Seattle school renames Easter eggs ‘Spring Spheres’

Did a double take — am I reading The Onion?

Seriously, you can’t make this stuff up.

“At the end of the week I had an idea to fill little plastic eggs with treats and jelly beans and other candy, but I was kind of unsure how the teacher would feel about that,” Jessica said.

She was concerned how the teacher might react to the eggs after of a meeting earlier in the week where she learned about “their abstract behavior rules.”

“I went to the teacher to get her approval and she wanted to ask the administration to see if it was okay,” Jessica explained.”She said that I could do it as long as I called this treat ‘spring spheres.’ I couldn’t call them Easter eggs.”

Rather than question the decision, Jessica opted to “roll with it.” But the third graders had other ideas.

“When I took them out of the bag, the teacher said, ‘Oh look, spring spheres’ and all the kids were like ‘Wow, Easter eggs.’ So they knew,” Jessica said.

Those darn kids. They knew!

And golly, who knew that the term “egg” was also a back door attempt at religious indoctrination?  Spring eggs?  No!  I declare — Spring Spheres!

Must be in the Manual of ‘Abstract Behavior Rules.’

21 thoughts on “Seattle school renames Easter eggs ‘Spring Spheres’

1. Angela says:

First of all, eggs are not spheres, they are oval!

My daughter told me during the weekend that one of her teachers requested that the students take empty egg shells to school on Monday to make cascarones (confetti eggs). When I asked her on Monday evening how it went, she replied that the principal, or perhaps one of the assistant principals, told the teacher that the activity was not allowed. I wonder if this was for the same reason in the article?

2. Jill says:

Get your kids out of gov’t schools and you won’t have to worry about indoctrination.

1. Phil says:

Actually, Jill, while government schools are politically correct in many weird ways, this article has nothing to do with government schools.

As the linked article states:

A sophomore at a local private high school thinks an effort to make Easter politically correct is ridiculous.

1. Rod says:

Phil, the last line of the linked article states, “The Seattle elementary school isn’t the only [i][b]government organization[/i][/b] using spring over Easter. The city’s parks department has removed Easter from all of its advertised egg hunts.”

I’m confused. Is this a “local [i][b]private[/i][/b] school” or a “[i][b]government organization[/i][/b]“?

2. Francis says:

Phil: She was a sophomore at a local private school who had been volunteering in the 3rd grade at a public grade school. The incident is said to have happened at the public grade school.

3. Francis says:

Well this is pretty silly. I mean, eggs have been used as a symbol of fertility and new life from many ancient cultures, not just Christianity. And even the term “Easter” has pagan roots. It bothers me that I have not been able to find an article that names the school. For that reason, and the overall silliness, I question the authenticity of the claim.

1. lisa says:

Francis,

It doesn’t surprise me at all that you can’t find an article naming the school. Unless enough parents complained about this, the local newspaper would not have picked up the story. And unfortunately, given the secular society we live in, stories that are hostile to Christians don’t generate enough interest. I never underestimate the silliness of our culture, for we live in increasingly ridiculous times my friend.

God Bless,

Lisa

1. Francis says:

Lisa: I suppose that could be true, but reputable newspapers also need to substantiate stories by verifying the information. I have no idea who this girl is (they don’t even give her full name) or how the original source became aware of the information. The entire story could be a fabrication.

4. Helen says:

What I am trying to figure out is:

Should I be offended as a Catholic for the term “Easter Egg” because this really is a pagan concept?

Or is it pagans who are upset at the term because, oh my goodness, Christians have appropriated their celebration?

Or should I continue simply loving the fun of watching Children looking for Easter Eggs on Easter Sunday – the day Christians celebrate the Resurection of our Lord Jesus Christ and the rest of the whole world celebrates spring?

I think I am just going to laugh and love this time of year and wait for the day when this silliness passes away. It will go away in time. The joy of spring will always be celebrated and Christians will always be filled with joy in the Risen Lord.

5. James says:

Oh come on. You know that the school objected to the use to the term “Easter”, not the term “egg”. If the student were passing out Muslim eggs with a crescent moon painted on them, you would be claiming they were trying to indoctrinate your kids. Why should the PUBLIC school promote Christianity?

1. Helen says:

Why should PUBLIC schools use my tax money to promote the religion of “Secularism”. For that matter to Religion of “Global Warming” or the Religion of “Abortion” or the Religion of “Socialism” or any of the religious “isms” of today’s world.

2. Rod says:

Then why not call them “Spring Eggs”. To have changed either word is idiotic.

6. Davide says:

Brian, have you heard anything more silly in your life? Honestly? What next?: the Easter Bunny be known as the four legged fury creature that poops jelly beans for the kids? Guess what? On Holy Saturday I will drive over to parents home and color EASTER EGGS with my family. On Easter Sunday we will hide the EASTER EGGS in the lawn for my baby siblings-us older kids will pretend we don’t know where the EASTER BUNNY hid the eggs. Us older kids will be as surprised in finding our own EASTER EGGS. Heck we even hide dog treats for the dogs. Of course this will take place after EASTER Sunday Mass. Us Christians really need to stop offending others with our pagan rituals. EASTER is the holiest day on our calendar and there is absolutely nothing wrong with EASTER EGGS and EASTER Bunnies that poop jelly beans–it’s a joyous time of year..all this is silly American political correctness gone rogue. PS as a child I was told by my grandfather who was a good and decent man that Easter bunny rabbits pooped out jelly beans and chocolates. The chocolates I got..the multi-colored poop beans I did not understand…later Skittles would arrive in Italy and that really screwed with my head. Be well