Shame on Kmart!

KMart

We all know that there is a war on the family taking place in the United States. Unlike the mythical war on women, this is a battle that is real. It is one that, over the past several decades, has had a devastating effect on the American family, children in particular.

One often overlooked aspect in all of this is how big business lends a hand in the destruction of the family unit as well.

I don’t have to tell you that as we approach the month of December countless efforts will be undertaken to make sure that Christ is completely removed from Christmas.

Moreover, I don’t have to tell you that America’s devotion to materialism will be on full display too. Millions of shoppers across the country will, like they do every year, wake up at the crack of dawn the day after Thanksgiving and brave the cold weather. Not to attend mass or go to adoration, mind you. But to stand in line for hours on end so they can get a measly 15% off the latest shoot ‘em up video game for their teenage son.

Now, I don’t know exactly when “Black Friday” started, but I’m pretty sure Satan was awfully happy when he heard about it.

I’m also rather confident that he was excited to hear that Kmart is going to open its doors ON THANKSGIVING DAY at 6am this year. Yes, you heard right. 6am. Thanksgiving morning.

I can already see the commercials: Don’t like spending time with your family during the holidays? Spend it with us! Come be an accomplice to robbing our employees of the chance to enjoy Thanksgiving with their own families. Hate sharing a meal with your aunts, uncles and cousins? Share in the joy of buying cheap plastic toys and supporting a corporation that tells its “associates,” most of whom we don’t even pay enough to support a family, that they do not deserve to be at home with their spouse and children!

What a disgusting decision. I wonder if any executives at Kmart will be working at 6am. Chances are, probably not. If you want to support a company that has no regard for the family unit, so be it. I for one will not be giving Kmart one cent this Christmas season.

Categories:Culture

16 thoughts on “Shame on Kmart!

1. Nancy says:

This is not new..they have been opening for at least 10 years that I can remember. You really need to find something else to be outraged about..not some old news for a store that no one shops at anyhow.

2. Elizabeth says:

Safeway Grocery Stores (at least the one I worked at) are open 24/7/365. Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, etc. Around the clock, every day of the year. Many stores are disgusting in this way, not just Kmart. That said, I think it’s good to point out stores that do this so we can get on their case.

3. Graciela says:

I don’t like Kmart’s decision and I will not shop on that day. However, I will not call for a boycott on Kmart because it is still a better alternative than Target who blatantly promotes same-sex marriage. I think Target is FAR worse but unfortunately many Catholics have not stopped shopping there.

4. shannon says:

Have you considered the fact that there are some people who, for whatever reason, are not with family on Thanksgiving and would appreciate having the opportunity to work and earn extra money for themselves and their family? Thanksgiving is not, by the way, a Holy day. It is a National Holiday. Like the 4th of July, Veteran’s Day, etc. Do you find fault with them being open on these days as well?

Perhaps your headline should instead be shame on those who shop on Thanksgiving (if not for shoppers, retailers world not open their doors).

Biggest movie day of the year. ..maybe you want to say shame on movie theaters as well for being open?

(Here is where you open mouth, insert keyboard shaped foot…)

5. Chris says:

If I remember correctly, Kmart has ALWAYS been open on Thanksgiving Day.

It is worse that they’re opening at 6am?

6. Isabella says:

Macy’s is also opening it’s doors on Thanksgiving Day. K-mart is probably just following them. Why not get on Macy’s case as well – first time they are opening Turkey Day.

1. Bob Foss says:

No. Macy’s is opening in the evening on Thanksgiving Day, not the full day like Kmart.