What a “modern” moment — the moment when well-known atheist Penn Jillette explains to self-described Catholic Piers Morgan what it means to be Catholic (at least, Penn gives Piers a better formulation than Piers could ever come up with):

Piers’ line about “young Catholics” particularly got to me, of course. It’s up to you, my fellow young Catholics, to prove Piers wrong about what inspires and motivates young Catholics! We have to be out there in the culture in a visible way so people like Piers can’t get away with telling themselves lies about what the future of the Church holds!

Screen shot 2013-03-07 at 11.13.30 AM

Categories:Media Theology Video Youth

52 thoughts on “Video: The Precise Moment an Atheist Finally Explains to Piers Morgan What It Means to Be Catholic

1. annie says:

I had no idea Piers was Catholic but that’s probably because I checked out on paying any attention to him a long time ago. I didn’t think my opinion of him could sink any lower. I was wrong. Conversely, my respect for Penn Jillette rose. Strange morning here.

2. Mary says:

It is amazing how clear thinking atheists can be. He really gets it, unlike Piers.
    It doesn’t need to make sense to us. Whoever said that the mind of God would ALWAYS make sense to us. If we truly believe that God is the ultimate intelligence and eternal, how can we assume that we will process the impact of everything everywhere from these little personal opinions of ours?
    Well done, Penn. May God bring you into the fullness of His Grace yet.

3. Julie says:

This is a delightful example of our Lord’s sense of humor. He chose to use a professed atheist to reprove a self-identified Catholic for his cafeteria-style approach to the Church. Thank you, Thomas.

4. Antonio A. Badilla says:

Isn’t it amazing that an atheist had to explain to a “Catholic” what it means to be a Catholic? So many times here at CV I have suggested strongly, and sometimes uncharitably, to so-called Catholics, to embrace some other church of their liking, because “being” a Catholic, means being guided by the Church, for the Church is Christ in space and time. If one is unable or unwilling to do so, intellectual integrity demands one is supposed to leave the Church if one is not willing to embrace her teachings.

5. eve says:

Sadly, this is the kind of thinking one falls into when a so called “catholic” fails to participate in the sacraments, especially reconciliation

6. Joseph says:

I seen Penn have a discussion with Glenn Beck (A Mormon) Even though Penn is an Atheist i love how he mixes his Atheism with his libertarianism. He may not believe in the Catholic church’s teachings however he respect its beliefs and values.. They Catholics are not bothering him so live and let live.