The Social Media Gap: A Letter to Team Romney

Dear Team Romney,

Hey there, guys. It’s little old swing-state straddling me here. From what I’m told, those two states of mine—Ohio and Pennsylvania—are really big “gets” for you. You want them. You need them. Which is why I have a question for you.

Where are you?

I know, you’re down the street at RNC headquarters making calls. I promise I’m doing my swing state duty and answering every time you or some other pollster dials my number. I’m hardly getting any work done because the phone is ringing so much, but I am answering.

I also know you’re on Channel 4, hitting three whole states at once—Pennsylvania, Ohio, and West Virginia. That’s a big market, so I’m glad that people are seeing you on WTAE.

But…I’m not seeing you. Not at all

Like millions of younger Americans, I don’t watch network TV. Even though I’m shelling out money this month and next for cable (what’s election season without the entertainment of a Chris Matthews’ breakdown?), I’m a creature of habit. Which means when I sit down to watch a TV show, I watch it on Hulu.

The problem, however, is that you’re not there. Week after week, show after show, and there’s never any smiling Romney or Ryan face for me to see during those “limited commercial interruptions.” And that makes me sad.

It makes me sad because there are so many young voters out there who still need to be persuaded (and can be persuaded) that voting for Romney/Ryan is the best hope folks under 40 have of not working until we’re 90. President Obama just keeps spending and spending our money. He’s not going to fix Social Security. He’s not going to fix Medicare. He can’t even get one measly little budget passed, let alone stop our country from diving off a fiscal cliff as the Baby Boomers move en masse to Florida.

Now, I recognize that there’s no guarantee Team Romney will fix our country’s little problem with entitlements either, but you’re definitely a safer bet than Mr. “My Campaign Won’t Let Anything Happen to Big Bird.” And you’ll also do it while not sanctioning the killing of unborn babies or infringing upon Catholics’ religious freedom. Which earns you two big thumbs up from me.

So, that’s one reason why I’m sad: Because Team Romney is passing up the chance to make key arguments to younger voters.

The other reason I’m sad is because President Obama is not passing up that chance. He’s making his case over and over and over again. And he’s really annoying me.

You may not know this because you’re too busy giving stump speeches to watch really smart shows like Fringe (and because you don’t care as much as I do about what new outfit from Anthropologie Snow White might be wearing on this week’s Once Upon a Time), but Obama is everywhere on Hulu. And Pandora. And all those other new fangled social media sites where the under 40 crowd hang out.

There, he’s doing this targeted advertising thing, talking about issues he thinks young voters care more about. Which to his liberal mind is same-sex marriage, contraception, and green energy.

It’s really awful. Nauseating sometimes. But I could almost endure it if I could see Romney’s smiling face or Ryan’s pretty blue eyes at least once during a show. If, for just 30 seconds, someone acted like people under 40 care about things besides sex and windmills, I would feel less insulted. But it never happens. The election gets closer and closer, but still no Team Romney during Castle.

Why? Why aren’t you there? Why have you abandoned us to the non-stop Obama/Biden propaganda? Won’t they let you buy ads on Hulu? Did you miss a deadline? Or have you written younger voters off?

I hope not. I hope that it’s just because no one on your staff took the time to tell you about Hulu. Well, it’s really cool. For a low monthly fee you can watch all the shows you want, and you don’t have to pay for a gajillion channels you never watch. You should check it out. And maybe, if there’s still time, buy some ads.

Please. Pretty please. Have pity on me. I can’t take any more windmill commercials.

Sincerely,

Emily Stimpson

Editor’s Note: Just in case anyone from the FEC is reading: Obviously the thoughts expressed here are the author’s alone and are not intended in anyway as coordination between the CatholicVote.org Candidate Fund and the Romney-Ryan campaign.

Emily Stimpson is a Contributing Editor to “Our Sunday Visitor” and the author of “The Catholic Girl’s Survival Guide for the Single Years,” where she dishes on the Church’s teachings about women, marriage, sex, work, beauty, suffering, and more.

26 thoughts on “The Social Media Gap: A Letter to Team Romney

1. Arwen says:

I wonder how Hulu targets their advertising, because I’ve been slammed with Romney ads on there. Seriously, I get a couple every time I sit down to watch a 20-minute sitcom. Do they perhaps have you pegged as a likely Obama voter instead?

1. Rich says:

Emily is a closet Obama supporter?

2. Rich says:

Fairly decent use of humor, but your overall bitterness still seeps through.
    Yet this may be the most honest piece you have written as it really does not say that you are speaking for the Church, but just as the little old GOP campaign operative.
    The funniest thing is how you try to sound with it, but reference HULU as your TV and really think the the Mittster can connect with the youth as a cultural Icon. I am sure from coast to coast young people everywhere are retweeting your message.
    Thanks for the laugh.
    New fangled. Wow they even got one of them there websites the kids have been hollering about. Crank up the mimeograph machine, there’s an election happenin’.

