Video: Obama Calls for an End to Catholic Schools

Earlier this week in Northern Ireland, Notre Dame honorary-degree holder President Obama called for an end to Catholic schools, in front of an audience of about 2,000 young people — many of them Catholic:

This was part of his official prepared remarks which are now available on the White House website:

“…Because issues like segregated schools and housing, lack of jobs and opportunity — symbols of history that are a source of pride for some and pain for others — these are not tangential to peace; they’re essential to it.  If towns remain divided — if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs — if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division.  It discourages cooperation.”

I would argue this is actually even worse than it seems at first glance.

After all, under Obama we have seen the rise of a toxic government culture where unelected bureaucrats feel enabled to target and harass American citizens whose political views differ from their own.

Now that President Obama has essentially saw fit to declare open season on Catholic schools abroad, what’s to stop the U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan or other officials in that department from seeing Obama’s remarks as their excuse to start harassing Catholic schools here?

Screen shot 2013-06-20 at 4.45.56 PMIf this sounds crazy, remember how crazy it sounded only a few years ago that Catholic institutions would be forced by the government to pay for contraception and abortifacient pills, or how crazy it sounded only a few months ago that the IRS would intentionally target conservatives for audits and other politically-motivated harassment.

Obama’s remarks also, once again, went out of their way to single out Catholics. As Fr. Z pointed out:

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a foreign visit to a Islamic nation where he told people on his arrival that they shouldn’t have madrasas.  Can you?

Did he when visiting, say, Israel, say “You Jews shouldn’t have synagogue schools and you Muslims shouldn’t have mosque schools.”  I can’t remember.  Did he?

Of course not — because such comments would rightfully invite criticism and be condemned.

Outside Catholic circles, I don’t see anyone talking about what Obama said about Catholic schools in Ireland.

Protestants should be offended as well.

And here’s my biggest concern — Obama really believes what he said. He really does believe Catholics and Protestants having their own schools is “part of the problem.” And so does the left.

So speak up now, while we still have a chance of grabbing his attention and showing him we’re not going to stand for it.

Please SIGN THIS NEW CV PETITION to Obama demanding his apology.

First our hospitals and businesses, and now our schools — I’ve had enough.

99 thoughts on “Video: Obama Calls for an End to Catholic Schools

1. Maureen Gorman says:

Mr. President, please change your attitude about Catholic people, Catholic Schools;hospitals; Charities. You seem to talk them down all the time. It is time you found the facts as they are true and do this by visiting and studying ALL things Catholic. The People, their Works; and finally the Faith. You will be brought to your knees in Thanksgiving.
    for all.
    That is my prayer for you. Since birth I have been a Catholic. So have some of my friends. But, Guess What! some of my friends grew up Protestant ; as did some of my family. What happened between us was Love. Love of God, Love of Country, Love of Each Other. Learn the Truth, Mr. President. STOP being afraid of the truth.
    With prayer
    maureen

2. Georgette L. says:

What gall for this fraud Obama/Soetoro in our WH, telling the people of Ireland to close Catholic Schools… You know he will try to do the same in the US of A. Thankfully no one will listen to his rantings. He wouldn’t DARE tell Muslims to close their schools. I understand that their school books do not have Israel on any of their maps. What about his darlings – protected by private school security & U.S. secret service. I guess they should also be closed.

3. C. Wood says:

I suggest another facet for considering President Obama’s remarks and for not misapplying them to whatever might be his disposition toward private religious education in the U.S.. Namely, it’s notable, for context and for contrast with the U.S. school system that, according to the Washington Times (http://tinyurl.com/k4jk6k7), “Children in Northern Ireland attend state schools that differ according to religion. In nearly all cases, a Catholic family and a Protestant one living next door will send their children to different schools.”

4. Theresa Stutz says:

Believe me, I am fully aware that Obama is an enemy to the Catholic Faith…However, I can’t find fault in this statement! After all it IS BECAUSE of divisions and disunity in the lives of Christians, both Protestant and Catholic alike, that make us weak…and this weak “front” means a “weak” message of “Good News” to the world!
    We of course, shouldn’t create a “false” testimony of unity in a “public school system, run by the Gov’t! We however do need to develop more understanding and respect OF diversity! This is a whole other matter!

5. Veronique says:

Who the hell does this man think he is? The new World dictator. Wil somebody please tell him to mind his own business. He can’t even do that right.

6. T. Fields says:

Why does he think he has the answers? Our country is in a mess, and he wants to tell other countries how to fix themselves. I hope the citizens of other countries realize he does not talk for the average American.

1. ria says:

I think just as T.Fields and Veronique.
      Obama is the wrong men on the wrong place.
      I live in Europe, and we will manage our lives ourself.
      We do’nt need a leader like he is. Shame on you Obama, ria