Words of wisdom from President Obama?

President Obama has opted to participate in the “It Gets Better” campaign, where high-level celebrities record short videos for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transexual teenagers telling them that whatever discrimination they face now, “it will get better”.

What “universal principle” does the President employ to communicate his message of tolerance and acceptance? See for yourself:

“Each of us deserves the freedom to pursue our own version of happiness.”

If ever there was a mantra of radical relativism, this would have to be it. This is untethered, false freedom taken to its logical limit. Does the rapist have the “freedom” to pursue his happiness if he decides it involves molesting others? Does the murderer deserve the freedom to pursue a personal version of happiness that includes senselessly murdering innocent people? Seriously?

In the video that the President recorded on this topic, he repeats verbatim the same message about “each of us deserves the freedom to pursue our own version of happiness” and expands it “[each of us deserves the freedom] to speak our minds, to not fit in, most of all, to be true to ourselves. That’s the freedom that enriches all of us. That’s what America is all about.”

We have a President who is an expert in expressing … pablum.

80 thoughts on “Words of wisdom from President Obama?

1. david says:

No, being a homosexual is not a sin, but sodomy is a mortal sin. It is pretty clear, and it will always be that clear. It does not matter if homosexual lifestyles are genetic or not, for other disorders are certainly genetic (such as addiction) but do not force a person to engage in such sinful behavior. Homosexuals are not defined by their disorder or by sodomy. They are children of God called to the follow the same rules as everyone else…hetero and homosexual. Chastity…no sex outside marriage. Marriage…one man and one woman for life. Won’t abide by those? Celibacy is the only other choice. That is life and those are the rules. Break them, and you’re on your own with the dire consequences. Just remember, you can always come home again…but you have to live by the rules.

1. Irishtroubadour says:

You say it so straitforward and agree. Thanks!

2. Jon says:

Considering Thomas has not replied to any of the comments thus far, I am assuming (and agree) that it is not worth his time. However, in the off chance he hasn’t responded because of lack of time, I am going to weigh in on a few things…

1)This post is not about Obama’s stance on homosexuality, or anyone’s for that matter. This post has nothing to do with the topic of homosexuality. The first paragraph is merely a point of reference…the when, where and why background details of the PHILOSOPHICAL CLAIM the President made. Some of you would call this providing the reader “context.” The title and tags Thomas has applied to the post evidence this point, let alone the rest of the entire post itself.

2)Consequently, Thomas is not equating homosexuality with rape and murder. Anyone who tries to argue otherwise is either obfuscating the point or has no intellectual grasp of the use of analogy.

3)Thus far, no one has actually addressed the issue at hand: what are the implications of a political philosophy that claims the individual has the “freedom to pursue his/her own version of happiness?”

I challenge future commentors to address this question, rather than get caught up in the inconsequential details surrounding the comment itself.

1. Francis says:

“Inconsequential details” says it all. That’s just it – this is not inconsequential at all.

3. Upset Catholic says:

Luke 17:2 “It would be better to be thrown into the sea with a millstone hung around your neck than to cause one of these little ones to fall into sin.” I dare anyone to defend bullying as acceptable after it has caused 6 LGBT youth to end their lives. I dare you. Do it.

1. Irishtroubadour says:

Let’s not forget that there are many more youth besides LGBT who have committed suicide becuase of bullying. Let’s not forget them either. And I don’t think anyone out there would defend bullying under any circumstance. Whether it be at home, school, or abroad, bullying is simply not acceptable. But let us not forget those who are the bullies. What can we do to help them change their out look on why they seem to take out thier anger and frustration on others. They also need our help and prayers.

1. Francis says:

Let’s not forget, either, that gay teens are at much higher risk for suicide than other demographics.

1. Francis says:

I see that someone hit the “dislike” button on my post. That’s funny, because I dislike that statistic as well, but it is true. Gay teens are at a much higher risk for suicide. Don’t you think that information alone should be enough to cause some compassion or encouragement for that particular group?

1. Mark says:

According to statistics run in the UK, homosexuals are 200 times as likely to commit suicide, which blows away this bullying charade, as the UK has some of the most liberal homosexual laws on the books. The rate is similar in the Netherlands as well, which is even more homosexual-friendly. Bullying is not killing homosexuals. Unbridled homosexual activity and license is killing homosexuals.

2. Irishtroubadour says:

Compassion for them yes, and encouragement to see why that group is so at a high risk. Though I would not encourage that particular lifestyle. Why, becuase studies show that those who live that lifestyle have a higher percent/risk of suicide. So how do you change that risk, change lifestyles and/or get help in changing it.

