“Same Love” Ain’t About Love

ryan_lewis_macklemore

Maybe you’ve heard it on the radio. Or maybe you saw Ellen Degeneres laud the singers of “Same Love” as her “heroes” for being the first hip-hop musicians to speak out in favor of gay marriage. Or maybe you’re new to the game and only heard about the song “Same Love” after Macklemore and Ryan Lewis performed the hit on Sunday Night’s MTV Video Music Awards.

“Same Love” was originally released back in February, but only made it to number 89 on the top 100 charts back then, but the song rose in popularity after the SCOTUS decisions on gay marriage back in June.

I heard “Same Love” month’s ago when it was first released and was captivated by the smooth vocals of the female singer in the chorus. She sings,

“I can’t change,

even if I try…

even if I wanted to.

My love, my love, my love…

She keeps me warm.”

I know what you’re thinking. How could I hear a female singing those lyrics and not think something was up? Well, I guess I thought it was one of those songs that was written for a man, but sounded better with a woman’s voice? Or maybe the girl accidentally put a “sh” in front of “he”?

Nevertheless, I caught the ear worm from this song and couldn’t get it out of my head. I had to listen to it every time it came on the radio and sang along.

Then one day, shortly after I had been standing up for traditional marriage on the steps of the U.S. Supreme Court in June, I was singing along to the song and it hit me. “Wait, is this… What?!? I’ve been singing along to an anthem for gay marriage?”

*The awkward moment when you realize the song you’ve been singing along to is an anthem to gay marriage.*

First of all, I guess I should stop being a hypocrite and stop singing along to a song supporting something that I’ve been standing up against. But, the major issue that I have with the song is not that it’s an anthem for gay marriage, in fact that has very little to do with it.

While there are many issues that I have with the song, and you will too if you take a few minutes to listen to the lyrics, the main issue that I have with the song is it is completely hypocritical and it attacks our faith and the same freedom that the song claims to support. Let me explain.

Since this is a Catholic blog site, let’s start with Catholicism. One of the most upsetting parts of the song, the video, and Macklemore’s MTV VMA’s appearance this week, occurs during this part of the song:

“When I was at church they taught me something else.

If you preach hate at the service those words aren’t anointed.

That holy water that you soak in has been poisoned.”

The video follows a gay man, and when it get’s to the words “preach hate”, it shows the man’s mother making the sign of the cross. Then, at the VMA’s Macklemore makes the sign of the cross as he sings into the words “preach hate”. Why is it necessary to bring the “Catholic” sign of the cross into this at all? And even more importantly, why must it be attached to the words “preach hate”? I have been Catholic my whole life and I have never heard any words of hate against homosexuals or people who believe in gay marriage from the Church or anyone who represents the Church.

Macklemore goes on and claims that traditional marriage supporters “paraphrase a book written thirty-five-hundred years ago”. When in reality, Macklemore is the one who is paraphrasing the Bible and trying to break it down in ways to support his message. Catholics believe in the unity of scripture, so we actually don’t have an issue with paraphrasing the Bible. Maybe Macklemore should spend some time at a Catholic Church, he might like it.

Catholics are all about love thy neighbor and unity of Scripture.

Macklemore is quick to play the blame game and claim that the Church and traditional marriage supporters are the hateful ones. When in fact, traditional marriage supporters are under the most (and worst) attacks in the world today. The song goes,

“If I was gay, I would think hip-hop hates me.

Have you read the YouTube comments lately?

“Man, that’s gay” gets dropped on the daily.

We become so numb to what we’re saying.”

Obviously Macklemore has never been on Twitter and watched the attacks against marriage advocates.

The vitriolic attacks against traditional marriage advocates are a million times worse than the attacks against gay marriage advocates. I get attacked constantly simply because my friends and I are outspoken marriage advocates in the public eye.

And maybe Macklemore should see the hate mail (or worse) that groups like the National Organization for Marriage receive on a daily basis. And what attacks like the gunman who sought to kill members of the Family Research Council, simply because they were vocal supporters of traditional marriage.

The song continues with references to bullying, more attacks on religion, and even more claims that traditional marriage supporters are hateful. Macklemore also asserts that the same-sex marriage movement is the present day civil rights movement. The song continues,

“Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment.

The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins.

It’s human rights for everybody, there is no difference!”

In the video, this part of the song is played during footage of Martin Luther King and the civil rights protests. Comparing the same-sex marriage movement to the civil rights movement is appalling. There are so many issues with this, but I’ll just leave you in disgust on that point.

“Same Love” attacks traditional marriage supporters and calls us “haters” while hating on us. The song attacks the Church and conservatives for standing up for our beliefs, and claims we’re oppressors while striving to oppress us.

The truth is, the Catholic Church and traditional marriage supporters everywhere are all about love. There is no hate in the Church or in the marriage movement towards anyone who disagrees with us. We’re just standing up for what we believe in and striving to do it in the most loving of ways.

Now, I’m just hoping that Eminem steps in to do the heterosexual version of “Same Love”, and it can be our anthem for the traditional marriage movement.

