This quote, taken from the Associated Press‘s coverage of the new translation of the Roman Missal roll-out, deserves to be immortalized before it is scrubbed from the news archives:

Maribeth Lynch, 51, a publisher from the Milwaukee suburb of Elm Grove, said she was “distraught” over the changes and would refuse to “learn the damn prayers.”

“It’s ridiculous. I’ve been a Catholic for 50 years, and why would they make such stupid changes? They’re word changes. They’re semantics,” she said. The priest “spent 40 minutes today on the changes instead of on the important stuff, like changing water into wine.”

How shocking to discover that a resident of a liberal Milwaukee environ who proudly proclaims her five decades of Catholic membership, drops the word d*mn casually, and complains about priestly attention to important details … also clearly failed Sunday school.

That is, unless priests suddenly have a new miraculous talent and no one updated me.

I think this little story is a nice reminder that the false “spirit” of Vatican II is on its way out. May it be replaced with a renewed spirit that, ya know, pays attention to the “important stuff” … like what is actually happening on the altar.

35 thoughts on “Theology Fail: Poster-Child for New Missal Resistance Says Priests Should Focus on “Changing Water into Wine”

1. L.V. says:

Amusing indeed. In the spirit of charity, though, she may have been complaining about the priest devoting his homily to the changes, rather than the readings (though the wedding at Cana wasn’t in the readings this past Sunday).

…It also sounds like the priest may have given a 40-minute homily, which would be enough in and of itself to drive many to profanity. :)

2. Fr Jim Chern says:

Tom – I’m so glad you’re around to point out this nonsense… Reading some of the responses on Rocco’s site where one person wrote they had to “walk out” half-way through the Mass epitomizes how unhinged some have become.

As a 38 year old who’s been a priest 12 years I never knew any other translation than the one we just “retired.” So there was a comfort-ability in the prayers and responses… but just uttering the new words has been such a beautiful experience for me personally and the college students I minister to, once you explained the reasons and meanings behind the new words, you could see how much they appreciated it and are looking forward to Mass to “try to get it right” (as one put it to me this evening…

I’m not a priest who’s into Latin Mass, or wish to revert to pre-Vatican II (As one who studied the reforms, I love that the Holy Spirit moved the Church towards that “Aggiornomento”) I really wish those who were so excited about “change” in the past could allow themselves to be stretched this time when the “change” didn’t go along with their wants and desires.

3. prevaticanII says:

I can not understand why this woman is upset…does she not understand that as we learn more, discover more, that many things in our lives change. Just as schoolbooks change as more discoveries are made in Science, History and many other areas, so too does the translations of important documents like the Bible and now the Mass. I was only 9 when changes began to take place after Vatican II, at the time I did not realize that the intentions of Vatican II were taken to extremes. I am thankful that our Church continues to evolve and makes changes as new discoveries are made. I would think this woman would appreciate that, rather the Church could be like her and refuse to change even in the face of new discoveries made by those who study languages. apparently there are still many people who think the Church should cater to them, that it is ‘all about them’ – I pray they realize it is all about HIM.

4. rblanton8 says:

While I haven’t read all of the posts, I am very frustrated at the amount of hate and lack of understanding that is happening here in these comments.

Skepticism and hesitance are to be expected at any sort of change. Humans are beings of habit.

She said “damn”… so what? Let’s not pretend that any of us have never acted in misconduct when we’ve felt angry or upset.

There seems to be a great lack of understanding and empathy.

1. prevaticanII says:

Maybe you should read the posts before accusing those responding to this article of being ‘hateful’ and lacking in understanding. The only nasty words I have read are those quoted by the subject of the article. for someone to refer to being ‘distraught’ over “damn prayers” and “stupid changes”. Possibly she needs all of our prayers for her to become understanding and leave out the hateful, hurtful language she uses. There are others who do not understand the changes and may benefit from reading why the changes have been made or listening to 40 minutes of explanation by their pastors. A large number of parishes gathered and spent time reading the changes, the reasons and were able to ask questions. Of course, there are many who just can not find it in their hearts to give a few extra hours in order to know their faith. it is one thing to claim to be Catholic and another to ‘be’ a Catholic. Let us all pray for this woman and others who do not understand the changes. Why not offer to help some of these people and read the explanations to them as well as other reference materials. That is what HE would have us do for our brothers and sisters.

2. TrueCatholic says:

I have to agree with rblanton8. It is sometimes not Mr. Peters’ posts that are hateful but the responses of those who comment. The post in question was informative and instructive. The comments have been, for the most part, thoughtless and hateful. Calling others names and mocking them never achieves anything.

5. Mjvst says:

Umm…words have meanings. How we say things is important in shaping our understanding and appreciation of things. What she refers to as semantics is incredibly important because it is the liturgy that will shape people’s appreciation and understanding of the faith, especially given the low level of catechesis among many Catholics. This woman is the emobiment of the attitude that the Church belongs to the faithful, rather than that it belongs to Christ, and that it should reflect the attitudes of the faithful, rather than forming their attitudes in the image of Christ.

6. [...] Some Says Priests Should Focus on “Changing Water into Wine” – Th. Peters, Cth Vt/AmP [...]