HERE ARE SOME LINKS FOR THOSE SEARCHING FOR HELP IN OVERCOMING HOMOSEXUALITY: 1. http://www.couragerc.net/ and 2. http://www.soencouragement.org/homosexuallifestyle.htm 3.http://www.narth.com/docs/study.html 4. http://www.peoplecancahnge.com 5. http://www.peoplecanchange.com/stories/floyd.php

4. Mark says:

Well, the Church has spoken correctly and at length on the issue of homosexual behavior. Like all sins involving adultery, it is serious. But like those with other sexual disorders, it is clear that homosexuals have a heavy cross to bear. Pedophiles and other sexual addicts do as well. We must always love people with disordered sexual desires, as a large number of people have them, but we do not and should not love their disorders. We do not love pedophilia, but we love the men and women who suffer from it. We do not love homosexuality, but we love the men and women who suffer from it. What makes many frustrated in the Church and in the world, is when disorders are celebrated and claimed to be normal. It is a lie, and it is a tragic lie because it destroys the one’s who suffer from such disorders. We owe ourselves and them the truth. It is not okay, and the only way we can be redeemed is by the blood of Jesus Christ. I deserve death for my sins, which include sexual ones. But Jesus has taken on that punishment, and in Him I seek refuge. I am a sinner no worse than any practicing homosexual, but I recognize it. I pray that they do as well, and come to Christ as I cling to Him.

1. Leigh says:

I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo sick of you (and others) equating homosexuality to pedophilia. It is two totally and completely seperate things. One is vile and takes advantage of a CHILD the other is two consenting people. It is like me saying that people that use the rythym method to not have children are also abortionists….It disgusts me that you do not see the difference. It really says so much about your thought process…as in, you really shouldn’t be thinking at all. The difference between someone getting bullied because of size, race, shape nationality and religion and being bullied because you are gay is that a small person isnt told they are evil. A fat person isn’t told they are the same as a child molester. An Indian person is not told that they are so disordered that they cannot have the same right to a full life as an American. A catholic is not told that based only on his religion he can no longer serve in the military. I hope you see the difference….it is very simple. If you cant than you are really in need of some help and may also need to check the brain cell count. I am so disgusted I can barely type this. Thomas….I hope you are very happy that your so-called “article” (of hate) as spawned such a great dialog. Again….you should be ashamed of the way you presented this article…If I were your Mother…even though you are an adult….You would be sitting behind your little computer writing an apology letter to all of the parents that have lost a son or a daughter to bullying. I actually think Thomas…that you are the biggest bully of all. I am old enough to know that God has an awesome sense of humour…..I am almost certain that you will be on the recieving end of some irony at some point in your life…hopefully sooner than later.

1. Mark says:

Leigh, humans who suffer from sexual disorders such as homosexuality and pedophilia are to be loved equally, but their sinful acts are to be hated equally as well. Are they the same acts? No. Are they equally sinful and destructive Yes. This is not hatred, for I do not hate nor advocate the hatred of anyone who suffers from the cross of sexual disorders (myself included). I am sorry you cannot see it that way, but that is the truth. The sexual acts of homosexuality and pedophilia are also to be hated equally as much as sex outside of marriage as well, and any other perverse form of fornication. The truth is clear, and God’s wisdom far surpasses man’s in this regard. Sexual activity is to be reserved only between a husband and a wife within the bonds of marriage. Outside of that, it is strictly and properly forbidden, and is sinful. There is no compromise on this issue, and there never will be. There is no hatred either. Just truth, and the truth is Jesus Christ. Do you hate the truth?

2. Annette says:

This is very well put, Mark! An excellent treatise on the disorder of homosexuality and how best to treat those who suffer from it. The examples of other addictions and disorders, such as drug addiction and pedophila are spot-on. WELL DONE!

1. Leigh says:

HOW is homosexuality as destructive as pedophilia? If you really believe this that is just absolutley sick and completely twisted. I wonder if ya’ll realize that there are so so many gay couples out there with really really really great lives. Nothing destructive or demented about it…..I realize that you will probably never agree with homosexuality on a religious level…..But at some point you will have to abide by the legal laws put forth that grant equal rights for all people…even the gays…urrrgh!

