Gay Marriage…Coming Soon to a (Democratic) Party Platform Near You!!!

In case you need the reminder, today’s Democratic Party is not your grandfather’s Democratic Party.

To wit, it seems that support for gay “marriage” is about to debut as a plank in the Democratic Party platform this fall. Byron York has the story over at the Washington Examiner:

On Monday, Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass., told the Washington Blade that the Democratic Party’s 15-member platform drafting committee has approved a plank supporting gay marriage for the party’s upcoming convention. “There was a unanimous decision in the drafting committee to include it in the platform,” Frank told the gay newspaper.

The committee made its the decision at a weekend meeting in Minneapolis. Before the unanimous vote, members heard testimony from several witnesses who urged the party to adopt the pro-gay-marriage plank. According to a party source, there were no witnesses who testified in opposition to making gay marriage part of the party platform.

This is what the Democratic Party, at least at the level of national leadership, wants to spend political capital on? And they call social-conservatives “culture warriors!”

Stephen P. White is a fellow in Catholic Studies at the Ethics and Public Policy Center in Washington, DC and coordinator of the Tertio Millennio Seminar on the Free Society. The views expressed here are his own.

Categories:Feature Recommended Uncategorized

55 thoughts on “Gay Marriage…Coming Soon to a (Democratic) Party Platform Near You!!!

1. Antonio A. Badilla says:

Well Francine, with all due respect for your grandmother’s age, she is in the wrong party but she can always move into the right party that now wants to support the indefensible in their platform, the Democratic Party. Now practicing Catholics have one more reason not to vote for anyone in the Democratic Party. By the way, I don’t think the Dems are diabolical or haters, I think they are just wrong in their positions.
    “She’ll go off on the haters when she sees them on TV.”
    So, anyone who does not support gay marriage is a hater? Well, Francine, the Pope and the bishops and practicing Catholics do not support gay marriage; are they all haters?
    Isn’t it easy to label people with whom one disagrees “haters” because, after all, such a label, effectively ends any dialogue or conversation on just about any matter? To pro-choicers, for example, we, pro-lifers, are “anti-women.” Not that we want to protect the life of the unborn, but we are evil people who hate women. That is the language of the Left and of intolerable people who are hypocritical because they claim to be open-minded and tolerant, yet label anyone with whom they disagree “haters.”
    And David, I got news for you, gays already have equal rights in this country. Wanting to sacramentalize a union God considers sinful, is NOT part of equal rights. Rejecting people simply because of their sexual orientation is indeed sinful.

1. joey says:

How exactly do gay people already have equal rights when, in most states, someone can be fired on the grounds of sexual orientation? Where is the equality is that?

1. David says:

Exactly. Minnesota denied drivers licenses to gay people, the government fired them and even used the postal service to uncover them, most states still allow you to fire someone because they are gay. But trust us, this is all about “marriage” not a clearly transparent desire of Americans to harm gay people that has been well documented.

2. Randall says:

Well, technically I guess someone could fire me for being straight, but why would they when it’s the state of normalcy? It would be like kicking someone out of the country club because they’re a member and have lots of money, or kicking someone off the baseball team because he can hit and catch.

1. joey says:

@Randall, You are deliberately attempting to twist my words. I identify as being gay. In Catholic doctrine, there is nothing wrong with that. If a company in a certain state saw that I was gay, they can fire me off the bat for their religious beliefs on gay people. Being gay has no impact on someones work ethic. Is it fair to fire someone for that?

1. Anon says:

Show us proof that any gay person has been fired in the U.S. for being gay.

2. Caryoki says:

Say isn’t that the same Barney Frank who facilitated or orchestrated the economic and financial collapse of ’07-’08 providing laser-like focus on the non-issue of gay marriage? Brilliant! There is nothing more important than implementing gay marriage in a country with tens of millions of under/unemployed, continuously expanding national debt, gutted military defense capabilities, the consequences of socialized medicine, etc. None of which is as important as gay marriage.

1. David says:

How much money did NYC make off gay marriage last year? $259 MILLION? That probably created a job or two. Why is it that Republicans are against this CLEAR creator of jobs?

1. Stephen White says:

David: the merits notwithstanding, this is my favorite argument for gay marriage…or at least the most original!

2. Sean says:

By all means, let’s support any sinful activity as long as it creates jobs.

1. Patrick says:

Sean, Sin isn’t a civil law concept. Many Muslims think its a sin for women to drive. Some Christians think masturbation is a sin. So what? Our laws aren’t based on weird religious beliefs.

3. Randall says:

LOL, David. That’s really the argument you’re going to use? Prostitution makes money and creates jobs. Drug smuggling makes money and creates jobs. They’re both disgusting and illegal too and not nearly as despicable as “gay marriage.” So we should further sell the soul of the nation and hasten its destruction for the sake of “job creation,” when we could just cut taxes for the rich (i.e. ****job creators****) instead and go to sleep with a clear conscience? Get real.

