I’ve already written that nothing Nancy Pelosi can say about abortion will shock me anymore.

Turns out I was wrong.

Yes, her latest Pelosi Abortion Outrage™, prompted by the entirely appropriate question posed to her by John McCormack of the Weekly Standard, still came as no particular surprise to me:

Screen shot 2013-06-13 at 5.04.10 PMAsked what the moral difference is between what Dr. Kermit Gosnell did to babies born alive and aborting those same infants moments before birth, Pelosi refused to answer.

“As a practicing and respectful Catholic, this is sacred ground to me when we talk about this,” Pelosi said. “I don’t think it should have anything to do with politics.”

Of course, Pelosi’s words are incoherent at best and offensive any way you choose to take them.

Pelosi, the top Democrat in the U.S. House of Representatives, thinks her faith shouldn’t have anything to do with politics.

Okay, so what. We already knew that about her.

But what particularly struck me during this latest Pelosi Abortion Outrage™ was this realization:

If not her faith, what does she think should inform her opinion on abortion? Medecine? Science? Biology? Embryology? Fetal pain research? The Natural Law? What?!

This is a question the press never demands to know, and it’s time for the press (and us) to start demanding it.

Pelosi, like so many dissenting Catholics, has chosen to ignore the faith’s teaching on respect for life, especially unborn human life.

What this has really allowed her and others to do, is also ignore what medicine, biology, embryology, medecine, science, natural reason and the whole array of human knowledge, experience and consensus can tell us about abortion.

If you watch the whole exchange (and I encourage you to watch it below) you can hear the other members of the press in the gallery laugh when Pelosi responds to McCormack’s question by saying “You’re probably enjoying that question a lot, I can see you savoring it.”

For Pelosi, McCormack asking her a question about the morality of killing unborn vs. born infants of the same age is laughable.

And apparently, it’s a joke the press is in on.

Well, I’m not laughing.

If Pelosi is basically a dunce when it comes to the Church’s social teaching, what other expertise can she call upon to accredit her efforts to legislate and argue against protections for the unborn?

This is not an arcane or theoretical question I’m posing (and the press should pose to her) — there is a bill set to be voted on in the House of Representatives next week which would create a federal ban on abortions after 20-weeks nationwide, because the evidence shows that unborn babies killed after 20 weeks experience pain (CatholicVote supports the ban).

Does Pelosi have even a basic understanding of the issues addressed by this bill?

Looking at the same transcript of her back-and-forth with McCormack, it would appear she does not:

PELOSI: This is not the issue. They are saying that there’s no abortion. It would make it a federal law that there would be no abortion in our country. You’re taking the extreme case. You’re taking the extreme case. And what I’m saying to you what happened in Philadelphia was reprehensible. And I do not think you.

TWS: [Inaudible]

PELOSI: I’m not going to have this conversation with you because you obviously have an agenda. You’re not interested in having an answer.

In fact, the bill would not create a federal law against all abortions — it would simply outlaw abortions after 20-weeks, much like the partial-birth abortion ban prevented that particularly heinous form of abortion.

If we lived in an age where the media was not totally in the tank for abortion and did not have a vested interest in shielding Pelosi from every awkward question and embarrassing situation, the story that would come out of this exchange is not only that Pelosi totally ignores the teaching of her own church, but that she opposes that teaching while simultaneously possessing zero knowledge or expertise beyond her own misguided opinions on the issue.

I care greatly about the need for Pelosi to be made aware of her ignorance and abuse of her Catholic faith in the public square.

But I also care greatly about the plight of the unborn and so, while I don’t expect the media to do our job of calling Pelosi out for her ignorance of Catholic teaching, I do call upon the media to do its job and ask Pelosi to her face the basic questions about key debates like abortions after 20-weeks that they should be asking everyone, Catholic or not.

Here is video of Pelosi’s exchange with McCormack:

39 thoughts on “Why We Can’t Let the Media Give Pelosi’s Latest Abortion Outrage™ a Pass [Video]

1. Mary says:

The media has shown itself to be hostile and dismissive toward Catholicism so expect nothing from them. It is the Bishops who must act. And they must do so to clear these murky waters for the Catholic Faithful who have been getting mixed messages on abortion for too long. It should be swift and unequivocal. Unfortunately, I have no hope this will happen. As long as “Catholic” politicians publicly profess their support for abortion, including their support of public financing, and continue to receive Communion, we will see this evil thrive. Cafeteria Catholics will continue to proliferate and create their own brand of Catholicism as they wish. The silence of the Bishops enables, pure and simple.

