What a “modern” moment — the moment when well-known atheist Penn Jillette explains to self-described Catholic Piers Morgan what it means to be Catholic (at least, Penn gives Piers a better formulation than Piers could ever come up with):

Piers’ line about “young Catholics” particularly got to me, of course. It’s up to you, my fellow young Catholics, to prove Piers wrong about what inspires and motivates young Catholics! We have to be out there in the culture in a visible way so people like Piers can’t get away with telling themselves lies about what the future of the Church holds!

Screen shot 2013-03-07 at 11.13.30 AM

Categories:Media Theology Video Youth

52 thoughts on “Video: The Precise Moment an Atheist Finally Explains to Piers Morgan What It Means to Be Catholic

1. Richard says:

These comments are more proof than ever necessary to reveal why it is that Catholics in America, indeed throughout the world are fed up with the self-righteous and bigoted attitudes of the likes of you. As a recovering Catholic you might wish to join me in discovering more Christ-like organizations such as Catholics for Equality. The Church of old is dying on the vine, as it should.

1. Antonio A. Badilla says:

“The Church of old is dying on the vine, as it should.”

“And the gates of hell shall not prevail against it,” and two thousand years have proven the veracity of Christ’s words. The Church is dying? Let’s see, more than 1 billion, not bad for a Church that is dying!

2. Indy says:

I grew up in a liberal, Catholic family. I know more Catholics who sound like Piers than those who sound like myself. They advocate free birth control and abortion. But claim that Catholics should vote liberally because the church believes in helping the needy. I guess our definitions of “help are different. It was that frustration that finally lead me to feel as though I had to leave the church. Not because I disagree with the Catholic Church but because I disagree with the Catholics in the Church.

1. Antonio A. Badilla says:

Well, come back. You have read Catholics here who are in-love with the faith and what the Church teaches!

3. Frederick j. Chapman says:

WOW, an atheist has defended the Catholic Church. Piers is unable to defend the Church because it isn’t what he wants it to be. Piers, please reread the Catechism. If after doing so, you aren’t willing to accept it, then it might be time to question your
    faith. Are you a Catholic in name only, or are you prepared to make a bold move and defend it? If not it may be time to chose another religion that meets what you want it to be.

4. Terrian Williams says:

It’s pretty bad when a person who claims to be Catholic has to have a non-Catholic, and professed atheist, explain to the Catholic what the Faith teaches…I think somehow, the catechesis for the past 40–50 yrs., has not gotten through to alot of current-day Catholics. There may be a time coming when Catholics will have to make a clear-cut choice to go with the Infallible teachings of Christ in the Catholic Church or get out and make like a tree and leave.

5. Gee says:

One of the issues discussed here are condoms and prevention of disease, saving of lives as not endorsed by a pope.
    As a Catholic, I believe abstinance as a way of preventing disease thus saving lives. This, however, requires self denial and THAT is the issue.

6. Rintx says:

Catholics either believe in what the Catholic church teaches (they are Catholic) or they don’t (they are Catholic in name only). Penn explains it beautifully. “You either believe it or you don’t”. It’s as simple as that.