4. Anon says:

And Nevada makes more off prostitution. Great creator of jobs. Doesn’t make it right. You know what they say about ill-gotten gains.

3. Kerri says:

David says a majority of Americans support gay “marriage,” but every state in which it’s been put to a vote, it has failed… I think the number is 32 now.

1. David says:

Yes, and in every state where it’s been put to a vote, the opponents of equality have resorted to the “gays and scary, will molest your children, and destroy your life” in order to get it passed. I’d barely consider any of these contests a fair fight. (P.S. people also voted to deny black people equal rights too. It didn’t make it right then either).

1. JimK says:

Race is a genetic trait. Homosexuality is not. “Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” does mean gay marriage is a right. Gay marriage takes away the rights of children to have a mother and father.

1. Pat says:

JImk, your rights are not limited to being attendant to your genetic traits. Your religion is not genetic, in fact, its 100% your elective choice, and that’s protected…..

4. Francine says:

My 89 year old, lifelong republican, faithful grandmother supports the rights of gays and lesbians to get married. She’ll go off on the haters when she sees them on TV.

1. Gabriela says:

My 68 year old conservative mother does too…..because she’s been snookered by the ‘everyone deserves a chance to be happy’ and ‘whom does it hurt?’ sentiments abounding in public life now. I am astonished that she is able to put the lessons of self restraint and moral correctness that she instilled in me behind her in this matter. Please do not misunderstand me when I use the word ‘moral’. I am using it to refer to behaviour, NOT people. All of us are sinners in some fashion. But just because our senior citizen relatives support this ‘right’, doesn’t make it right.

1. David says:

You mean “snookered” by the Constitution that states that all citizens deserve “Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness”? or the part of the Constitution that says no state shall “deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the law”? Seems the founding fathers of our great nation were “snookered”. Why are you against American values?

1. Tom Crowe says:

Wait, wait, wait… David. Are you the same guy who claimed to be a lawyer in my recent post? Yet here you say that the “Life, liberty, and Pursuit of happiness” language is in the Constitution? … … … I would advise you to get a refund for your law degree.

1. joey says:

Tom, you tend to choose certain comments to reply to, such as David’s. That is fine. But you only responded to David’s post for an “error” or inaccuracy. You, however, did not post on Antonio A. Badilla’s post that read “I got news for you, gays already have equal rights in this country.” I’m not sure what kind of occupation you hold, but how exactly can you criticize David’s comment without criticizing Antonio’s? It is clear that gay people do not have equal rights because they can be fired in most states, on the sole basis of their sexual orientation.

2. Randall says:

LOL Tom! You’d think that with all the money he pours in to destroying America, George Soros could train his trolls a little better. Then again, if he allowed his minions to actually read and understand the documents of the Founding Fathers, they wouldn’t be following him in the first place…

2. Randall says:

Hmmm, lifelong Republican and “faithful” woman who supports sexual deviance? Doesn’t add up. Have you had her tested for age-related dementia? That is, assuming you’re not making her up.

3. Therese says:

She must ave been one or is got Alzheimers, poor lady!

5. William says:

I would certainly hope its not my grandfather’s party. In his lifetime it was acceptable to deny women the ability to vote, call African Americans Negros or worse, and place Japanese citizens in internment camps. I wouldn’t use early and mid twentieth century US politics as fodder for nostalgia.

1. Therese says:

William,
      I believe that some women should NOT have the right to vote…look at the idiocacy of journalistsbias reporting today! The meaning of Negroe is Negroid. White people are properly named Caucasians. As for Japanese Citizens war was going on. Did you eveer pass by Woodwardf Avernue in Detroit Michigan at Eight Mile Rd? The The Japanese Prisioners were located on the South East corner of the intersection and could be seen playing basket ball, enjoying the sunshine and visible to all who went by…could even walk to the fence and exchange smiles.There are some rotten eggs in eevery nationality but our President at the time PROTECTED THE USA! More than we can say now aboutthis so called Idiot president.
      I suggest you Start reading. You have no Logic that I can detect. We had a cohesive society in USA during WWII…so think twice aboiut your fodder!

1. William says:

Please refrain from ad hominem attacks by suggesting I should delve deeper into WWII literature and, I presume, attend lectures in cognitive reasoning. I assure you, as best I can on an internet forum, that I am well educated. I attended the same prep school as the author of this article as well as an additional six years at Jesuit universities, at which I received both BA and Master’s degrees.