1. Shawn says:

You really don’t have any charity in you at all, it is a piety really. Do really know what the Church teaches at all?

1. Rich says:

Thank you Shawn for you unfounded accusations. However, I think you mean Pity and not Piety. That is quiet another statement. If you are recognizing the holiness of God in my words, then I thank for you’re his sake. It is good when brothers and sisters can speak in the Lord. I do, in fact, know what the Church teaches, and what Our Lord teaches. I do not think that we have anything that really suggest the necessity to bring down the president because of one’s political or partisan leanings, and there is definitely nothing to say that being a Republican is necessary for one’s salvation. It would be quite a different situation if this website was called be a more correct title that CATHOLICvote, as nothing here really reflects Catholicism in either it substance or its style. Even when the bloggers resort to mean humor, it is not Catholicism that they are defending, but only their limited political beliefs. There is no balance here, just some extremist without good training in Catholic thought and with no support from the Church at all. Yet the degrade our Church by their juvenile attempts at humor and their complete lack of respect for opinions that are not theirs. Is there something Catholic that you find in these behaviors? Do you really see the Spirit of God speaking in their works? Or is it just partisan politics delivered without any real care for how offensive they are to other Church members or for the good name of the Catholic Church. Defend them to your hearts content, just don’t sell out your faith to the GOP in doing so. This is not of God in any way. And please do not try an use the well Obama did this first argument. As Catholics we are called to take the high road in politics and not just a tit for tat approach. That is not what Jesus taught us. Hate me if you want, but I will stand for better conversations about politics that to bring down the Church by this behavior in her name. That is not even the message that the Bishops are telling you, but you will need to listen to what God is telling you. And I doubt it is to defend this website as a holy place.

1. Su in soCal says:

Rich, after you are done correcting Shawn’s spelling, would you take a look at your grammar? “It would be quite a different situation if this website was called be a more correct title that CATHOLICvote. . ,” and “Yet the degrade our Church. . .” and “Defend them to your hearts content. . .” and “do not try an use. . .” And you’re so cute when you’re angry!

1. Rich says:

Do you stick a hyphen in your anal retentive?
            Thank you Sister for the grammar lesson, apparently you were not able to understand the subtleness of intellectual humor, but I do find it funny that someone tried to insult me with the use of the word piety, and ended up saying something almost nice. Your comments however were just trying to be mean. However, as people of faith we are used to people insulting us when we preach the truth of our Lord. You try and have a nice day now, and remember that our calling is to correct others with the love of Christ Jesus. Blessings

1. Yum Yum says:

But he has such “pretty blue eyes.” And, of course, a smiley face. Which seems to confirm the idea that Catholic women under 40 think a lot about, well, er, um, y’know.

1. Catholic Troll says:

Politics? Cooking? Subsidiatiry? Sports? Solidarity? TV shows and commercials on Hulu?

2. True American says:

Typical. Watch him trying to turn the pots and pans away from the camera so that we can’t see that he is pretending to wash things that are already clean. He knows what he is doing is wrong. Yet he continues to do it anyway. He’s trying to deceive us and he thinks he can by away with it.

3. Morally Unrelative says:

I’m not going to be a moral relativist. I will follow the wise counsel of of Archbishop Lori. I cannot and will not vote for any candidate who supports a policy that is intrisically evil. We all know Obama’s position. Seems too many people here are more Republican than Catholic because both Romney and Ryan support abortion in the case of rape, incest and the health of the mother.
    Archbishop Lori: “The question to ask is this: Are any of the candidates of either party, or independents, standing for something that is intrinsically evil, evil no matter what the circumstances? If that’s the case, a Catholic, regardless of his party affiliation, shouldn’t be voting for such a person.”

1. Think About HIM says:

Romney makes money by disposing of aborted fetuses. He also supports abortion when the mother’s life is in danger, if she was raped, or if the child has an illness. I guess you are saying you don’t support Romney’s intrinsically evil policies and won’t vote for him

1. Rich says:

I think that is the point he is trying to make exactly. At least one person didn’t sell his soul to Mitt completely. There is hope.

