship with God is individual and personal. My point in all of this: No one knows for sure how God will judge each of us individually or based on our actions. That’s a mystery for us to find out when we meet Him face to face.
      Also don’t jab at someone without having reasonable back up. Your comment is emotion based. Have some facts to beef it up. (learned this stuff last year in my senior year of high school. I respect an opponent who can bring logic in the debate.)

3. Floski says:

As a traditional marriage advocate, I too was hurt when I was attacked as a bigot.

I felt the same way when people attacked the KKK for being racists. How dare they? Just because I have a different set of beliefs that cause me to deny one to marry another consenting adult based on my own opinions, doesn’t make me a bigot. It just makes me religious!

(Oh wait. Maybe that’s the same thing. 7 years of Catholic school raised me right. I am a logical, rational, non-hating person. Which means I can no longer tolerate a group of people who use a fairy tale to justify their denial of rights to others.)

By the way, just because you aren’t out on the corner yelling at gays, or telling them they are all going to hell, doesn’t mean you aren’t hateful. People who deny jobs to someone just because of their skin color are hateful people.Even if they ddon’t attend clan rallies.

Seriously. Just be honest with yourself. I’ll respect you more. This whole “we don’t hate you we just abhor your perfectly natural and non-harmful lifestyle and think we should make it unlawful” is nonsense. Be honest. You hate them. Just not the same way the Westboro Baptists do.

1. Kelly says:

I’m Catholic. And I do not hate a single gay person. I just don’t encourage them to be so. I accept it. I don’t try to change them either. I just pray. Because I don’t want to seem like I know all the answers. I don’t how the hell as a human being am I suppose to know the answer to everything?
      I do not hate anyone who I have no reason to hate. Really you shouldn’t hate anyone but that’s sort of hard to do.
      Oh and the KKK were a violent racist group. There’s plenty of evidence that they weren’t just peaceful protesters….so I don’t know where you get the logic that people shouldn’t have stopped them or said something about them. They murdered people just because of the COLOR OF THEIR SKIN. That’s so sad and just stupid.
      Also your argument switches sides through the comment. You say your a traditional marriage advocate but then end saying the church or anyone actually hates gays. Try and pick a side and back it up. Don’t be afraid to say what you actually think. Oh and no sarcasm. It’s a little immature.

2. Slats says:

I stand for tradition marriage, and I do NOT hate people with same-sex attraction, full stop. There is nothing for me to “admit,” no hidden truth, end of story. You, or anyone else, can do whatever you want to me in your efforts to get me to say or “admit” what you want me to say – torture me, mutilate me, kill me, whatever, but you do not get to lie about me by saying or asserting that it’s the truth that I hate people with same-gender attractions, end of story in the absolute.

4. John Bobhope says:

“The vitriolic attacks against traditional marriage advocates are a million times worse than the attacks against gay marriage advocates.”

This is one of the most inaccurate, deluded, and entitled things I have ever read. You are asking others to tolerate your own intolerance, while you play the victim against a historically persecuted people. But since you can’t be bothered to pay attention to the words coming out of your mouth, it is no surprise that the ones you put to pen are this myopic.

1. Kelly says:

Again another comment with nothing to back it up. It is a little bit of a overstatement to say traditional marriage advocates are brutally persecuted. But we are a little. We’re called prude or behind with the times or hateful. None of this is true. I’m afraid to say to people I meet that I’m actually against gay marriage, just because I don’t want them to hate me or think I’m prude or uneducated in modern times.
      But we aren’t attacked for being for traditional marriage advocates like men and women who “come out” are around the world.

5. jacob says:

I love the fact that one of your reaction gifs is that of a gay man. Sweet, sweet irony.

1. Kelly says:

Yes. Great comment. Have anything educated to say about the topic./issue up above?

6. Eric says:

So do you think the white people who advocated segregation were just some dudes “hating” on the civil rights movement?

I don’t think you grasp the concept of “It’s human rights for everybody, there is no difference!”

Also, the fact that you use a gif of NPH, and openly homosexual man who is married to another man and has two kids… oh sweet irony!

1. Kelly says:

? I think you read the article wrong.