The Worst Thing Ever? The Purity Host Dispenser

I’m still not convinced this is real. I hope it is not. But I fear it is.

Have you ever worried so much about picking up germs from receiving Communion that you decided to invent an awkward, pez-like dispenser to remove any possibility of human contact between you and the minister of Communion?

Me neither.

But someone did and, well, see for yourself:

Apparently this video was uploaded three years ago. Two years ago the makers of the product tried to defend its existence. They said:

“This [purity host dispenser] is necessary in order to prevent transmission of disease and the like. Some fear contagion through the handling involved in distributing the hosts. Hope this answers your question.”

The comment was voted down so many times it’s now hidden.

Seriously, worst thing ever.

Screen shot 2013-05-03 at 11.37.43 AM

Categories:Humor Liturgy

43 thoughts on “The Worst Thing Ever? The Purity Host Dispenser

1. Leslie T says:

I want this. I just ordered eight for our parish. Thank you!

2. JohnInCA says:

These things are the “worst thing ever”?

Woo!

Off the hook!

3. Monica Benninghoff says:

This can’t possibly be a Catholic Mass. The rubrics aren’t correct.

If you want something to be concerned about, worry about the contaminants on the outside of packaged food purchased at the grocery store! Did the stock clerk wash his hands or drop it on the floor? How many customers handled the package before you bought it?

1. Mark Polo says:

There’s also no corpus on the cross, so you are probably right that this is a Protestant service.

4. Mark Polo says:

The company seems to really exist. A white plastic one of these costs $55, a silver plated is 200+ and a gold plated is 300+. They also sell hosts pre-infused with non-alcoholic wine so that you can “receive under both species” hygenically. I would have doubts about the validity of those, even if the priest were actually celebrating Mass (unlike their video).

5. Knowledge in Truth says:

Plus, the part in which consecration (the Transubstantiation) occurs was not at all in line w/ Catholics! Nor is there a single crucifix.

Every Catholic Church I’ve seen, has a Crucifix somewhere behind the alter.

6. Knowledge in Truth says:

There is no way this is Catholic. And the only time I recall ever seeing tiny “cups” used, was when I attended a Lutheran service.

It has to be Protestant. I don’t even believe the most liberal Catholic Church would attempt something so blasphemous. The true Presence is not considered in Protestant churches, & is only symbolic for them.