Time Magazine’s latest cover depicts Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan sharing a laugh, with Reagan’s arm around Obama’s shoulders.
First and foremost, it’s funny in light of the recent “revelation” by Ron Reagan that his dad showed early signs of Alzheimer’s way back during his first term. So on the one hand you have one liberal outlet talking about how Obama is trying to emulate Reagan and even pro-actively associating the Won with the Gipper, while on the other hand you have another liberal outlet saying the man Obama is trying to emulate had Alzheimer’s while POTUS.
Whatever. Obama is no Reagan by any stretch of the imagination–there’s a massive integrity gap, for one, then there’s that whole socialist/anti-socialist thing, and trusting the American people rather than an elite class of technocrats appointed to run everything.
But it is funny that all of a sudden Reagan is worthy of emulation and is someone even liberals want to be associated with… Anyone see comparisons to Carter as a good thing? Heh.
Secondly, I think this photo calls for a caption contest. What did Reagan say just a moment before?… Some ideas:
• “There you go again, trying out that socialism thing once more.”
• “That’s a tele-prompter? I always thought it was a fancy spatula.”
• “So I said to Gorbachev, the American people love freedom too much to embrace socialism.”
• “You know, Barack, perhaps that socialist thing will work this time since you have such a winning smile.”
• “I will not exploit, for political purposes, my opponent’s youth and inexperience.”
Share yours in the comments.