Video: Rick Santorum’s Surprisingly Funny (and Pro-Big-Family) Ad

I skipped over this when I saw it first … I’m glad I decided to actually watch it:

A Fox News blogger explains it just right:

Presidential candidate Rick Santorum says he’s got the courage to do the impossible and that’s the reason Republicans should pick him to run against President Obama in 2012.

“The Courage to Fight for America” is his campaign slogan, but in this new ad, Santorum isn’t talking about his strong social stances or his determination to combat terrorists at home and abroad.

No, no. This ad highlights the courage… to drive thousands of miles with seven kids.

The ad shows a funny, approachable side to Santorum that may prove just as important as the issues to some voters. Santorum hopes to do well next week in the first substantial test of 2012 — the Ames straw poll.

On YouTube the video has 8 likes and 50 dislikes (because the liberal blog Think Progress posted it). Oh brother, what’s not to love here? I hope you go to YouTube and show the Santorum family some “like” love.

This ad puts me in mind of what I was going for in a lengthy post I wrote a couple months ago entitled “The Catholic Case for Rick Santorum.”

Maybe I can summarize it more clearly now: Rick brings all these good ideas, values and experiences into the presidential race in a package that no other current candidate can rival. Big families, big ideas, and minivans — I love it.

Rick needs to do real well this weekend at the Iowa Straw Poll to continue his campaign. I hope he does.

He hopes you do too.

11 thoughts on “Video: Rick Santorum’s Surprisingly Funny (and Pro-Big-Family) Ad

1. susanna says:

111 likes today. Very cute.

I agree with Rachel though – disillusioned with faithful Catholics in the media spotlight.

1. Jon says:

How is he a faithful Catholic? He’s blatantly disregarded the Church’s teaching on just war – which is a life issue with very far reaching consequences. He is no better than the Pelosis and Bidens of the world, who ignore the teachings they want out of political convenience.

Don’t be disillusioned with the faithful Catholics, be disillusioned with the unfaithful ones. :)

1. Jon says:

I’m very curious why someone would dislike this comment. Is anything factually untrue?

2. Scott S says:

Yeah, “think” and “progress” are clearly two of Thomas’ least favorite words.

3. Rachel says:

I would be 100% behind Santorum if he wasn’t responsible for Spector. I’m a Catholic homeschooling mother of 9, he seems like an ideal candidate but I am so disillusioned with so-called faithful Catholics in the media spotlight, Santorum, Corapi, Euteneuer, Legion os Christ, etc to name a few.Maybe a bit harsh to lump him in there but he betrayed the unborn for political gain, he lost my trust.

4. laura says:

Having just completed a 2000 mile round trip with 5 kids, I can really relate! This video is great!

5. mac says:

Santorum needs to start looking for a job to support his “big” family.

His presidential aspirations are going nowhere. What is his polling figures in the Iowa straw poll? 2%? Correct me if I am wrong.

1. Scott S says:

Yeah, no one will correct you because you are right, they will just thumbs down your comment in order to make themselves feel superior.

6. Davide says:

Big families rock! Logistics nightmare but we suffer through it. Thank you so much for this video post