Categories:Marriage Media Youth

137 thoughts on ““Same Love” Ain’t About Love

1. Paul K. says:

Using a gif of a gay man, if anything, illustrates the point that the author is making. Catholics have nothing against Neil Patrick Harris. There’s no equality problem. He’s even free to get married. Our problem is not with people, but with an idea that is incompatible with our faith (not to mention basic biology). Pope Francis was widely quoted recently in a reminder to not judge people. But we’re certainly called to judge actions. To think that it’s somehow “ironic” that the gif is used, or that somehow it’s a “win” for the other side, shows a complete lack of understanding about what the Church teaches concerning homosexuality.

But, yeah, I’m not sure Eminem is gonna be much help. It’s hard to stand up for what’s right when what’s wrong is becoming popular, especially if you have records to sell to people who go with the flow…

2. Hannah says:

Love is acceptance and compassion in the face of adversity. If your church is about love, then you would accept all partnerships as sacred and allow anyone to marry regardless of gender. I do not hate the traditional marriage movement, and I am sorry if you feel bullied, but imagine being bullied for something you could not change at all. A perspective on what you think is ‘wrong’ or ‘right’ is something you can change. Who you fall in love with is not. Anyone who has fallen in love would know this, gay, bi or straight. When we all start accepting each other, it’s gonna be mega awesome – communities will band together despite differences and build incredible things! I can’t wait for us all to get there, but it will take some work. On your part, on my part, too. Good luck, friend :)

1. mominvermont says:

I agree that love is great. So why do SSM advocates oppose the love between mother and child? Why do you believe gays’ children don’t deserve ongoing loving relationships with their own moms?

1. Alex says:

Because a child can’t give consent. Do you really need that explained to you?

3. Veronica says:

“Comparing the same-sex marriage movement to the civil rights movement is appalling. There are so many issues with this, but I’ll just leave you in disgust on that point.”

The civil rights movement’s main policy was for equality as humans, which included LGBT rights. I certainly was left in disgust for you to suggest that two people of the same sex getting married has nothing to do with human equality. Martin Luther King might have been fighting for African-American rights, but he also fought for human equality: “black men as well as white men would he guaranteed the unalienable rights of life,
    liberty and the pursuit of happiness.”
    Surely this article must be ironic to use such a gay icon as Neil Patrick Harris and it is laughable that you would hope Eminem, who is pro-gay marriage would sing a song for traditional marriage.

1. Erick says:

MLK was a Christian pastor who recognized there were just and unjust laws. Our rights should be based on natural law (like the fact that two women aren’t biologically made for each other). And MLK didn’t deny God’s law of equality of race with segregation enforced by secular govt. MLK would be speaking for conjugal marriage if he were alive today, just like his niece Alveda King!

4. Kelly says:

Oh my gosh I thought I was the only one who thought this. I was sad when this came out…I love Macklemore and his style of “rap” it’s different from the copycats out there. Personally I even like him better than Eminem…Mack’s voice is softer. But that’s not the point. I was sad because I didn’t want to loose respect for him…but I sort of had too. The way he attacks Catholics (I being one.) and even stereotypes us and others (which is a part in his song at the beginning. The stereotyping bit.); it makes me want to call him up and explain to him what he is misunderstanding, Thank you for posting something like this. I wish there were some people out there in Mack’s industry or just the entertainment industry who had Catholic moral views but did it in a way that would entice all audiences of all ages. And of all religions (or non-religous).

5. David C. says:

Just something I wanted to say to that part of the article where you pointed out Macklemore’s bible criticism, I live in the bible belt, and down here many people do indeed preach about how gays are bad (a good example being Westboro Baptsit, but let’s put a pin in that), so that part of the song did make some sense. And, the point of the song was not necessarily to bash any church. And, while YOUR church may be all about love, I can assure you that many down here are NOT about that (I felt the need to reiterate that simply because it is so prevalent down here). I don’t personally think that Macklemore is attacking the Catholic church, so much as saying that the way’s of the protestant churches should change. In addition, with the current day over polarization politics, it begins to become hard to distinguish between moderates, centrists, conservatives, republicans, etc. In fact, the last republican candiates have used Gay bashing as major parts of their campaigns, and, as a fellow millennial to macklemore, I can understand how many our age would consider the words “Republican” and “Conservative” to be synonymous. Now, you are completely entitled to your own opinion, and I absolutely understand where you are coming from, but perhaps you should try to calmly look at that song from as many different points of view as you can, assuming that you didn’t already. Also, as many have informed you, I’m sure, but Neil Patrick Harris is gay, and Eminem supports Gay marriage.
    P.S. the reason why this song is so popular is, from a message point of view, because he is truly one of (if not the first) rappers/hip-hop artists to perform a pro equal marriage song.

6. Matthew J. says:

Your use of a Neil Patrick Harris gif amuses me, as he is gay. Also, Eminem is pro-gay marriage. Just thought you’d like to know. ;)