I’ve been so caught up in covering the Obama/HHS mandate story (and updating this list with the latest bishops’ statements – now up to 140) that I haven’t had much time to reflect and present the picture I’m seeing unfold.
Obama spoke at the National Prayer Breakfast this morning, ironic considering his decision to attack religious liberty last week. Politico makes cl... More
Plenty happening on this story:
1) By my updated count, over 70% of bishops who head dioceses in the U.S. have spoken out against the mandate (131 of 184). I think we’ll pass 75% this weekend easily as more and more bishops join the movement.
2) CNSNews reports that White House press secretary Jay Carney claimed there was “no constitutional rights issue” when questioned about the... More
1) My list of bishops who have spoken out against the Obama/HHS mandate now stands at 115. So well over half of the U.S. bishops who head dioceses have spoken out.
2) Senator Marco Rubio today introduced a bill (“the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 2012″) to repeal the Obama/HHS mandate. This is significant because the Democrat-controlled Senate will be the hardest obstacle to ove... More
In the past I’ve compiled a list of all the bishops speaking out on a particular controversial issue (for instance, over Notre Dame’s invitation to President Obama) — here are the bishops who have spoken out against the Obama/HHS mandate.
[See my ongoing coverage of Obama/HHS's war against religious liberty here, here, here and most recently here. I'm also tweeting more updates... More
And the Pope has cast his arms abroad for agony and loss,
And called the kings of Christendom for swords about the Cross…
– Lepanto by G. K. Chesterton
I have sympathy for the sentiment Emily expresses. I do. I know it’s a lament shared by many Catholics when they look at the state of the Church now. It’s important we acknowledge past sins of omission — personal, pa... More
Bishops across America are raising their voices against the onerous mandate issued by the Obama Administration through Kathleen Sebelius at HHS commanding Catholics to subsidize contraception, sterilization and abortifacient pills. UPDATE: thank you to everyone who has sent me more statements by bishops reacting to this news. They are included here.
Bishop James Conley of Denver:
Let’s be clear... More
“Tolerance is not a Christian virtue.”
This is probably one of my favorite phrases of Arcbishop Chaput.
Here’s the phrase in its original context:
“We need to remember that tolerance is not a Christian virtue. Charity, justice, mercy, prudence, honesty — these are Christian virtues. And obviously, in a diverse community, tolerance is an important working principle. B... More
Obama and the Democrats are intent on creating a society where pregnancy is treated as a disease that must be “prevented” by contraceptives, sterilization and abortifacient drugs. This prevention must be paid for by all taxpayers, including the employers affiliated with the largest identifiable organization opposed to these unethical “preventions”: The Catholic Church.
If w... More
I wrote on the day of the Obama ruling forcing Catholic institutions to pay for contraception, sterilization, and abortifacient drugs that I hope “liberal Catholics [will] acknowledge how foolish they have been to support Obama’s anti-Catholic policies.”
That was probably too much to ask for, but now at least one liberal Catholic has said he cannot vote for Obama again: Michael S... More
The Chicago Tribune:
Gov. Pat Quinn met with Cardinal Francis George and other area Catholic leaders today to try to clear the air after some recent public disagreements.
Quinn, a practicing Catholic, met privately with George and bishops at the Union League Club in the Loop. With reporters waiting outside two of the doors to the club, the governor quickly ducked into a car at a third entrance wit... More