2. Julie T. says:

Nancy Pelosi’s comments never fail to shock. What troubles me even more is the Democrats have made no secret of their determination to gain control of the House of Representatives in next year’s mid-term elections and return her to the role of Speaker. Before meeting with China’s new leader last week, the president made three fundraising stops: two here in northern California and a third in Santa Monica. This weekend, Joe Biden is here for the same purpose. Oh, and we had the “Nuns on the Bus” in the area, too. These wealthy “progressives” have very deep pockets. Pray and remember next year’s elections will matter very much. Pray Nancy Pelosi and her party are denied their ambition.

3. Cheryl says:

First she makes a claim that what was done in Philly was reprehensible, and EVERYBODY condemned it. But, apparently Nancy is not part of the EVERBODY….. because she then makes the claim that what is reprehensible is everyone’s disrespecting a woman’s decision to kill her own child. Seems she was answering the reporter’s question in a round-about-way (in a ‘Nancy-way’) – and she truly DOES NOT SEE a moral difference between the killing of an unborn vs. a born infant of the same age.

1. Cheryl says:

Neither being wrong or immoral in her book. The only wrong is NOT letting a woman make the choice to kill her child – whetehr in utero or out. If the woman decides she does not want to stay a mother – that is her moral choice according to the ‘Nancy-way.’

4. John Fiarkoski says:

Every priest, bishop and cardinal need to take action ( be willing to go to jail) if necessary to turn those Catholics thinking around.

5. William says:

People like Pelosi use the term Catholic for themselves because it unfortunately gives them votes from other Catholics who are against Church teaching. You are not a Catholic just because you say you are.

1. Ken says:

I agree, William. In my opinion, you need to earn the right to call yourself Catholic.

Thomas, I am tired of hearing her saying things like, “As a practicing and respectful Catholic…” Can this article somehow be sent directly to her Bishop?

1. Michael says:

So, being baptized into the Catholic Faith by one’s parents is meaningless? Making ones’ First Communion and going through Confirmation is meaningless? Attending Mass every week is meaningless? Reciting, believing, and accepting on faith the Apostle’s Creed is meaningless? Praying the Lord’s Prayer, the Hail Mary, and the Act of Contrition is meaningless? Praying the Rosary is meaningless? Asking the Saints for their intercession is meaningless?Oh, I see. What REALLY matters, in fact, the ONLY thing that matters is that one is a Conservative Republican. Now THAT is what truly makes one a Catholic. Got it! Thanks for the info!

1. Slats says:

Ken, I understand part of the point you’re making, on two levels – 1) the importance of the sacraments to Catholic identity, and 2) that being a conservative Republican and being a Catholic American are not necessarily identical.

However, your comments don’t follow in a case like Pelosi’s. She viciously opposes the Church on what is probably the foundational question of love of neighbor, which is not to murder the innocent. If she’s faithful to all of the other practices you cited, they are blasphemous – she is mocking God with the gross cognitive dissonance (and I say that only recognizing the grave matter – God is the Judge of how culpable she is in that). It’s on much the same level of moral/religious hypocrisy as the climactic scene of The Godfather. That’s how outrageous it is. To say that she is not in communion with the Church in heart and mind is an understatement so staggering that it boggles the imagination, and the Church needs to address this situation discipline-wise to alleviate the uproarious scandal to the faithful that nothing has been done so far.

1. Slats says:

Sorry, that was Michael’s comment I was responding to.

2. Ken says:

Thanks, Slats. Michael, if you were replying to me: You read way more into my comment than I intended. There was absolutely no political motivation behind my comment. I don’t care what party someone belongs to. She has a prominent role in a decision that will affect over 300 million people. If she were just an individual exercising her right to her opinion, it would be none of my business, but she is a public servant, which makes it my business, and the business of every American, Catholic or not. Someone in a position of power and influence, such as hers, needs to be knowledgeable and responsible when citing the Catholic faith, no matter their political leanings. She is a public figure, and can lead many, many Catholics astray, who are weak in faith or doctrinally ignorant, by her flawed statements. When her misleading remarks have this much impact on so many people, her Bishop needs to set the record straight with a public reprimand, denial of sacraments, or whatever he deems appropriate.

2. Antonio A. Badilla says:

Yes Michael, all of the above is meaningless when one believes in the opposite of what the Church teaches and causes scandal by stating it publicly as Pelosi has done several times. Don’t try to make this into a Republican issue because it has NOTHING to do with it. If tomorrow a person does all the things you listed but he or she is a Democrat, that won´t work either.

6. Maria Burmaster says:

It may be simplistic, but I just feel SAD when I read about Catholic women who have abandoned their faith in general and the unborn babies in particular. No words.