Today is Pope Benedict’s fifth and final day in Brazil, during which he will celebrate Mass at the famous shrine of Aparecida and inaugurate the fifth general conferences of Latin American and Caribbean bishops, before departing and flying back to the Vatican in the evening. Once again, this post will be updated and expanded throughout the day, so keep visiting. Thanks!
Sunday’s papal itinerary (all times EST):
9:00AM – Holy Mass in the square in front of the Shrine of Aparecida [Homily of the Holy Father] + Recitation of the Regina Caeli [Address of the Holy Father]
3:00PM - Arrival at the Conference Hall & Inauguration session of the Fifth General Conference of the Latin American and Caribbean Bishops’ Conferences [Address of the Holy Father]
6:40PM - Farewell ceremony at the Airport of S?lt;/span> Paulo [Address of the Holy Father]
Top News & Breaking Reports:
- Photos: The best three pictures from Pope Benedict’s final day in Brazil (AmericanPapist selections).
- Breaking: Pope leaves Brazil after “intense and unforgettable” visit (Extra)
- Breaking: Pope assails Marxism, capitalism (AP)
- Revealing: “Benedict ignored security measures to approach the recovering addicts, in an unexpected move that alarmed security agents and even Stapel. ‘Police tried to stop him, and I did not agree either. But the pope is an authority. He can do whatever he wants,’ Stapel told reporters. Later, Benedict again ignored security protocols by rolling down the windows of his bullet-proof ‘popemobile,’ seeking closer contact with the faithful as he travelled through Aparecida.” [More...]
- Information: Primer explaining the consequences in canon law for being a pro-abortion politician
- Noteworthy: Vatican tones down papal remarks on pro-abortion Catholic politicians (CNS): “Pope Benedict XVI’s comments on excommunication for pro-abortion Catholic politicians touched on huge and sensitive issues — so sensitive that the Vatican issued a toned-down version of his remarks the following day.”
- Humor: Today’s Papist-picture-of-the-Day.
Important general links:
- AP Photo feed
- EWTN’s video coverage (begins 8:30 AM & 3PM)
- Vatican video feed
- Vatican complete itinerary of the journey
- Vatican overview page of the journey
- Official Latin American Bishops’s conference page (spanish)
- Official Archdiocese of San Paolo welcome page (some english)
- PapaRaziForum coverage thread
- AmericanPapist(this blog)’s complete pre-visit coverage.
Papal texts and transcripts:
- New: Pope’s Address at Rosary Meeting
- New: Pope’s Address to “Fazenda da Esperan?
- Benedict XVI’s Address to Brazil’s Bishops
- Pope’s Address at Canonization of 1st Brazilian
- Text of Pope’s Meeting with Youth
- Welcome ceremony at the International Airport of S?lt;/span> Paulo/Guarulhos – Address (May 9, 2007)
- Greeting and blessing from the balcony of the Monastery of S?lt;/span> Bento in S?lt;/span> Paulo – Greeting (May 9, 2007)
- John Allen’s transcript of the Pope’s conference aboard his plane
Notable St. Blog’s coverage:
Catholic media coverage/analysis:
- Zenit: Pope: Faith Is Latin America’s No. 1 Resource //Be Open to Christ’s Light, Urges Pope //Benedict XVI Rebukes Drug Dealers //
- CNS: Pope says Latin America needs ‘courageous, effective missionaries’
- CNA: Parents, pray with your children, Pope says // Church grows by attraction, not proselytism, Pope says // Holy Father extols Br. Galvao as example for evangelization
- John Allen: Day Four: Facing dramatic losses, Benedict says: ?It?s worth it to stay Catholic!?
- CathNews: Green pope says save Amazon
Mainstream coverage (linked not necessarily for accuracy, but to remain informed):
- NYT: The Pope Denounces Capitalism and Marxism
- WashingtonPost: Pope Cites Church’s Regional Challenges
- AP: Pope assails Marxism, capitalism
- The Australian: Pilgrims celebrate pope’s open-air mass
- AP: In Brazil, Pope Urges Bishops to Action
- O.C.Register: Bishops to reflect on future of the faith
Special thanks to Amy Welborn, Domenico Bettinelli, Gerald Augustinus and Rocco Palmo for inviting their readers to my coverage. Special thanks also to Teresa Benedetta and the other regular contributors of the PapaRatzingerForum for their incredible industry and dedication to all things Papa Benny!
Note: For the especially-motivated, even more interesting facts, photos & video here.
Note: I will try to watch EWTN’s live coverage of the Pope inaugurating the conference of bishops at 3pm, and “liveblogging” some of my reactions in the combox below.
[photo credit & captions: (1) Pope Benedict XVI blesses the crowd as he arrives for the opening mass of the V Latin American Episcopal Council in Aparecida, Brazil, Sunday, May 13, 2007. (AP Photo/Dado Galdieri) (2)Pope Benedict XVI blesses faithful catholic wearing an Arab headscarfduring the opening mass of the V General Conference of Latin American Bishops in Aparecida, Brazil, Sunday, May 13, 2007. (AP Photo/Dado Galdieri) (3) General view of the grounds of the Aparecida Basilica during the opening mass for the V General Conference of Latin American Bishops celebrated by Pope Benedict XVI in Aparecida, Brazil, Sunday, May 13, 2007. (AP Photo/Ricardo Mazalan)]