Video: Obama Calls for an End to Catholic Schools

Earlier this week in Northern Ireland, Notre Dame honorary-degree holder President Obama called for an end to Catholic schools, in front of an audience of about 2,000 young people — many of them Catholic:

This was part of his official prepared remarks which are now available on the White House website:

“…Because issues like segregated schools and housing, lack of jobs and opportunity — symbols of history that are a source of pride for some and pain for others — these are not tangential to peace; they’re essential to it.  If towns remain divided — if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs — if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division.  It discourages cooperation.”

I would argue this is actually even worse than it seems at first glance.

After all, under Obama we have seen the rise of a toxic government culture where unelected bureaucrats feel enabled to target and harass American citizens whose political views differ from their own.

Now that President Obama has essentially saw fit to declare open season on Catholic schools abroad, what’s to stop the U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan or other officials in that department from seeing Obama’s remarks as their excuse to start harassing Catholic schools here?

Screen shot 2013-06-20 at 4.45.56 PMIf this sounds crazy, remember how crazy it sounded only a few years ago that Catholic institutions would be forced by the government to pay for contraception and abortifacient pills, or how crazy it sounded only a few months ago that the IRS would intentionally target conservatives for audits and other politically-motivated harassment.

Obama’s remarks also, once again, went out of their way to single out Catholics. As Fr. Z pointed out:

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a foreign visit to a Islamic nation where he told people on his arrival that they shouldn’t have madrasas.  Can you?

Did he when visiting, say, Israel, say “You Jews shouldn’t have synagogue schools and you Muslims shouldn’t have mosque schools.”  I can’t remember.  Did he?

Of course not — because such comments would rightfully invite criticism and be condemned.

Outside Catholic circles, I don’t see anyone talking about what Obama said about Catholic schools in Ireland.

Protestants should be offended as well.

And here’s my biggest concern — Obama really believes what he said. He really does believe Catholics and Protestants having their own schools is “part of the problem.” And so does the left.

So speak up now, while we still have a chance of grabbing his attention and showing him we’re not going to stand for it.

Please SIGN THIS NEW CV PETITION to Obama demanding his apology.

First our hospitals and businesses, and now our schools — I’ve had enough.

99 thoughts on “Video: Obama Calls for an End to Catholic Schools

1. Katie TLC says:

Indeed, Sir Fox, were there Catholic indoctrination or brain-washing centers open and running, I would desire them closed as well. As we are talking about schools here, as you so aptly put it: “Why to go Mr. Prez”? Why go there indeed…

2. JoAnne Linsenbach says:

I see this totally differently. Obama may see this as divisional. I see this as Obama wants control over all schools. Currently, Catholic schools (and Baptist schools, and any other private schools) do not receive funding from the Federal government and therefore they do not have to follow certain rules that public schools do, such as: they can set a dress code (uniforms), and they can require that tuition be paid. Private schools require teachers to have a college degree and a background check – not sure about an educational degree, but state requirements must be met.

3. Katherine says:

Even the Catholic League is defending the President on this.

4. Jane Eyre says:

Wow. You all have been drinking the Obama kool aid, huh? What “right” does an American President have to criticize Ireland about their problems? Zero. He should have shut his big fat trap. Thanked them for the potato, sausages and beer and then been on his merry way and minded his own dam business. this President runs around the world trying to correct others? Why doesn’t he stay in his own dam house and fix his own country. He needs to just shut his trap and stay out of things Irish and Catholic. Both of which he is neither. Sickens me every time he goes on a trip and opens his fat trap yapper.

5. seriously? says:

Seriously? Do you have not one iota of understanding of Ireland? He’s referring to removing the segregation and divide between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland, which in conjunction with centuries of English occupation has produced violence for decades. I know reading comprehension is hard for you though.

1. Antonio A. Badilla says:

Why is that “his” business? What if a person from Northern Ireland were to come here to criticize what we do or don’t do in the United States?

2. Cheryl says:

That is the POINT…England conquered Ireland over land…not religion…how many uneducated people including Obama think it is about religion! No, he meant it as an attack on Catholics again…notice he did not identify which protestants.

6. wm.fox says:

It’s long over due to close All catholic indoctrination and brain washing centers. Why to go Mr. Prez. Keep up the good work.
    WF

1. Antonio A. Badilla says:

I work in a Catholic high school and no brainwashing is going on, however, what do you supposed is happening at public high schools, perfectly balanced teaching? Please!

2. Cheryl says:

…and you would be on this site….why? Jesus started the Catholic church….I didn’t go to Catholic school and wasn’t brainwashed…figued it out for myself and I have a right to my faith without attacks from people like you against it and trying to force me into your “undevisive” beliefs as long as we believe what you do, right. NO thanks….I don’t believe in killing babies and shouldn’t have to pay for it. I do believe in the Church that Jesus started and its doctrine that hasn’t changed for over 2000 years and heck the saints are still preserved by some miracles if I was foolish enough not too and still needed proof.