1. Mark says:

STD/AIDS rates 100 times that of the normal population, higher rates of drug and sexual abuse, higher incidents of domestic violence, greater infidelity, increased prevalence of mental illness, and exponentially greater rates of suicide….yes, that really sounds like a wonderful lifestyle choice. Outside of fantasy land, were the truth abounds, we know better. Loving homosexuals means helping them rise above their disorder and change or embrace celibacy. Hatred of homosexuals means allowing them to continue to destroy themselves physically, mentally, and spiritually.

1. Leigh says:

That is all such BUNK and you know it……I will agree with the greater rates of suicides (and I can tell you why that is AGAIN but of course you will not agree so whats the point really) Higher incidents of domestic violence? Hogwash…and you know it. Greater infedelity…..wonder if that would be the case if they could actually get married??? I run in a large crowd of a mixed bag of people and I can tell you infedelity is a major issue in the “regular” married crowd. Also there is NO way of backing up these things with any proof. So just say it enough times to all the sheep around you and they will believe it. It is absolutley rediculous….I was reminded in an earlier article from today about Christine Odonnel (dont get me started) about the catholic churches view on masterbation too…..Im wondering what statistics you can come up with concerning that???? If masterbation takes you out of the good graces of God….were all in alot of trouble!! Can you please give me a list of those things that will keep me out of heaven….I will start it for you…. No gays or lesbians
            No masterbaters
            Noone who votes for someone who is pro-choice
            Noone that is raped or molested that decides
            to terminate her pregnancy
            None who supports a loving same sex relationship

Please keep the list going….im not doing very well.

2. Mark says:

Hello Leigh. I disagree that the results from these studies are bogus. There is strong support and reason to believe in their authenticity and accuracy. As far as the final part of your reply, we are all saved (sinners that we all are) only by the Blood of Christ. We are all called to deny ourselves (whether we wish to fornicate, retaliate, disbelieve, distrust, or act in any other sinful manner) and take up our crosses and follow Him. For me, that means denying incredibly strong urges to sin (sexual sins included) in order to live in Christ. This may seem foolish to some, but for Christians this has meant our redemption, it has literally saved our lives from ruin and destruction (both here and eternally). It is an everyday battle that cannot be won without the grace of God. For homosexuals who engage in sinful behavior, they are just like me. They are sinners in dire need of redemption. I am worse than any practicing homosexual, if their only sin is that behavior. I am far worse. And yet, I trust in Jesus to save me and I do my best to follow His commands as given by the Holy Spirit through His Church. Are there things that will keep me out of heaven? Yes, of course. Failing to love Him and to love my neighbor. I know, and will affirm even under penalty of death, that loving my neighbor means always directing them towards the truth, who is Jesus Christ. If I fall to give them the truth, I have failed to love them. Truth in sexuality, truth in relationships, truth in work, truth in rest, and truth in all things. I realize that we all cannot do it ourselves…that is live the truth…homosexuals included. We ALL need grace to work with us. [Sexually active]homosexuals and worse people such as myself, need God in order to rise above our disorders and afflictions and live the life that He gave us in His own image. Homosexual behavior, abortion, murder, and other sins are NOT in His image, and are the destructive results of our own fallen nature. We need God, and we need to follow the truths and teachings He has given us. ONLY those teachings will bring true happiness and eternal life. Love Him, love our neighbor. Love means giving and living the truth.

5. Greg Smith says:

Tom:

The Catholic conservative blogesphere’s taking quotes out of context is one of the contributors to the lack of civility in these discussions. President Obama was in actuality paraphrasing another president who wrote that all of us are “Endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable a rights and among these are life liberty and *the pursuit of happiness.”

You and others may argue that Jefferson’s statement in the preamble to the Declaration of Independence goes against the teachings of our Church. You may be correct that, here, we find a conflict between Americanism and Catholicism. However none of us .. well almost none of us … want to live in a theocracy, even it is the theocracy of our own particular faith. I read frequently, and do my best to live, what is found in The Catechism of the Catholic Church. However it isn’t the Constitution of the United States.

PS: Do you have children? Are they perhaps homosexual? Even if they aren’t, shouldn’t our society do something if they are the target of bullying because someone (miss)perceives they are? What does the CCC say about such things (hint: Section 2358) What would the Holy Father say to the parents of the six or so children who recently committed suicide after being on the receiving end of homophobic bullying? Has your bishop made a statement? Has any (I don’t think mine (San Francisco) has. Maybe it’s good then that the secular president has.

1. Irishtroubadour says:

Greg,
      To cite section 2358 of the Catechism says: ” The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.”

Continuing on:
      2359: ” Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at time by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.”

