This quote, taken from the Associated Press‘s coverage of the new translation of the Roman Missal roll-out, deserves to be immortalized before it is scrubbed from the news archives:

Maribeth Lynch, 51, a publisher from the Milwaukee suburb of Elm Grove, said she was “distraught” over the changes and would refuse to “learn the damn prayers.”

“It’s ridiculous. I’ve been a Catholic for 50 years, and why would they make such stupid changes? They’re word changes. They’re semantics,” she said. The priest “spent 40 minutes today on the changes instead of on the important stuff, like changing water into wine.”

How shocking to discover that a resident of a liberal Milwaukee environ who proudly proclaims her five decades of Catholic membership, drops the word d*mn casually, and complains about priestly attention to important details … also clearly failed Sunday school.

That is, unless priests suddenly have a new miraculous talent and no one updated me.

I think this little story is a nice reminder that the false “spirit” of Vatican II is on its way out. May it be replaced with a renewed spirit that, ya know, pays attention to the “important stuff” … like what is actually happening on the altar.

35 thoughts on “Theology Fail: Poster-Child for New Missal Resistance Says Priests Should Focus on “Changing Water into Wine”

1. Cindy says:

When I read the article on Sunday, I couldn’t let it pass without a comment. Perhaps she did just misspeak, but not everyone reading it would come to that conclusion. I politely responded to the error. In checking back today, her comments had already been altered, and the “water into wine” statement no longer appears; therefore, if my comment does appear (?), it would make absolutely no sense. More likely, my comment has also been removed…teachable moment gone.

2. Mos says:

Another case of “I am Church and I can do whatever the h*ll I want. I refuse to sit 40 minutes before a priest changes water into wine.”

How terribly sad. Looks like someone desperately needs to be properly catechized in the Holy Catholic faith.

With wisdom comes understanding. I myself found the preparation and explanation of the translation to be wonderful. The beauty of the old prayers brings me to tears.

Thank you Holy Spirit, and Holy Mother Church, for bringing the Scriptural and poetic beauty of the prayers back to the Mass! It was a looong time comming and I’m glad I lived to see it!

3. Jennifer Roche says:

And she is just wrong. She says changing water into wine? Has she not known what was going on at the altar for the last 50 years. Very sad indeed.

4. Adam Rasmussen says:

Are you seriously complaining that she used the word “damn”? *rolls eyes*

5. Susan Vigilante says:

Payback’s a b*tch.

6. Richard G Evans says:

First of all I am 56 years old in December. When I was a small child the Mass was still in Latin. As it migrated towards English, there were 3 distinct phases, where there was gradually less Latin and more English. I still have the 1965 Missal from that era, which we used when I was an altar server.

If you compare the people’s parts of the Mass from then to the ones we just adopted, you would find you could very nearly use that Missal in Mass again today and follow along nicely. If this woman really has gone to Mass for “50 years” she would remember this too.
    It is essentially the same.

Some people are feeling a misguided (in my opinion) pity towards this woman. But she is not alone in her dissent. There are whole groups of people against this change. Why? In most cases, if pressed, I believe you would find that the true fears are issues such as having to refer to God as “Father” during Mass instead of the “heavenly parent” and that somehow going back to a better but earlier Liturgy means the loss of freedom to “be a Catholic and do what I want.”

I do not know her heart obviously nor do I judge her soul. But my hunch is that she is likely for the ordination of women, does not believe in calling the priests “Father” and does not accept Transubstantion anyway, hence her statement of sarcasm regarding “water into wine.” Her bishop needs to take her aside, if he has not done so already, clearly review the teachings of the Church with her, and then if she persists in her public campaign to then excommunicate her.

Here in our Archdiocese (St Paul/Minneapolis) this actually occurred with an entire local parish a few years ago–the priest was not even allowed to sit in the front by the altar,since they believed he needed to be considered an “equal,” and they even had occasional “priestless liturgies” among other things. But they also did a ton of good things for the poor and needy in our community and have for 30 years. That of course made the situation particularly volatile because so many people, including me, support that portion of what this find but misguided group of people were doing.

Our wise Archbishop eventually issued gradual adjustments towards the traditional, with a timeline, and gave them public notice as to when this would occur. He then issued a letter, read from the pulpit, saying that those who could not accept this would no longer be in communion with the Church. He gave them months to implement these changes. Still it of course hit the papers, and caused all kinds of repercussions that would anything but pretty. The end result was that 200 people left, primarily the majority of the English speaking community, but the parish is now thriving due to the Latino people who welcomed and supported the traditional calls to change back into the parish and community. And the work for the poor still goes on.

It had to be incredibly tough on the one lone priest who enforced these changes to watch virtually all of the “white and feminist” activists leaving, week after week. But that change brought this parish back to its roots–Catholicism. This woman needs to be stopped.