Three Reasons I Ate at Chick-Fil-A Yesterday.

In descending order of importance.

These guys really made out well yesterday. Mooooo.

1) Freedom of conscience, expression. The reason Boston, Chicago, and possibly Philly have threatened to ban Chik-Fil-A is because the owner had the audacity to express a belief that they find unfashionable. Seems Chicago values, Boston values, and Philly values don’t include tolerance or freedom of expression.*

2) I support traditional marriage. If a guy is getting persecuted for supporting a belief that is written into the very fabric of our beings as men and women, a belief that has been held since the dawn of human relations by every civilized culture, I’ll support him. Note, please that “I support traditional marriage” and “I hate gays” are very different statements. Don’t confuse them if you wish to engage in civil or intelligent discourse.

3) It’s tasty chicken. Since I was a kid and the Chick-Fil-A in the mall would pass out free samples of their chicken I’ve always liked their sammiches. So it was an easy decision to make. 35-minute drive, then a 30-minute wait in the drive-through line, with a totally packed dining room, but totally worth it. (And, for the record, the manager who was manning the drive-through window reported that yes, they were running out of some items when we went through at 8:30 p.m., in spite of getting a truck in with supplies at 2 p.m.)

*Note that number one did not mention what the unfashionable belief is? That’s because it doesn’t actually matter. In our system, if you disagree with the business model of a company you can vote with your dollars—don’t go there! But this push to use the power of government to punish people who merely express what some believe to be an unfasionable opinion is thoroughly unAmerican and sets a very dangerous precedent.

80 thoughts on “Three Reasons I Ate at Chick-Fil-A Yesterday.

1. Ginny Mattson says:

You nailed it! Leftist Liberalism is quickly becoming the new Fascism right before our eyes. I can’t wait till the Chick-Fil-A opens in our town!

2. Nels says:

Just a thought concerning this latest dust up about the freedom to express oneself. I wonder how long it will be before the “powers that be” i n Chicago, Boston, Philly and other places will tell the Catholic church they are no long welcome in their cities because of their belief in traditional marriage. If the church doesn’t change their bias and discrimination against gays and allow same sex marriage then they should be banned from their cities. Impossible? Some are already threating to charged ministers of faith with “hate speech” for teaching the precepts of sacred scripture. Who would have thought just a few years ago in America this subject would even come up. Ask yourself the same question asked by the faithful of centurys ago. Am I willing to die for my faith in my God? In a few years, you may get your chance to answer that question. Jesus, Mary, and Joseph, help us in this our day of trial.

1. Ellen says:

Nels, I’ve been saying this since this whole thing (trying to run the restaurant out of Chicago and Boston) started. Chik-fil-A doesn’t discriminate against anyone, in hiring or service. The Catholic Church, however, will NEVER allow same sex marriage. We will “discriminate”, and not allow a same sex couple to “marry” in our churches. That surely is worse, right? This is just the tip of the iceberg. If the government can get away with this, they will be able to shut down churches. What’s next? Investigating what organizations individuals support, and “redlining” them out of certain areas. And, AFAIK, Mr. Cathy gives money to the Nat’l Organization for Marriage (NOM) and Focus on the Family. I’ve not heard that either of these groups are trying to “outlaw” homosexuality or put gays to death in Uganda. Interestingly, though, the owners of OPEC already do that! Have fun trying to never use gasoline!

3. Bob Montelongo says:

Those are the reasons my family went for lunch then dinner. While in line I told my kids that there used to be a saying that every American would agree to with respectful “damn right!” it went like this; ” I disagree with what you saying but I would give my life defending your right to say it! ” those were the days!

4. Theresa says:

I an curious as to the articles that you are quoting. Could you please send me the names of the publication where you got it and also the name of the article as well as the dates of the publication? Thank you.

5. Barbara Devanna says:

Very well said – It was plain un-American to try and ruin a business because of their religious beliefs. These politicians were doing something illegal, trying to stop Chick Filet from coming into their cities.

6. Gold4u26 says:

CHICK-Fil-A… not chik. I am sure this will get everyone on the same page.