2. abadilla says:

“both Romney and Ryan support abortion in the case of rape, incest and the health of the mother.”
      No, Mr. or Mrs. Troll. This is not true. Romney believes there are two exception to abortion, rape and incest. The President, on the other hand, embraces “all” abortions, at whatever stage, including partial birth abortion, and gay marriage, and supports lack of freedom of religion. So, there is a clear difference between the two men, So, stop trying to confuse the issue.
      Our bishops and the Pope have been very clear on this matter if you were to read episcopal and papal documents. A Catholic, in the face of two candidates who support abortion, must vote for the “lesser” of two evils. As Catholics we know one is not totally pro-life but the other we know (OBAMA) is completely anti-life. So, who do we vote for? I think you know the answer if you weren’t so busy trying to muddle the waters!

1. Catholic Troll says:

You can’t compare just war teaching (well, you can but not logically) from which some wars can be fought to abortion which is intrinsically evil in all cases and all circumstances. You are muddying up the water by your moral relativist reasoning, not me. And I don’t appreciate the name-calling. Please also note that Ryan said this verbatim during the debate: “”We don’t think that unelected judges should make this decision … people, through their elected representatives and reaching a consensus in society. through the democratic process, should make this determination.” And make that three exceptions including life of the mother as well as the two you stated. Prove otherwise from the VP debate transcript or admit you are not being truthful.

1. abadilla says:

I’m not muddying anything. Abortion is an intrinsic evil and no one who calls himself or herself (Mara) a Catholic, can ever support that and call themselves “loyal” Catholics, period. War, on the other hand, is a “prudential judgement” issue and Catholics on both sides of the same issue can take Holy Communion knowing that they are not violating the teachings of the Church. If war were an intrinsic evil, no Catholic could serve in the military nor would we have Catholic chaplains all over the place.
          I have not studied theology for over 50 years NOT to know better. Consult the Catechism, papal encyclicals, episcopal pronouncements, what Vatican II said, what St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas said about just wars, and then, by all means, get back to me.

2. Mara says:

1. abadilla says:

Mara, “The right of a woman not to bring a child into the world does not end at conception.” Where did women get that “right” and why is it a “right” to murder an unborn baby simply because that baby depends for his life on the mother? Even after a child is born, he or she depends on a father and a mother for those who are lucky enough to have both, but, where on earth do you or any woman get a “right” to butcher the unborn?
          Don’t you see Mara, that this type of thinking would have ended your “own” life if your mother were pro-abortion? Don’t you see that the “right” you talk about is not given by Christianity nor the God of Life? Don’t you see that abortion is an evil choice precisely because it destroys an innocent human life under the guise of a supposed “right?,” a right invented by a misreading of our Constitution by the Supreme Court? We have already butchered 55 million unborn children in this country, a crime of major proportions that makes the Holocaust look like Disneyland in comparison, and here you are still advocating for a right that existed in the minds of nine sick men in black robes and a “right” that has no constitutional basis whatsoever.

3. Shawn says:

Blessed Pope John Paul II wrote in Evangelium Vitae (The Gospel of Life), “…when it is
      not possible to overturn or completely abrogate a pro-abortion law, an
      elected official, whose absolute personal opposition to procured
      abortion was well known, could licitly support proposals aimed at
      limiting the harm done by such a law and at lessening its negative
      consequences at the level of general opinion and morality. This does not
      in fact represent an illicit cooperation with an unjust law, but rather
      a legitimate and proper attempt to limit its evil aspects.” So it is better to vote for Romney/Ryan than Obama.

4. Think About HIM says:

ROFLMAO: “It makes me sad because there are so many young voters out there who still need to be persuaded (and can be persuaded) that voting for Romney/Ryan is the best hope folks under 40 have of not working until we’re 90″

The Truth: Working class Americans fare better under democratic presidents. Also, the national debt has INCREASED DRAMATICALLY under EVERY SINGLE REPUBLICAN ADMINISTRATION. National debt increased 189% under Reagan, 55% under H. Bush, and 86% under W. Bush. It has increased only 37% under Clinton, and 35% under Obama.

I get it, you don’t like Obama, but it’s not because of economic issues. At least, not if you are being truthful.

5. Josephine says:

I think part of the problem is that first, a lot of young people are in public schools or big universities, both of which are quite liberal institutions. Plus the media, which most of us use, is quite liberal. There is also social media, which the MSM uses, and so this can be liberal too(Tumblr being quite radically left). Too many youth don’t do enough research on the issues, and so follow blindly whatever is told to them.
    If I could vote, I’d vote Romney/Ryan. They know how to fix the economy, and if Obama’s reelected, I won’t feel comfortable being a Catholic in this country any more.

1. Rich says:

and the great value of Catholicism is to be comfortable. When didn’t Jesus have his cross made of memory foam so he could sleep when he fell.
      And those atheistic public schools. Let’s round em all up and get rid of them so they don’t disturb our country.
      Who needs Jesus when you have Mitt to save us all.