Video: Obama Calls for an End to Catholic Schools

Earlier this week in Northern Ireland, Notre Dame honorary-degree holder President Obama called for an end to Catholic schools, in front of an audience of about 2,000 young people — many of them Catholic:

This was part of his official prepared remarks which are now available on the White House website:

“…Because issues like segregated schools and housing, lack of jobs and opportunity — symbols of history that are a source of pride for some and pain for others — these are not tangential to peace; they’re essential to it.  If towns remain divided — if Catholics have their schools and buildings, and Protestants have theirs — if we can’t see ourselves in one another, if fear or resentment are allowed to harden, that encourages division.  It discourages cooperation.”

I would argue this is actually even worse than it seems at first glance.

After all, under Obama we have seen the rise of a toxic government culture where unelected bureaucrats feel enabled to target and harass American citizens whose political views differ from their own.

Now that President Obama has essentially saw fit to declare open season on Catholic schools abroad, what’s to stop the U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan or other officials in that department from seeing Obama’s remarks as their excuse to start harassing Catholic schools here?

Screen shot 2013-06-20 at 4.45.56 PMIf this sounds crazy, remember how crazy it sounded only a few years ago that Catholic institutions would be forced by the government to pay for contraception and abortifacient pills, or how crazy it sounded only a few months ago that the IRS would intentionally target conservatives for audits and other politically-motivated harassment.

Obama’s remarks also, once again, went out of their way to single out Catholics. As Fr. Z pointed out:

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a foreign visit to a Islamic nation where he told people on his arrival that they shouldn’t have madrasas.  Can you?

Did he when visiting, say, Israel, say “You Jews shouldn’t have synagogue schools and you Muslims shouldn’t have mosque schools.”  I can’t remember.  Did he?

Of course not — because such comments would rightfully invite criticism and be condemned.

Outside Catholic circles, I don’t see anyone talking about what Obama said about Catholic schools in Ireland.

Protestants should be offended as well.

And here’s my biggest concern — Obama really believes what he said. He really does believe Catholics and Protestants having their own schools is “part of the problem.” And so does the left.

So speak up now, while we still have a chance of grabbing his attention and showing him we’re not going to stand for it.

Please SIGN THIS NEW CV PETITION to Obama demanding his apology.

First our hospitals and businesses, and now our schools — I’ve had enough.

99 thoughts on “Video: Obama Calls for an End to Catholic Schools

1. Scotus says:

President Obama came to power with his Marxist Saul Alinsky background and pro-abortion record because a majority of Catholics voted for him. As the failure clearly lies within should we not first examine how and when that rot began?

2. Scottish Catholic says:

At the risk of being a highly isolated and unpopular person on this thread, I will attempt to put in my humble opinion.

I said the above quote highlighted by Mr. Peters to my boyfriend’s family who are currently visiting from Northern Ireland and who, dare I highlight, have been involved in politics there for nearly 15 years. Their initial reaction to it was “Yeah what about it?”. I explained how some in America were interpreting this as a call to end Catholic (and Protestant) schools. They burst out laughing and said this sentence is taken completely out of context. Obama is referring to the viscious turf war, a type and extend that us outside NI we can barely begin to contemplate. In a place such as Belfast where you can be stabbed for wearing the rival soccer shirt in the wrong part of town, there really is a viscious black and white, us vs. them mentality. Many young people living in unionist areas hate republicans simply because they aren’t one of them (and vice versa) and they hold this opinion without even knowing someone on the other side personally! Buildings and institutions that belong to certain communities are often (not all the time, but OFTEN) used by individuals as a way of staking a claim on the land and make political allegiances loud and clear. (i.e.: this is the Boys Brigade meeting house, you are on the wrong side of town pal). There is no call whatsoever to end religious education in this speech, although those who maybe be fishing for complaints may interpret it as such. I am a practicing committed Catholic and I stand with my American friends in saying that Obama has treated our Catholic Church with horrific contempt. But this? No, this quote is being blasted out of context to breathless extents. Those who don’t know exactly what I’ve been to refering to, I invite you to take a good walking tour around the communities in NI to see for yourself what what hardened fear and resentment look like.

Thank you for your time. God bless you all dearly and have a good night. Pax.

1. Scotus says:

President Obama knows exactly why he used the emotive words ‘segregated schools’ and why he said: ‘If towns remain divided – if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs …..that encourages division.’ He is simply endorsing the Northern Ireland Government’s view that Catholic schools are a problem. At present there are only two types of school in NI: Catholic and non-denominational. The latter are not exclusively Protestant and are shared by every faith and none. After centuries of anti-Catholic discrimination the NI Government is now actively promoting the introduction of so called ‘mixed faith’ schools as the solution to inter-religious violence . This effectively means Catholics should give up their schools and be absorbed into the non-denominational sector. Unlike other parts of the world, in Northern Ireland and Scotland ( where too exists rabid anti-Catholicism), Catholic schools are thought of as a problem to be got rid of. Humanist and secularist organizations are also jumping on the bandwagon to attack Catholic schools for being divisive. President Obama clearly shares their views. US Catholics be warned.

3. Carol Pettit says:

Maybe if our president would stay out of religion and concentrate on his duties as a goverment leader maybe just maybe he would do better. He must remember God is in charge of this world not him.

4. mary king says:

I went to Catholic schools all my life, I don’t know how my parents, with 10 children living paycheck to paycheck on one income (my father was a simple carpenter), managed this miracle, but I’m grateful for their sacrifices. Now that I’m 60, I feel I’ll never be able to retire because I will need to help pay for the Catholic school tuition for my 6 grandchildren. I’ve always hoped that someday parents would be able to send their children to whatever public or private school they wished. We all pay taxes to support public schools even when we desire to send our kids to private schools, it’s so unfair!!

5. El says:

Perhaps if the Catholic clergy once again became One, Holy, Catholic, Apostolic!

6. Gertrude Winslow says:

We are loosing everything. It has gone too far.