Rick Santorum had a HUGE night last night, winning all three states that held primaries and caucuses yesterday: Missouri by over 30 points (winning every county), Minnesota by almost 20 points, and most surprising of all, Colorado by 5 points.

First of all, I want to PRAISE and THANK all of you who responded to my post yesterday calling on Catholics to support Rick Santorum in these states.

One provocative take on what fueled this Santorum surge is Larry Kudlow’s (who most people will know from his financial show on CNBC):

“A vote for Rick Santorum tonight was the easiest and most immediate voter path to protest Obamacare and Obama’s pro-abortion view.”

Kathyrn Lopez says Kudlow told her: It’s a referendum on Obamacare and the Department of Health and Human Services mandate.

Now there’s a fascinating idea. After all, polls show that a large portion of GOP primary voters are making their final choice for who to support the week before and day of the primary. As my list shows, Catholic bishops across Minnesota, Missouri and Colorado instructed their priests to join them in denouncing the mandate from the pulpit these past two Sundays, and a Rasmussen poll today finds that a majority of voters oppose the mandate. And Rick Santorum has been mentioning his strong opposition to the mandate on the campaign trail leading up to yesterday’s elections.

People are angry about this mandate. And they are looking for the candidate who most strongly can articulate what is wrong with the mandate and what he would do as President to reverse course on this and a host of other threats to religious freedom.

Whatever the reasons, Rick Santorum now has his best shot to win the Republican nomination. Maine is currently holding its caucuses. Arizona and Michigan hold their primaries on February 28th (save the date!) and Washington state holds its caucuses on March 3rd. If you live in these states or have friends and family who do, please do what you can to continue building the Santorum momentum!

As I tweeted last night, “I love that politics still surprises me. I predicted a big night [for Rick Santorum]. This was a huge night.”

I woke up this morning realizing the possibility of a Rick Santorum presidency is far less remote than it was yesterday. What a pleasant and, indeed, exciting surprise. Game on!

15 thoughts on “Was Santorum’s Triple Victory Last Night a Referendum on Obamacare’s HHS Mandate?

1. Robert Smith says:

I was at the Colorado caucuses and I got the great honor for speaking for Santorum. I made sure everybody knew that the HHS mandate wasn’t just an attack on Catholics, it was an attack on the constitution and on all Americans. I’m proud to say my precinct voted for Santorum and I look forward to doing everything I can to continue supporting his campaign. And if I may, it was a great thrill and incredibly fun to watch the good guy win and knowing that I was a part of it. Thanks Thomas for all your hard work!

2. Rosemary A. says:

“Game on!” I wish it were only a “game”, but the outcome of this election is likely to be deadly serious. And we should be seriously praying.

3. TeamD says:

Wow!! I stayed up late last night to watch the final tally in CO and was literally teary and giddy about the message it sent. Now we all know the Media Machine will downplay it as much as possible (either by not mentioning it or by saying it was flawed, didn’t matter, blah blah blah…). But I feel this really may be the time. Santorum often evokes Reagan and refers to “American Exceptionalism.” This means so many things to so many people…but today I am feeling it means something new to me. I have been feeling down about the state of our Nation…that our country is becoming less “One Nation Under God” and more a nation without God. Now I just wonder…are we really going to be “exceptional” – not like many modern nations that are boasting a Post-Christian era, proud of their plunging birthrate, misguided and misinformed about the difference between freedom and liberty? I sure hope so and I sure PRAY that WE PICK RICK!!!

4. mominvermont says:

Go Santorum!

Here’s one more reason to vote out Obamacare and the birth control mandate: Occupy Wall Street protesters in Providence, RI dumped a boxful of condoms on Catholic school girls at a pro-life rally.
    Will the left start replacing their glitter bombs with condom bombs?

Question: Under Obamacare, will Catholics be forced to pay for condoms thrown at Catholic schoolgirls?

5. John Barnes says:

“Was Santorum’s Triple Victory Last Night a Referendum on Obamacare’s HHS Mandate?” Excellent question, Thomas. If that is indeed the case, another question comes to mind: If Mitt Romney’s support for conscience protections is as clear, unequivocal, and longstanding as Kathryn Lopez, David French, and others insist, why did voters flock to Santorum in response to Obama’s mandate?

1. Joe M says:

Because others have successfully sold an inaccurate portrayal of Romney on that issue?

1. John Barnes says:

Or because a lot of voters realize that Romney’s positions change depending on what office he’s seeking and when he’s seeking it.

1. Joe M says:

Or Romney has genuinely changed his position on a few issues (for the better) and his opponents want to spin that for their gain. — I’m happy to give open consideration to your argument if you can provide a substantiated case.

6. John says:

We have to make sure the pressure stays on Obama over this mandate. We can’t let him backpedal enough that the mandate is forgotten by November. American voters traditionally have short memories.

John

1. Joe M says:

Indeed. I think they’re hoping this will just kind of go away in a few weeks.