Many people will say how can they not call Homosexuality Christian perfection, becuase those acts of homosexualty are as, sacred scripture says, are acts of grave depravity. If you look at Romans 1:24-27, the verse before says they turned away from God, worshipping images instead, and God, from the Greek to English translation “gave
      them up unto vile affections”. If you look at the greek in those verses, the actual translations uses “were-out-burned” and “craving” those of the same sex. Women gave up men and men gave up women, craving those and lusting after those of the same-sex. (By the way, many people will try to throw these verses out as wrongly translated) but no matter how they try, scripture is scripture. Other scriptures uses the story of Sodom and Gemorrah (wonder where they picked those diseases up from) and thought, not as technical 1 Cor. 6:10 and 1 Tim 1:10.

Also notice how Obama will never uses the word Creator, even though he pulled it from another president.

1. Greg Smith says:

Jefferson, a Unitarian deliberately used the word creator because it was not God, Allah or Yahweh. None of the other CCC sections you quote absolve us from our duty to protect youth from bullying for appearing gay or any other reason. Homophobia is a funny kind of prejudice
        My wife and daughter have walked around holding hands since she was little.
        Maybe they still do. My wife is the type who worries that a 37 year old Catholic school teacher might run out into traffic. About 15 years ago they were walking home in the evening hours when a car w/ 3 young men in it slowed and they yelled “dirty dykes.” They circled the block and yelled it again, then, just as they got to our door the car started backing up. My wife breathlessly told me the story and I said “Call 911″ and started upstairs thinking which gun I should grab from the locker. Then our 60 lb. all-muscle, no-fat Sheppard – wolf mix came down and barked in a way he only did if he smelled danger. I realized then “I don’t need a gun. If they come to the door God help them if I open it.” Fortunately the punks gave up and drove off. Yes, homophobia is a threat to all of us.

2. Mark says:

Suicide rates among homosexuals are as high, and in some cases higher, in liberal nations and states with bullying laws and legalized homosexual “marriage”. Homosexuals do not kill themselves because of bullying. Overwhelmingly they kill themselves because of their disorder. And that is the tragedy here. Bullying is simply a distraction from the truth, and that is that homosexuals need love and care, not license to destroy their physical and mental health as well as their very lives.

1. leigh says:

There are no statistics that I can find that examine “gay” teen suicides. There are however stats on teen suicides so Im not sure how you know your information. Please let me know where to find such information. Thanks

1. Mark says:

in the Netherlands means that psychiatric disease cannot be attributed to social rejection and homophobia. The Dutch study, published in the Archives of General Psychiatry, did indeed find a high rate of psychiatric disease associated with same-sex sex behaviors. Compared to controls who had no homosexual experience in the 12 months prior to the interview, males who had any homosexual contact within that time period were much more likely to experience major depression, bipolar disorder, panic disorder, agoraphobia and obsessive compulsive disorder. Females with any homosexual contact within the previous 12 months were more often diagnosed with major depression, social phobia or alcohol dependence. In fact, those with a history of homosexual contact had higher prevalence of nearly all psychiatric disorders measured in the study. Also, a recent study in the American Journal of Public Health has shown that 39% of males with same-sex attraction have been abused by other males with
          same-sex attraction.

2. Francis says:

Your information regarding homosexuals and suicide notwithstanding, recent events in the U.S. have involved suicide by gay teens who were bullied. In at least one case, the teen was only “perceived” to be gay. Good grief, some of them were only 13! Would it be best for Pres. Obama to remain silent, like our bishops, or to give a statement of encouragement?

1. Mark says:

Not sure if my post went through, so here it is again. Two extensive studies appearing in the October 1999 issue of the American Medical Association’s Archives of General Psychiatry confirm a strong link between homosexual sex and suicide, as well as a relationship between homosexuality and emotional and mental problems. The youth suffering from these disorders were four times as likely as their peers to suffer from major depression, almost three times as likely to suffer from generalized anxiety disorder, nearly four times as likely to experience conduct disorder, five times as likely to have nicotine dependence, six times as likely to suffer from multiple disorders, and over six times as likely to have attempted suicide. An extensive study in the Netherlands undermines the assumption that homophobia is the cause of increased psychiatric illness among gays and lesbians. The Dutch have been considerably more accepting of same-sex relationships than other Western countries — in fact, same-sex couples now have the legal right to marry in the Netherlands. So a high rate of psychiatric disorders associated with homosexual behavior
          same-sex attraction.

