Today, Pope Benedict continues his apostolic journey to Brazil for a fourth day, visiting a center for drug rehabilitation and then praying the rosary at the famous Shrine of Aparecida. Once again, this post will be updated and expanded throughout the day, so keep visiting!
Highlights of Saturday’s papal itinerary (all times EST):
10.30AM – Arrival at the Fazenda da Esperan?in Guaratinguet?Greetings & Address of the Holy Father]
11.45AM – Luncheon with the representatives of the Fifth General Conference of the Latin American and Caribbean Bishops’ Conferences at “Bom Jesus” Seminary in Aparecida
5PM – Arrival at the Shrine of Aparecida; Recitation of the Holy Rosary and meeting with Priests, Men Religious, Women Religious, Seminarians and Deacons at the Basilica of the Shrine of Aparecida [Address of the Holy Father]
7:30PM – Transfer by car from the Shrine of Aparecida to “Bom Jesus” Seminary
Top News & Breaking Reports:
- Breaking: Pope Benedict XVI summons Latin American bishops to stem church’s decline (AP)
- Breaking: Pope praises ‘thirst for God’
- Revealing: “Benedict ignored security measures to approach the recovering addicts, in an unexpected move that alarmed security agents and even Stapel. ‘Police tried to stop him, and I did not agree either. But the pope is an authority. He can do whatever he wants,’ Stapel told reporters. Later, Benedict again ignored security protocols by rolling down the windows of his bullet-proof ‘popemobile,’ seeking closer contact with the faithful as he travelled through Aparecida.” [More...]
- Photos: L’Osservatore Romano gets the best shots // Waiting for the Pope in Rural Brazil
- Information: Primer explaining the consequences in canon law for being a pro-abortion politician
- Noteworthy: Vatican tones down papal remarks on pro-abortion Catholic politicians (CNS): “Pope Benedict XVI’s comments on excommunication for pro-abortion Catholic politicians touched on huge and sensitive issues — so sensitive that the Vatican issued a toned-down version of his remarks the following day.”
- Humor: Today’s Papist-picture-of-the-Day.
Important general links:
- AP Photo feed
- EWTN’s video coverage (starts 5pm, encore 9:30PM)
- Vatican video feed
- Vatican complete itinerary of the journey
- Vatican overview page of the journey
- Official Latin American Bishops’s conference page (spanish)
- Official Archdiocese of San Paolo welcome page (some english)
- PapaRaziForum coverage thread
- AmericanPapist(this blog)’s complete pre-visit coverage.
Papal texts and transcripts:
- Benedict XVI’s Address to Brazil’s Bishops
- Pope’s Address at Canonization of 1st Brazilian
- Text of Pope’s Meeting with Youth
- Welcome ceremony at the International Airport of S?Paulo/Guarulhos – Address (May 9, 2007)
- Greeting and blessing from the balcony of the Monastery of S?Bento in S?Paulo – Greeting (May 9, 2007)
- John Allen’s transcript of the Pope’s conference aboard his plane
Notable St. Blog’s coverage:
- WDTPRS: Brazil: Benedict beats brother bishops black n? blue //Brazil: Benedict beats brother bishops black n? blue
li>Whispers: A Canonization… and a Challenge
Catholic media coverage/analysis:
- CNS: Pope ask priests, consecrated to remain in ?the school of Mary?
- AsiaNews.It: God will call drug dealers to account, says Pope // Pope tells priests to always have a missionary fervour in their hearts
- CNA: Family, human life, fallen away Catholics priorities of the Pope for Church in Brazil // Pope encourages addicts to recover ?meaning of life,? slams drug traffickers
- CNS: Pope tells Brazil’s bishops to be clear on family, faith, justice
Mainstream coverage (linked not necessarily for accuracy, but to remain informed):
- NYT: Pope to Meet Latin Clerics in Brazil
- Reuters: Pope hears drug addicts’ tales, scolds traffickers
- AP: Pope warns drug dealers of divine retribution
VATICAN CITY, MAY 12, 2007 (VIS) – Today, Saturday May 12, having celebrated Mass privately in the chapel of the “Bom Jesus” seminary, the Pope will visit the church of the “Fazenda da Esperanca” in Guaratingueta.
He will then go on to meet members of the “Fazenda da Esperanca” community, which is dedicated to the rehabilitation of people with problems of drug abuse.
At midday he will return to the “Bom Jesus” seminary for lunch with representatives of the presidency of the Fifth General Conference of the Episcopate of Latin America and the Caribbean.
At 6 p.m. (11 p.m. in Rome), he will travel to the shrine of Aparecida to pray the Rosary and meet with priests, religious, seminarians and deacons of Brazil.
Special thanks to Amy Welborn, Domenico Bettinelli, Gerald Augustinus and Rocco Palmo for inviting their readers to my coverage. Special thanks also to Teresa Benedetta and the other regular contributors of the PapaRatzingerForum for their incredible industry and dedication to all things Papa Benny!
Note: For the especially-motivated, even more interesting facts, photos & video here.
Note 2: tba
[photo credit & captions: (1) Faithful greet Pope Benedict XVI at the ‘Fazenda da Esperanca’ or ‘Farm or Hope’ drug rehabilitation center in Guaratingueta, Brazil, Saturday, May 12, 2007. (AP Photo/Victor Caivano) (2) Pope Benedict XVI hugs children during a visit to a drug rehabilitation center called ‘Fazenda da Esperanca’ or Farm of Hope in Guaratingueta, Brazil, Saturday, May 12, 2007. (AP Photo/Ricardo Mazalan) (3) People attend an event with Pope Benedict XVI at a drug rehabilitation center called ‘Fazenda da Esperanca’ or Farm of Hope in Guaratingueta, Brazil, Saturday, May 12, 2007. (AP Photo/Victor R. Caivano)