MEAT FRIDAY!

Because I am lazy (note how frequently I post) and because my wife (Housewifespice) just wrote about this subject on her awesome blog and because I love meat, I am resurrecting (gratuitous Easter reference) a post from a year ago.  Enjoy!

If you’re like me and you hate fish – and seafood, shellfish, anything that tastes anything like fish (no, it doesn’t taste like chicken) – then generally Friday’s are sort of miserable.

Looks delicious, doesn't it?

My Friday diet tends to be composed of pasta, peanut butter and other carbohydrate things that make me fat.  And let’s face it, they don’t taste anywhere near as good as meat.

My favorite things to eat are things that once had hooves and talons, not scales and slime. I fantasize about working at a butcher shop and cutting meat with giant knives and bandsaws.  One Easter, I had to use a hacksaw to cut through the femur on a leg of pork (yes, I am that manly).

This is probably what Heaven is like.

I must note that I am deeply grateful that our Lord and Savior did not consecrate fish at the Last Supper or I would probably now be a Unitarian.

Luckily for me (and for you), a few glorious Fridays per year are also Solemnities on our Liturgical Calendar. Now as we all know, Solemnities are days of Feasting not Fasting.  They are days for celebration and not penance. Being a confirmed fish-hater, I take particular delight in the celebration of these days of Solemnity.

I like to call them “Meat Fridays.”  They are those high Holy Days that get me off the hook from abstaining from meat.  Aren’t you impressed that I can find a way to make a feast of the Catholic Church all about me?  I am a bad Catholic.

Anyway, tomorrow, Friday in the Octave of Easter, is happily one of those days.  The Solemnity of the Resurrection is so awesome that it lasts for 8 days!

Meat can even make Star Trek appealing.

So, put a thick steak on the grill or fry some bacon.

Feed the fish to a cat and embrace your Catholic identity!

Patrick Thornton has a real job (sort of).  He likes eating meat and getting caught in the rain.  Under the name Archbishop LeGrille, he once wrote about a theology of grilling for which he was labeled a manifest heretic by his dumb friends.  The views expressed here may or may not be his own.  It depends who’s asking.

8 thoughts on “MEAT FRIDAY!

1. race says:

In Bantayan Island Philippines, its allowed by the Church to eat meat during Lent. For the reason that whole year round they only have sea foods.

2. PJS says:

A friend told me that it is all right to eat meat on Friday during lent if you have not eaten meat on another day that same week. Does anyone know anything about this? Their priest supposedly told them that it was OK.

3. Bill says:

I was only able to get up to the hacksaw part.

4. Daniel says:

I was ready to be snarky, but your meatship enterprise disarmed me. Shields down, for some unexplained reason?

Cheers !

1. Patrick Thornton says:

The Meatship Enterprise should totally be the name of a band.

5. Ken says:

Since my college days, I’ve been celebrating Easter Friday as “Meating Friday”, the first Friday after Lent, and reminding people that if they don’t eat meat on that day, it’s tantamount to a denial of the resurrection.

One year, I took down a porterhouse steak with all the trimmings in honor of the feast. Another year, I hosted a rib cook-off competition, and we all ate about 29lbs of ribs together.

I also celebrate the Friday immediately before Ash Wednesday as “Low Friday”, with a bacon festival.

1. Patrick Thornton says:

You had me at 29 pounds of ribs. We should be friends. Your celebrations are obviously truly Catholic.

However, I do hope that you are offering up some other form of penance or act of charity on “Low Friday” since that day is usually not a solemnity and is a regular penitential Friday.

6. Rod says:

I haven’t eaten meat on Friday’s for a few years now and love “Meat Fridays”! I usually find out about them from reading blog posts like these but would like to see a calendar somewhere that has these feasts days noted. Do you know where I can find one?