However, that is not the crux of my issue with your response to my comment. The overwhelming majority of Japanese internment camps (located throughout California and the Southwest) weren’t quite as glamorous as you make Woodward Avenue sound. That being said, the camp you described sounds eerily similar to a minimum security prison. While I have no reason to doubt they could be seen playing basketball while outside in the sun, it’s highly unlikely they enjoyed being involuntarily imprisoned. What crime exactly did all Japanese Americans commit which would require them to be locked up? Surely you wouldn’t suggest detaining all current American citizens of Middle Eastern dissent in fear that people that look similar to them have committed a crime. Remember that often quoted phrase, “Those who are willing to forgo essential freedoms for temporary safety deserve neither freedom nor safety.”

Furthermore, if you insist that every epithet directed at minorities during the generations prior are valid and usable … well, you can go on and use them. However, don’t be surprised if they are met with anger and outrage.

The overarching point is that America does not have the same composition it did 50 or 100 years ago thus our culture must grow with the corresponding population. It should also be noted that minorities would completely disagree with your assumption that we had a cohesive society during WWII. Simply look up how many African Americans were lynched in the 30s and 40s. And while you’re doing that, check out the KKKs membership numbers during the same period.

6. David says:

Great news. It seems that equal rights for all Americans has finally become part of at least one party’s platform. I doubt they are really spending any political capital on it. Rather, they have come to realize that a majority of Americans now supports the freedom of gay and lesbians to marry the person of their own choosing. A vast majority of Democrats also supports this basic fundamental right. To not include this as part of their platform would have been much more damaging.

1. Mara says:

Great points David. Also, making gay rights a part of the platform may force Republicans to speak up or shut-up.

1. Sean says:

Speak up or shut up? Have you been listening? Republicans have been rather vocal about supporting traditional marriage. I’d say that it’s a very loud and principled stance in support of thousands of years of support of the fundamental underpinnings of society.

2. Sean says:

Well, not all Americans. They wouldn’t support the basic fundamental right for consenting adults to marry polygamously. And they probably would deny the fundamental right for cousins to marry as well. Bigots. Polygaphobes.

3. Lou says:

“the freedom of gay and lesbians(G&L) to marry the person of their own choosing”. Where is the freedom? This is a big lie. First let’s define “gay = is not a third sex; it’s a Man that lives on a sinfull state with another Man. That is it, you are a Man or a Woman nothing else. The G&L are envidouse people that want to see us sinning by accepting there behaviour. For example: if I comit a sin, I hate my sin because I know is destructive and takes my freedom away; so I try to correct my self so I can become a better MAN. I don’t ecpect you to accept my sin as something normal because you will be sinning too. So those of you knowing this, and voting for this democrate party might be sinning too.
      Note: gays and lesbian will CHOOSE not to understand this message.

4. Randall says:

You know, David and Mara have a lot in common: hatred of the Catholic Church, paid Soros trolls, advocates of abortion and the destruction of America, etc. I’d say that they should get together because they’d make a good couple… but seeing how strongly they both feel about gay “rights,” something tells me they wouldn’t really be interested in one another ;-)

1. joey says:

@Lou, gay people are not sinful in being gay. @Randall, they do not express hatred. You are the one expressing hatred in that insult. Who are you to say that they are destroying America?

5. Anon says:

NAMBLA supports homosexual pedophilia. I wonder if the Democrats support NAMBLA. Fifteen years ago, our newspaper did an extensive report on NAMBLA and it’s membership. Very prominent and powerful figures are members of this gay-rights organization. It is reported that Sandusky pimped-out his underage victims to wealthy donors- similar to what NAMBLA members do, according to the newspaper reports from years ago. Interestingly, the media has been mum on NAMBLA for quite some time, but online searches show a lot of NAMBLA activism in Canada.

6. Therese says:

God’s Law is the highest. We do not obey governemt Law when it is opposition to law of God. OF course, the emphasis here for the Democrats is to Win IN THIS TEMPORAL WORLD…TO THEM THE MEANS justifies the end,to fill their pockets! There is no such ‘thing’ as “EQUALITY” we are equal only to the pursuit of Truth, Happiness, Freedom, Liberty,etc.
      Gays Lesbians are breaking down society (the BASIC Family unit)
      Please study Natural Law by Edmund Burke author Peter J.Stanlis 1986. There are many definitions but only ONE true one. Also Natural Law: Reflections on Theory & Practice by Jacques Maritain St. Augustine’s Press,South Bend,Indiana. 3rd book “LIBERALISM IS A SIN” by Fr.Felix Sarda Y Salvany traanslated by Conde B. Pallen, PhD., LLD. Many philosophers led the “Sheeple ” down the path we are experiencing today. The Democratic party uses their ‘Limbic Brain” no Logic! Finally, NO WOMAN has a “right” to her own body!May God help our priests and bishops who are so liberal they are socialistic.Amen.