The Pope Emeritus Responds to an Atheist

Benedykt_XVI_(2010-10-17)_2The National Catholic Register’s website has the full text of Pope emeritus Benedict’s letter in response to the Italian atheist, Piergiorgio Odifreddi.  Odifreddi had written a book –Dear Pope, I am Writing to Youwhich dealt critically with some of Benedict’s own writings, such as Jesus of Nazareth and Introduction to Christianity.  Odifreddi’s book came out in 2011, but Benedict explains that his duties prevented him from responding before now.

I had to smile at his opening paragraphs, in which Benedict addresses his critic courteously but forcefully:

Today, therefore, I would at last like to thank you for having sought in great detail to confront my book, and thus also my faith. This in large part was precisely what I intended in my address to the Roman Curia at Christmas 2009. I must also thank you for the faithful manner in which you dealt with my text, earnestly seeking to do it justice.

My opinion of your book as a whole, however, is rather mixed. I read some parts of it with enjoyment and profit. In other parts, however, I was surprised by a certain aggressiveness and rashness of argumentation.

I would like to respond chapter by chapter, but unfortunately I do not have sufficient strength for this. I shall therefore choose a few points that I think are particularly important.

When I read that I thought: “Yes, Odifreddi, you got the pope to read your book–but you also awakened the old German university professor!”

Beyond this, however, the letter contains a number of nice passages on various important topics.

• On the relationship between faith and reason: “An important function of theology is to keep religion tied to reason and reason to religion. Both roles are of essential importance for humanity. In my dialogue with Habermas, I have shown that there are pathologies of religion and — no less dangerous — pathologies of reason. They both need each other, and keeping them constantly connected is an important task of theology.”
  • On the Church as a sign of goodness and beauty, despite the evils that afflict it: “If we may not remain silent about evil in the Church, then neither should we keep silent about the great shining path of goodness and purity which the Christian faith has traced out over the course of the centuries. We need to remember the great and pure figures which the faith has produced — from Benedict of Nursia and his sister Scholastica, to Francis and Claire of Assisi, to Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross, to the great saints of charity like Vincent de Paul and Camillo de Lellis, to Mother Teresa of Calcutta and the great and noble figures of nineteenth century Turin. It is also true today that faith moves many people to selfless love, to service to others, to sincerity and to justice. You cannot know how many forms of selfless assistance to the suffering are realized through the service of the Church and its faithful. If you were to take away everything that is done from these motives, it would cause a far-reaching social collapse. Lastly, neither should one keep silent regarding the artistic beauty which the faith has given to the world: nowhere is it better seen than in Italy. Think also of the music which has been inspired by faith, from Gregorian chant to Palestrina, Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Beethoven, Bruckner, Brahms, and so on.”
  • On the limits of a mathematical or naturalistic/scientistic religion: “I would like especially to note that in your religion of mathematics three fundamental themes of human existence are not considered: freedom, love and evil. I am surprised that with a nod you set aside freedom which has been and still remains a fundamental value of the modern age. Love does not appear in your book, nor does the question of evil. Whatever neurobiology says or does not say about freedom, in the real drama of our history it is present as a crucial reality and it must be taken into account. However, your mathematical religion knows of no answer to the question of freedom, it ignores love and it does not give us any information on evil. A religion that neglects these fundamental questions is empty.”

Categories:Culture Pope Benedict Theology

33 thoughts on “The Pope Emeritus Responds to an Atheist

1. Barbara says:

Pope Emeritus Benedict is not finished yet, he will lead the Catholic Church again, he is alive for a reason.

2. bo_leggs says:

Praise Jesus that we had such a learned, yet humble and saintly, man as Vicar of Christ for the years between Pope St. John Paul the Great and Pope Francis. We need more like him in this world.

1. Nathan says:

I find it very interesting that you have chosen to canonize Pope John Paul II as a saint of your own accord before he has even been canonized by the Church. I would warn against such actions.

1. Jason says:

Nathan, really? The person above you is just excited about the scheduled proclamation, not “canonizing on their own accord.” Seriously…

2. Triarii says:

He is to be a St…Officially in April…there is little harm in using the term, as there is little doubt of his holiness.

3. Patrick De Louise says:

I no not Pope emeritus Benedict personality. However, I know him only through the eyes of social media and I believe him to be a devoted religious man. I do believe that religion is the opium of the people. However, this religious opium is the extension of the human mind and spirit in it’s attempt to correct human misdeeds and frailties. It promotes the goodness of the human mind and spirit and helps people internally and externally to deal with pain, sorrow, and grief and the belief that tomorrow will be a better day.

The one memorable fact that remain etched in my mind from WW II, is there were no atheist in fox holes and trenches fight for liberty and freedom.

1. adibese says:

“No Atheists in fox holes” makes no sense. Everyone in a fox hole is an Atheist. If you truly thought that god was in control, you wouldn’t need to be in a fox hole. And if Heaven was so truly wonderful, wouldn’t you want to go there? No, your base human instinct is to survive. All silly notions of religion were added on by society and disappear when in trouble. Besides, you’re an Atheist to 99.99 percent of all religions out there. You just chose the same religion your parents did.

1. Bruce says:

Obviously you’ve never been in a fox hole. There ARE no atheists, there are only those who spend huge amounts of time and effort fighting against something that they themselves believe does not exist. That IS the definition of insanity.

4. Nancy says:

I miss Pope Benedict so much! What a blessing he was…is,

5. Janet O'Connor says:

I too miss the Pope Emeritus and his clear precise firm but gentle manner. Today Francis was named Person of the Year by Time but no need to worry Benedict was already on the cover of Time when he retired and the caption was THE ONCE AND FUTURE POPE which was the 2-25 issue. He is not at death’s door as some claim and he is doing find but my point is I LOVE HIM and always will because I had so much in common with him. Because of he we have this vacation boom in the US.

6. jackryan says:

Now THAT is how you deal with a smarty pants atheist, not by kowtowing to him.

Oh he is sorely missed. His brilliant and never apologetic about the Faith.