6. Upset Catholic says:

I am quite upset and disgusted that you have equated the President’s message to struggling LGBT youth to rape and murder. We have seen the tragic results of bullying, of what happens when young people are harassed to the point of death because of a part of them they cannot control. No one should condone the deaths of these students. Death in any case is tragic, and we must all pray that our loving Lord, the same Lord who was bullied by the mobs and the Romans, will embrace His children and that they will know the true love He offers to his sheep.

As much as you may disagree with Barack Obama (I’m a frequent reader of this blog, and a blind man could see you don’t like him) the fact that you believe this President would condone and support rape and murder is sickening. He’s not stupid. He believes in law and order. He has two daughters. Why would any human condone rape and murder as personal freedom?

Being gay is NOT a sin. The Church teaches that. Being gay should never be reason for anyone to kill themselves. It should never be a reason to be bullied.

Now, I know some members of the blog community will obviously disagree with me, so here’s the other half of this rant:

1. I am a Republican and disagree with many of Obama’s poliices.
    2. Yes, I go to Church every Sunday, am active in my college Knights of Columbus/Newman Center. I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and that it is His Body and Blood that I receive in the Eucharist at Mass.
    3. I believe in traditional marriage, but support civil unions.
    4. I know being gay is NOT a choice, because I am gay. I did not chose to be gay (I mean think about it, why would anyone chose that in today’s society?) To be told that my sexual attraction (again, something I didn’t chose nor have control over) can be comparable to rape and murder?

Thomas Peters, I am disgusted that you even made that comparison. You are a smart individual, and I know because of other blog posts of yours that I’ve read. It’s posts and claims like the one you made here that drive home the wrong message to LGBT youth: that being gay is wrong and that it’s as bad as crimes we already know to be morally wrong.

Thomas, if you haven’t met a gay American before, please do. Speak with them. We’re actually quite normal. I don’t lisp or do the dead fish hand. I go to Mass. I’m in college. Being gay doesn’t define me. All these other things do first. But Thomas, please, pray that God opens your heart to being more tolearnt of those who are different than you. We can disagree about gay marriage all we want, but we can still respect each other, and we can pray for and work for an end to the bullying that has ended far too many young lives. Please, let us all ask the Lord for the strength to work to end the bullying.

1. Irishtroubadour says:

Upset Catholic,
      Thank You for your words and thoughts. I do truly mean it. If you don’t mind, could you clarify a few things for me. 1. You do state that Being Gay is not a sin. The Church teaches that Homosexuality is not a sin, but acting on those Homosexual inclinations (which those who call themselves gay are, possibly wrong on this so I’ll say that now, but being gay and being a homosexual are two different things. I know a few people who struggle with homosexuality who would be very offended if they were called gay, so just your thoughts on that.) 2. I have very tough time understanding how you can say ” I didn’t choose to be gay” or “why would anyone chose that in today’s society ?”. I mean, you do have choice in acting out on your desires, and lets be honest, our society is totally open and accepting to the Gay community. So when you say I didn’t choose to be gay, I ask that you think back to when you started to have “feelings” towards those of the same-sex and think of how and why you reacted in such a way. I hope this does not come across as mean or insulting, becuase it is in true sincerity and christian charity. In no way is this meant to be “Catholic Bullying” but honesty, in asking these questions. I agree bullying, in any way, home, office, school, to those who are LGBT or the many others who are not LGBT. There are many youth out their who get picked on for thier size, shape, race, nationality and religion. And anything such as bullying or hazing is unexceptable. Again, thank you for your words in your former post.

1. Upset Catholic says:

But getting back to the main crux of the argument here, I didn’t come out in high school for fear of being bullied. Because it does happen. I didn’t come out in high school because yes, there is social stigma attached that people don’t know about. College is generally more accepting, but society as a whole still has a ways to go. As to your question about being v homosexual, I’ve never heard about the difference, so I’ll pass on that question at this time. This is a good way to educate people about the reality of being gay. I’m no different than you. The only difference is what gives me sexual arousal. Again, we must ask the LORD to help us end bullying in all forms and bring love to all of God’s people.

2. Leigh says:

Upset….There are MANY of us out here that agree with what you are saying here….I will pray too!

3. Kathleen says:

“Why would any human condone rape and murder as personal freedom?” Abortion does just that, does it not? It is the belief that I, as a woman, have the personal right to kill the child in my womb if I so choose. And yes, this President, does his best to encourage this “personal freedom.” Yes we do have freedom, our good Lord has given us free will. It is how we use this will that determines our eternal happiness. Each one of us have our crosses, some crosses are more visible than others. In bearing our cross, we become closer to Jesus’ Most Sacred Heart.