Catholics Speak Out About Their Homosexuality

If you haven’t yet, check out “The Third Way” video from Blackstone Films. It is worth spending each of the 38 minutes it takes to watch it.

The Third Way from Blackstone Films on Vimeo.

I just showed it to my class at Benedictine College, and it does several things very well:

First, it helps Catholics stop thinking of same-sex attracted people as somehow not really what they say they are.

It seems that for one part of the culture, the Church’s teaching (CCC 2357) that  homosexual sexual acts are “intrinsically disordered” and “contrary to the natural law” is unthinkable. For another the church’s teaching a few sentences later is unthinkable:

“The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God’s will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord’s Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.”

The film does a good job of showing that both are absolutely true.

Second, the video also helps clarify that homosexuals are not alone in their struggle with chastity. The debates about homosexual marriage make it seem as if it is unjust for the Church to teach that some sexual acts are immoral, because it dooms homosexual people to a life without sex. Well, by the morality of the Bible and the Church and most other religions, single people are just as doomed. They also have sexual feelings that they cannot act on.

The video helps get that point across, too.

But mostly, it inspires compassion and understanding for a group of people who have a very hard time finding either: homosexual Catholics who want to be chaste. Secular homosexuals think they should just “get over” their Catholicism. Catholics often think they should just “get over” their gayness.

Watch the video and learn that they cannot easily do either.

Categories:Culture Video

96 thoughts on “Catholics Speak Out About Their Homosexuality

1. Marty says:

Julie, I like your post the best because it means that we must have real strength to live this life. It is not about pleasure at all costs even it it hurts others. Our society is based on self gratification and selfishness, not real love and self control.

2. Belinda Roccaforte says:

This is a most beautiful film and I plan for my two sons to see it and will spread on Facebook. I just wanted to tell the people brave enough to be in this film that we love them. Praise Jesus Christ and His Church. We have much reparation to make.

3. John says:

Does this mean that if you have any tendencies that its acceptable. I think gay people should just accept that they are sinners and have a weakness in their lives that God may forgive if they were respectful enough not to brazenly demand that they should be acceptable.

1. rick says:

So is heterosexual sex a sin?
      The third way is another whitewash lie, like bipolarity, a half way place of acceptance because of FEAR. When you walk in LOVE, you know who you are,… you are LOVE( one in communion with God). Your sexuality is an outward expression of the love in your heart. Straight or Gay.
      Sex outside of LOVE( not marriage) is a disbelief in yourself. Disbelieving in yourself and who you are in LOVE, is the sin. Christ told Mary Magdeline, to go and sin no more. He didn’t say, stop having sex. He said stop disbelieving in yourself, in LOVE.
      When you find yourself in LOVE, you become one with God. Connected to your spirit within you and communicate LOVE to others. Put down your Bible and pick up your heart. Listen to the voice of LOVE.

4. Eileen says:

We have a lesbian family member who recently married and we’ve chosen to protect our young children from the realities of this behavior. Young children are vulnerable. My older children are aware of the love the homosexual needs to be shown but choose not to engage in this activity. It is the young person who is at risk. Right now in my county they are trying to promote homosexuality in the public middle schools. Notice how much of these feelings occurred at a young age.

1. Stephen says:

So you’re teaching your children to be ashamed of this family member? If I were she I would cut all ties with you.

5. Jen S says:

Julie. I am not traumatized because of my parents divorce. All of us are happy now. Staying together in a bad relationship does not help anyone. Especially not the family. Please don’t make assumptions about people. You might not know what their reasoning is for what they do. It’s probably better than you think.

1. Thomas says:

Jen S, I think Julie was referring to divorces in which the parties want to separate simply because they are not “in love” anymore, not because of an abusive relationship.

2. Susie says:

I took Julie’s meaning to be that she herself isn’t going to break her vow to her invalid husband (which many people in her position do) and try to find someone else would could fulfill her sexually. That would be selfish and cruel. She is truly happy being faithful.

6. Julie Durdens says:

I am not gay but also live in a state of life where sex is forbidden… My husband has been an invalid for many years. This has brought hardships to us in so many ways I cannot explain them all here. But marriage is for life . It is society which is disordered, not the Church! We are all made to believe that we are to have “sexual and personal fulfillment ” so we may be “happy”. Really? Let me tell you what happiness is NOT… It is not having affairs and only being “happy” during those brief times . It is NOT traumatizing your kids and spouse by divorcing so you can be “happy”. I have more happiness now through living a celibate married life and giving love to others in ways that please God! Guess what? It is not about ourselves!! Get over it!!!